FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Digital picture frames

Author Topic: Digital picture frames
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been considering getting my wife a small LCD picture frame for her desk- the kind that revolves through a selection of pictures from a digital camera, either through its own internal memory or an inserted memory card.

Has anyone had an especially good or bad experience with one they'd care to share? There isn't a whole lot to obviously distinguish them, and it's not the sort of thing a lot of people seem to have reviewed.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, they're expensive enough that I've only had experience with one model. One thing I hadn't counted on, myself, was that the quality of the screen is only one of a few things to consider. The software interface -- the level of user control over the slideshow function, for example -- and the hardware design (like where the cords need to attach or cards need to be added) also matter a great deal.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one on Black Friday last year for $50. You slide the card in and it plays a slideshow, it has speakers so it can play movies, MP3s, it has a calendar and alarm clock. It's pretty cool, and the screen resolution isn't half bad.

It hasn't worked the last couple times I tried to turn it on, so, I'm not sure what's up with that, but it's nice and it was cheap so no complaints.

If you just want to slide a card in and have it play a slideshow, you'll probably be happy with most any model, but if you want a certain level of control, that which Tom alludes to, and a certain design, then you'll just have to shop around.

Amazon has pretty decent reviews of the various models on their website.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
We got my dad a Pandigital Photo Frame for Father's Day this year. His boss had one and he loves being surrounded by family pictures.

I set it up for him and found it very easy to use. My parents just got a digital camera a few weeks ago so at the time it was important for it to have a large internal memory. So I had the choice of transferring from my computer, plugging in a flash drive, or using a camera card. It also could play music but I haven't set that up for him yet.

It had a touch screen interface and a remote which seemed accessible and fun to use at the time. I'll have to ask him what he likes and dislikes about it now that he's had it for awhile. Course, he's not much of a features-guy so he's probably just happy just with the hundred or so pictures I uploaded the first time around.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my mother one for her birthday this last year. I have no complaints about the product itself, but I must say that I don't think it sees any use whatsoever. I go to her house quite frequently and I have yet to see it on.

Of course, the case may very well be different if it's for a work desk. At least there, you have some incentive to show off your pictures. Not much point in scrolling through pictures you've seen 1000 times when you're the only one there to see them.

I think I'll suggest that she take it to work with her next I'm over and see it sitting unused on her end table.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say definately find one with a digital card for inserting. I have one that must be connected to the computer to add pictures and it makes it easier in my mind to just not add new pictures!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.