FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » number[s] of the day

Author Topic: number[s] of the day
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Eight. The number of people who purchased a useless app for $999.99 through Apple's iPhone store. Also a significant figure in the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, set to begin at today 8:08 AM Eastern.

--j_k

[ August 09, 2008, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry didn't read this before posting my effort.

Eight is indeed the number today. Not nine, nor yet seven, unless it be on the way to eight. Ten is right out...

*exits stage left*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
Eight. The number of people who purchased a useless app for $999.99 through Apple's iPhone store.

--j_k

They should have named the app "I am rich and dumb"! [Big Grin] I bet they'd still have found someone who'd have bought it...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Great. Now I have Count von Count singing in my head. "Number of the day, number of the day, number of the day, of the day, of the day... (Hey! Hey! Hey!)"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Chicago, so I still remember the significance of 08-08-88.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally unrelated, but Why is this news?. It reads like something from the Onion, but it sounds real. Is it a parody of something? If not, why is it news? Is this a famous school or something?

[ August 08, 2008, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's called a "human interest/local interest" story. It's more interesting if you actually live here. I know kids who go to that HS (they attend my ward.)

Plus, with the LA Times laying off reporters and other staff right and left, they're scrambling to fill space some days lately. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well, we get local interest in my local paper, but not in the city-wide one. Even so, it's usually "local kid/adult/senior does something extraordinary", not "local kid/adult/senior goes on a holiday and has a good time." It sounds like the reporter was somehow with them, too.

Surely, surely, in a city as large as Los Angeles there are kids doing things more extraordinary than going on a rather standard school trip and buying a lot of souvenirs. For example, there was a local interest story on the front of my local paper this week. A group of kids had made a movie together. No, it's not breaking news or even that unique, and I did think it rather stretching for front page, but they did create something and we've had a spate of kids being idiots recently, so I think they were looking to balance it.

The headline of the LA Times article should have been "Drama Kids go to New York, have the best trip ever" and it would fit right into The Onion.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
39,000. Estimated number of persons killed by "Fat Man" -- the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki on August 9, 1945.

21. Explosive yield of "Fat Man," measured in kilotons of TNT.

50,000. Explosive yield of Tsar Bomba, the largest atomic weapon ever detonated, also measured in kilotons of TNT.

55,000,000. Approximate number of deaths over the course of the Second World War. Other estimates run as high as 70 million.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.