FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wish Me Luck! [Update: food / shopping in Ft. Worth?]

Author Topic: Wish Me Luck! [Update: food / shopping in Ft. Worth?]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow I leave for Fort Worth, Texas as an American Red Cross representative. I have never been assigned to a national disaster before and I am a little (read that: very) anxious. I decided that it was time I put my money where my mouth is and got my hands a little dirty. I just received my degree in Nonprofit Administration and have entered the University of Nebraska Medical Center's Public Health graduate program. I thought it was time I did some real volunteer work and helped the people who really needed it. I return in three weeks and I hope to come back a changed person. One who is a little wiser and a little less spoiled. I admit, I am quite surprised by the amount of support I have received from those I have told. My professor is allowing me to miss three weeks of class. He said that this was part of doing things "for the cause," and then he wished me luck and safety. I have never seen my family so proud. I'm proud of me, too. I never thought I had it in me.

So, farewell, Hatrack, for a while. I will see you in a few weeks.

[ September 01, 2008, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is proud of you aswell.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I'm sure you're going to do great. We are way proud of you. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused.... has there been a disaster in Ft. Worth that I've missed?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo everyone else, including the confusion on what is happening in Fort Worth. Is that an evac center for potential Gustav victims?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
It is just one of the places the Red Cross is grouping just now. It is likely that I will be transfered elsewhere during my three weeks (places that are going to get hit).
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. You're going to do great. We're proud of you!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, Valentine! I'm quite proud of you as well. =)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Niki is doing well, still in Fort Worth at the moment, working crazy hours.

She has asked me to see if anyone on hatrack has any suggestions as to food / shopping in the Fort Worth area.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I live here. Let me ask some friends what we have; I'm under the impression that we don't have a lot. (I've only lived here about a year.)
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if there are HEBs there but if so they have great produce and usually are very reasonably priced!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
'Kay, so here's the deal with Fort Worth: There isn't really much of a "city" here. It's more like a bunch of towns mashed up together. Fort Worth is far better known for its sights and culture than its shopping. We have several cool museums that are close to each other in the cultural district, like the Modern (Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth) and Amon Carter. We have a huge Botanical Garden with a neat Japanese Garden inside on University. The Botanical Garden is free and the Japanese Garden has a nominal fee of something like three dollars. The Fort Worth Zoo is pretty great, too, compared to some that I've seen. It's also on University. We have the Stockyards which is a historical district with a couple of good restaurants that have barbecue and similar. Every morning at eleven thirty they "drive cattle" through the street, which is a fancy way of saying "prod twelve half-dead cows for two hundred yards and let them eat grass." It's still fun to watch. There are actually more mounted police and cowboys than cows so it's pretty funny. There's a good fudge shop there too!

Arlington is less than thirty minutes away and there's a ton to do there: There's Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, and several other attractions there.

As far as eating and shopping, I really can't tell you much. It's not something I do very often and neither do any of my friends, apparently, because they are clueless. I CAN tell you that the malls here suck; but there are some great ones in Dallas. One of the best restaurants I know of is Hoffbrau Steak House, which is also on University. In general, most things of interest will be on or around University, both north and south of I-30, and it's worth cruising. There are supposedly some interesting places to eat near TCU, but I've never gone there.

I'm sorry my friends and I are such homebodies! I've gotta get out more.

edit: Oh my gosh, how could I have forgotten Central Market! Thanks, lostinspace. Central Market is the most amazing grocery store ever. It has everything. It's as groovy and organic as Trader Joe's, but it's also very high-class, high-cuisine and eclectic. I could wander around in there for hours. It's on Hulen, just south of I-30. Tell her to go in and sample the artisan breads that my husband made. [Wink] You can sample ANYTHING in the store; they will open any product that they have. It's so awesome.

Technically, although owned by HEB, it's a different store. We don't actually have an HEB here, so I still have to get my staples at Wal-Mart. *sigh*

I am now going to stop editing this post now. I swear.

[ September 01, 2008, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the Dallas area, and I'd essentially echo everything PSI said. One thing to add is that www.guidelive.com is a wonderful resource to find good food and events in the DFW area. It looks like this weekend Fort Worth is having the Texas ZestFest (a festival showcasing zesty food) and a couple of promising art shows.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Ooh, I'll have to use that website myself, Amanecer.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.