FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oblivion: PS3, Xbox 360, or PC?

Author Topic: Oblivion: PS3, Xbox 360, or PC?
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here played Oblivion on the PS3 or Xbox 360? I love Oblivion, but have only played it on my PC, and I consider it one of the buggiest games I have ever played.

I have a decent computer: GeForce 7800GS, Core2 Duo, 1gig of ram. I know I could upgrade my computer, and then tweak it through about a million different ways (most of which I am familiar with), but even when I turn the graphics down significantly, the game is still buggy, and melee combat is just not that fun, because there are too many hiccups for a smooth fight.

I found myself spending more time playing with settings and finding workarounds to bugs than I did playing the game. I just am not in the mood to invest the time and money to make my computer play Oblivion smoothly, when it handles a lot of other good games just fine with the graphics turned all the way up.

So, my question is, do the 360 and the PS3 play Oblivion smoothly and relatively glitch-free? I would need them to play it very well, because I would be giving up all of the mod content that the PC allows. I know a new console is a financial investment, but generally not as much as upgrading the various parts of a PC, and at least I would be saving time by just popping the game in and playing, instead of always fiddling with the hardware, settings and graphics.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
The 360 will play pretty smoothly, but mostly because everything is turned down so much from PC-level graphics. I never noticed any stuttering during combat on the 360.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely recommend sticking with the PC version. The trick is to get another Gig of ram, and then: Mods. Yes, Oblivion has a GIGANTIC database of fan-made tweaks that make the game better in so many different ways. You can improve visuals, audio, gameplay elements, difficulty, enemy AI. I can almost guarantee many of the glitches you're annoyed with can be fixed with an hour or two of searching.

Do a google search for Essential Oblivion Mods. There are some out there so great, players herald them as required to really enjoy the game. The PS3 and 360 will never allow you to change the game from how it shipped from the factory.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say- my computer is very similar to yours (Athlon 64 3200+, 7800 GS), probably even a little slower (not dual core), and it runs Oblivion just fine. The only notable difference is that I have 2 GB of RAM rather than 1.

Assuming your have the space on your motherboard for it, investing in another gigabyte of RAM will probably cost you less than buying Oblivion on another system and pay other dividends later.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you're having so many bugs with the game. After some tweaking, my system runs the game fine at high settings with no problems with bugs. And mine is about equivalent to your rig, albeit with an extra gig of RAM.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Saephon, concerning mods: are there any for changing the UI? While I think this is one of the best games I've ever played, I think it's one of the worst UI's ever implemented. My two biggest pet peeves:

1) Can only have one spell active at a time. As a Battlemage, I have literally dozens of spells at my disposal. But my "cast spell" button only casts whatever spell I have active, and you can only hotkey up to 8. So if I have to use one that's not in my top 8, I have to PAUSE the game to go to my list of spells and activate the one I want. Which brings me to my next pet peeve.

2) Limited hotkeys. They only give you 8, and you can't use any key you want; you have to use the numbers 1-8 in the alpha section of the keyboard. When I play, I have my right hand on the mouse and my left hand on the 10-key pad (that's the way I've always played, going all the way back to Doom. I was never able to get used to the fact that the alpha keys are not lined up vertically. Every new game I play, I try to stick with this setup so I don't have to learn a new keyboard setup for basic things like move forward, move backward, shoot, jump, etc.). So when I want to activate one of my hotkeys, I have to take my eyes off the screen to look at the keyboard. I just can't believe in this day and age, a game like this wouldn't allow complete keyboard customization.

But my love for the game outweighs my dislike for the interface. But I would welcome a mod that fixed this.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey Saephon, concerning mods: are there any for changing the UI? While I think this is one of the best games I've ever played, I think it's one of the worst UI's ever implemented.
Yes. The UI was designed to be used on TVs from 10' away and controlled by a gamepad, and not for a LCD monitor and keyboard. There are several mods out there that fix the UI.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this is kind of the standard UI mod.

It improves a lot.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.