FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Cool Randomness Thread

Author Topic: The Cool Randomness Thread
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to Fandango.com, and got a popup ad for Netflix.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I know that seems a little random for a post, but I couldn't think who else to share that with other than Hatrack, and I don't remember us having a strange randomness thread. In fact, I think I'll change the name of the topic to make it more generic.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
when you need energy, you should eat an apple! (this may be common sence, but i just learned it today, and it works!)
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't ruin my cake.
I accidently did several wrong thing-
Using expired baking powder that still fizzed when added to water
Putting soften butter in the freezer for a while
adding the sugar to the flour mixture instead of the butter mixture
I didn't mix enough
and yet, it still turned out good. Especially the frosting.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
!sknird ygrene lanoitnevnoc tsom naht ouy rof retteb si ygrene ruoh evif
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
One time, about 15 years ago when I was living in Boston, I was supposed to meet a friend of mine at a Pizza Uno. I went there, and I went inside to see if she was there already. I looked around at all the tables, and I didn't see her sitting anywhere. I went to see if she was sitting in the waiting area.

Now the setup of this restaurant was strange. The waiting area was downstairs from the main floor. And the stairs down, were right in the middle of the room. It was basically a big hole right in the middle of the floor with stairs that go down. So I went down there looking for my friend. She wasn't there.

So I come back upstairs thinking maybe she was at one of the tables and I missed her. So as my head rises up above the level of the floor, I start looking around at the tables again. And I wasn't watching where I was going. And you know that thing where you're walking up steps, and you think there's one more to step up onto, but there isn't? You go to step on it, and there's just air there? And you almost fall down? You suddenly turn into a marionette with tangled strings? Well, that's what I did. And I'm right in the middle of the room. The whole restaurant saw me. It was like dinner and a show. I had to go back outside.

A few minutes later, my friend walks up and says, "What are you doing out here?" I said, "I can't go back in there." She just started laughing because she knew something funny was coming. I told her what happened and she laughed and laughed. I refused to go back in, we had to go somewhere else to eat.

(There's no randomness in that story, it's just a random thought that occurred to me.)

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

That's random enough.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
From MySpace to the CitySpace cloud.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

That is un-frakkin-believable. Pity www.cityspace.com is taken. Does this actually exist yet, or is it still in planning stages?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:

ɹǝʇʇǝq ǝuo noʎ ʇoɓ ı ʞuıɥʇ ı ‘uɐɯ ɥo
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
for the last 8 months i havent been able to finish any of the books that i started reading. i also couldnt stick to just one book. i miss finishing books.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Have the books been boring? Or have you just gotten distracted?
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

krynn, try some short stories and work your way up! ;D
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough the only books I've started this year that I haven't finished are short story anthologies.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, i think i got you one better what?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
One day, a policeman pulls over Werner Heisenberg for speeding. The cop walks up to the car and says, "Do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg says, "No, but I know where I am."
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-girlfriend is dating a midget.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
One day, a policeman pulls over Werner Heisenberg for speeding. The cop walks up to the car and says, "Do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg says, "No, but I know where I am."

Higgledy piggledy
Herr Werner Heisenberg
Pleaded "Your Honor, it just isn't fair."
That I was speeding
Is not ascertainable
For if it is, I cannot have been there!"

Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:

ɹǝʇʇǝq ǝuo noʎ ʇoɓ ı ʞuıɥʇ ı ‘uɐɯ ɥo
Am I the only one who thinks that backwards and upside-down is easierm to read is just backwards?

Perhaps it was the length/content of the posting.

I'm still not convinced though.

I had a crush on a midget, once. it wasn't so much a crush, but she was a girl in my class, and I thought she was very cute.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
for the last 8 months i havent been able to finish any of the books that i started reading. i also couldnt stick to just one book. i miss finishing books.

I've had a similar problem, for the last few months. People lately have just been handing me books and saying "read this, you'll love it!" and I probably would. I have two or three giant stacks of unread books in my room, and I'm still reading the same two books I've been trying to read for the last few months; a book on the Lincoln/Douglas debates that I'm halfway through, and a book on Yellow Fever that I'm just finishing up.

Maybe I've just been picking up too much non-fiction lately and I need a little fiction to break the cycle. On the other hand, the book I'm replacing the Yellow Fever book with is "Death by Black Hole," which is most decidedly not fiction, and is blowing my mind in all kinds of awesome ways so far.

Try throwing something outside the box into your reading and see what happens.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

This is pretty funny (i found this and thought some people might get a kick outof this) [Big Grin]

Have you heard about this new development?

English or German?

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in
plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".
Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k".This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

Here is the star-spangled banner translated from English to Dutch to French to German back to English using Altavista Babel Fish:

Oh, which were said by early by the morning-grey, so proudly we you twilight ' s to see on can have easily welcomed the latter gleaming? Gallantly, whose spreads lines and the stars clear throught the dangerous fight regarding the disaster physician which we so much ran, watched out. And the red gloss of the rocket resounds against, in air exploded, given the proof by the night, which was our flag still there. Oh to know wallt enough this spangled from star banner still for the topic of the country and the house courageously?

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I can totally hold my breath for three minutes and seven seconds.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
And then what happens?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_Goat:
My ex-girlfriend is dating a midget.

This is what you spend your once-a-year post on? Interesting choice.

*waves hi*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what the heck goat? Where you been man? [Smile]

I replaced an engine at work and the the transmission broke. I had the transmission out of the car at one time. 3rd gear exploded. Now I have to take it out again. Random and frustrating. [Dont Know] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
And then what happens?

Well...nothing. But that's not the point, dangit!

But it does mean that when I'm being chased by a serial killer, I'll be able to hide quietly under the water until he moves along.

And you won't. [Taunt]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
You can hold you breath for that long under duress?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Theoretically, yes. I'm actually surprisingly good at it.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

I didn't try guacamole for the first time until I was 37. And I love it.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
You can hold you breath for that long under duress?

And what about fully clothed?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
I can totally hold my breath for three minutes and seven seconds.

My record is three and a half minutes. Of course, that was when I was 20 years old. I doubt I could do it nowadays.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
CitySpace is actually LivePlace, a working program created by Otoy for AdvancedMicroDevices: partially to demonstrate the capabilities of AMD chips, and partially to convince AMD to back/subsidize the creation of a Google-like cloud of rendering machines.

Theoretically, the end-user would need no more than the equivalent of a monitor and dumb terminal with the LivePlace cloud doing all the heavy computing. Whether it is actually (and economicly) scalable for mass market interactions is an open question.

And for the inhabitants, ImageMatrix

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
And this is the Gettysburg Address translated from English to Dutch to French to Greek to English again. This is kinda a fun game [Big Grin]

quote:
If years that passed our fathers that are presented front in this continent, a new nation, priss in the freedom, and are dedicated in the proposal that all worlds created are equal, it celebrates note and seven. Now, we have dealt with a big urban war that it can bear or this nation, or n'? import whoever so much that begins and if concrete nation, examines for a long time. We meet itself in a big field of battle of this war. We are a part of this ground, as the final comfortable placement for [aytoes] it comes it dedicates that their life has given here what could live the nation. It is completely suiting and correct that this it will be supposed we make.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Original Cake Story:
I didn't ruin my cake.
I accidently did several wrong thing-
Using expired baking powder that still fizzed when added to water
Putting soften butter in the freezer for a while
adding the sugar to the flour mixture instead of the butter mixture
I didn't mix enough
and yet, it still turned out good. Especially the frosting.

After several translations:
I didn't ruins my English cake.
I coincidentally several made the thing find.
I Use the chemical yeast of that taken place still, if added to the Water it gushed.
Places the butter in the low radiator becomes for a tender period.
To add the sugar to the flower mixture instead of the butter mixture.
I didn't enough mixture and however it appeared still good.
Particularly the berijpen.

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced that the sound effects for the HWG eating his sandvich in Team Fortress 2 are a straight rip from Sesame Street's Cooke Monster. DUDE! It's the truth. Check it out!

Fast Forward to 2:58 seconds and watch the last 15 seconds or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xewJOKyyoc

Watch it already... SEE WHAT I MEAN!!!

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Bilbo's walking song translated, English->Dutch->French->German->English:

The original:
quote:
The road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
and I must follow if I can.

Pursuing it with weary feet,
until it joins some larger way.
Where many paths and errands meet,
and wither then? I cannot say.

Translated:
quote:
The road goes one day and down from the door, where it began. Now much persisted the road, and I must follow, if I can. The continuation with the fatiguing feet, jusqu' at this qu' it corresponds itself or other larger art. where meets many roads and the reports then and the hybrids? I cannot say.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

And the ring inscription:

quote:
A ring, in order to decide it, a ring, in order to find. a ring, in order to bring it, and into darkness binds!
Actually that one's not bad.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.