FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 08-08-08

Author Topic: 08-08-08
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed this; today's date is the eighth of the eighth, 2008.

It probably means something to someone, somewhere.

(Apart from my mate Dave that is, whose birthday it is today. Happy birthday Dave.)

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think the Olympics starts today? [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
At 8:08 PM no less. That is, until they moved it up by thirty minutes.

[ August 08, 2008, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: manji ]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was too early -- they needed an extra day to plan?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was to conincide with Dave's birthday...

(I always thought he looked a bit Chinese)

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I know a lot of people who are getting married today.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
My youngest boy was born on 6/6/6. A nurse mentioned that there were no inducements scheduled for that day. [Smile]
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend had a scheduled c-section and moved it up a few days to make sure her son was not born on 6-6-06.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Today is actually my birthday, and I'm loving the novelty of the date.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I had that last year on 7/7/07. That was my birthday. It was pretty cool.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Just so you guys know- that was 888th post.

The Irony! O the Irony!

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a couple who got married on 06/06/06. It was strangely not crowded at the Salt Lake Temple that day.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Clay Aiken apparently had a baby born at 8:08 AM today too.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
Just so you guys know- that was 888th post.

The Irony! O the Irony!

Like rain on your wedding day? [Wink]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been feeling somewhat down today, and of all the things that could have helped, this thread did so the most.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom always refered to these as Golden Days and if it fell on your birthday of your age it was your Golden birthday so for example an 8 year old today would have their golden birthday.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
In biblical numerology, 888 stands for Jesus.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Had two weddings today thats right two. That I went to not that I was married twice today.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brett Moan
Member # 11641

- posted      Profile for Brett Moan           Edit/Delete Post 
08-08-08 is the official "Lose the Game" day

I just lost the game.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody knows that the 8th son of an 8th son will become a wizard. Occasionally even when the son is a girl.
And the 8th son of an 8th son of an 8th son is born a sourcerer. Born as a source of magic; which has a troubling characteristic of infecting vast areas with highly concentrated magical energy; troublesome enough that most wizards maintain celebacy to avoid even the remote possibility of having an 8th son.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
My youngest boy was born on 6/6/6. A nurse mentioned that there were no inducements scheduled for that day. [Smile]

I went to Hell on 6/6/06. I'm just glad it was in the Summer, because it would've sucked to drive there when it's all frozen over.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but the summer heat is almost as bad as Arizona.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
It would have been my parents' anniversary. It ended up being the day of my mother's funeral.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobbie,
I'm so sorry to hear that. How are you and your family doing?

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I never know how to answer that question.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about it. Condolences to you and your family.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

I'm sorry to hear your bad news Dobbie. I you and your family are OK.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
My nephew was born on 8/8/08. He's part Chinese, so it's incredibly lucky. I suppose it would be anyway, but being Chinese his family recognizes it. Hi Mackayan!

Edit: Upon rereading I wanted to apologize if this post is insensitive to Dobbie. I'm sorry for your incredible loss.

[ August 22, 2008, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.