FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three Cups of Tea

Author Topic: Three Cups of Tea
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read this book? It's amazing! It's making me so happy! I'm about halfway through it.

For those who haven't heard of it, it's about Greg Mortenson who was a mountain climber who fell in love with the people of the Himalayas, and vowed to build a school for the children of one particular remote village. He's now the director of the Central Asia Institute (CAI), which has built over 50 schools throughout Central Asia. It's the coolest story!

I feel like the future of the planet will be made by people like this, who see a need and fill it. I feel like we at Hatrack are part of this, and will be a bigger part going forward. It makes me feel so hopeful and inspired.

Has anyone else read the book? Or been connected with the CAI in any way? Given them money or other help? What do you think of this?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it and thought he is an amazing person, however, I wouldn't want to be married to him! [Smile] I have not donated but I know people who have heard him speak about his experiences and were very impressed.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard an interview with him on NPR a little while back and it was really interesting and he seemed like a really cool person.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
The school I teach at has students read this book and companion video featuring the author's daughter. We then do a "pennies for peace" drive and send the money to the CAI.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Strider, I'm going to look for that interview. He does sound like a totally cool person.

Sweetbaboo, I agree that it would take a special person to be married to him! It seems like he and his wife are perfect for each other, though. I loved the "Peace on Earth" family Christmas card showing them holding their baby daughter and two Kalashnikovs at the Khyber Pass. =) I guess since he had missionary parents and grew up in an African village, plus lived the mountain climbing life for so long, it just doesn't seem that odd to him to to camp out wherever in the world he happens to find himself.

BC, I think those "pennies for peace" drives are one of the most hopeful things I've ever heard. What could possibly be better for kids to get involved with? That's a great vision to give the next generation, who will be the ones left to clean up this whole mess. The idealism that kids bring to the picture is the force that will transform the world.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god, I was so going to just start a thread about the book! Beaten to it.

I had to read it for school, freshman summer reading. And I hated it. I mean, I'm in college now, that's like, middle school stuff, summer reading, right? And it's got to be one of those cheesy save the environment, save the children, save the whales kinds of books. Plus, it was boring. I read the first 80 pages and gave up, trying desperately not to stick carrot sticks in my eyes.

After a month, I felt guilty. I mean, it was assigned reading, and I wanted to start the school year off on the right foot. So I picked up where I left off, and got totally caught up in his story.

Everybody says that this story or that is unbelievable. Sometimes I believe them, most of the time not. But I believed this one. Perhaps because of the way it's written, very down to earth, very humble. I mean, this guy has totally earned bragging rights, but.. he doesn't. It's cool. He's gone through so much, and I'm not just saying that, to get his schools built. Craziness. But true.

My school got him to come and speak during our orientation.
Probably one of the most influential speakers I've ever heard. Throughout the whole book, it was stressed how bad a public speaker he was, and it's true he sometimes stumbled over his words or repeated himself, but, that only served to drive in his point even more. I mean, he's only human, he's a totally regular guy, he makes mistakes. The first chapter of his book is titled "Failure," for heaven's sake.

I wish there was something I could do. Reading him, and hearing him speak, I was so ready to pack my bags and catch the next flight to Pakistan. There were buckets all over, "Pennies for Peace" buckets, so I donated all I had in my wallet ($5.17). And I bought copies of his book for my mom and grandma and some friends and a few to leave in airports.. But it's not enough. So now I'm looking into international volunteer societies, but, I doubt it'll come to anything.

Did I mention that I actually got to meet the man? After his speech, there was a book signing. I was first in line. Everyone clapped as he walked in, which was pretty cool. He's kind of fumbly, but in this oddly controlled, powerful way.

Right, at any rate, I was totally impressed by him and I highly suggest this book to anyone, not that anyone will really take the recommendation seriously, I'm just trying to get the word out there.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me so much of that nobel peace prize winner, the guy who started grameen bank, whats his name?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Mohammed Yunus is the guy you mean. I totally think Greg Mortenson will win the Nobel Peace prize one day too. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Is there a way we can nominate him?
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
You can nominate him, provided you are a:

1. Member of national assemblies and governments of states;
2. Member of international courts;
3. University rector; professor of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; director of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes;
4. Person who has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
5. Board member of organizations who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
6. Active and former member of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1) and
7. Former adviser appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.