FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hurricane Gustav Evacuation

Author Topic: Hurricane Gustav Evacuation
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents just got back from my grandmother's funeral in St. Louis. (she was 95!) After a day of digesting all the Gustav-madness, they've decided that the family is evacuating to Georgia. Usually they go to Lafayette or Houston but those are both out of the picture this time around. It'll also be my first time evacuating.

So today we start packing everything up. We live close to the lake so we're in the flood plain and with a bayou behind our house, its looking pretty likely. My chief concern is getting all of my books upstairs and hoping the roof stays on this time. And also saying goodbye to my car. We're taking my parents' large van for the dogs and I'll probably ride with my brother who only got his car as year ago. So my poor little car gets left behind. Hopefully, if a tree lands on it or it floods, I'll be covered for a new one. But still, it was my first car.

The attitude down here is mixed. Lots of people leaving, lots of people staying including most of my friends. The owner of the dojo were I trained has already announced that classes will still be held Tuesday assuming they have power (which is amazing because they're closer to the lake than I am.) We have a tournament next weekend which is their priority.

I have my laptop so I'll be checking in assuming I can find free wireless.

To all of my other Gulf Coasters, be smart and stay safe!

[ August 31, 2008, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Shanna ]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck - and you stay safe!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody please be safe. I hate hurricane season.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
We're southwest of Houston (20 minutes from the beach) and we're keeping an eye out, but it looks like it won't affect us at all.

Where are you?

Good luck and be safe.

Edit: I just looked at your profile and it says New Orleans. Duh! [Roll Eyes] I hope all is well for you and yours.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

We live on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain just opposite of New Orleans. So we're worried about flooding especially since we have a bayou right behind our house. The water came up to the back door during Katrina and for Gustav we're going to be on the "dirty side" so we're expecting lots of water.

My younger brother is in Baton Rouge at LSU and my mom can't talk him into evacuating with us. They're expecting 90-100 mph winds and we're hoping the campus is taking care of the students who are staying. But he's a college boy so I don't know if he's stocking up on water, not beer, like he should.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Could you add / edit in "for Hurricane Gustave" into your title? I've a feeling that there's gonna be a LOT of posts about Gustav soon..... and having "evacuate" in the title along with "Hurricane Gustav" seems the best way to give folks a heads-up.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! The thought of having to evacuate my house becasue of a natural event is beyond my imagination in this environmentally stable part of the world.

I hope the return is not too traumatic.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My family is staying, but most of my friends in the city are out like a light.

I personally evacuated 6 months ago and moved to the West Coast.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My university in Birmingham is an evacuation site - they are sheltering 300-400 people in our basketball arena.

I'll keep everyone on the coast in my prayers. Good luck to all, may the levees hold and life and property stay safe.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's hoping Gustav cuts north and peters out. Good luck and stay safe!
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
We're riding it out here in Baton Rouge. We already spent some time in a hall closet thanks to a tornado near-miss, but otherwise I think we'll be fine. We have plenty of supplies, water, a small source of electricity (and a hotplate) and alcohol. We're also sleeping on the hall floor because it's in the middle of the house. [Smile]

A lot of people have actually evacuated Baton Rouge, but I don't think it's necessary....plus, I'm the one who has to make sure my new workplace is safe. I have all the important computers and our server with me. I was the last one to leave, and I'll probably be the first one to go back and inspect the property.

I hope everyone else is staying safe!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
How long was mail delivery out when Katrina happened?

Today I've been getting some seed orders ready to ship, and belatedly realizing that, um, maybe I should wait a few days to mail to folks in Louisiana...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
How long was mail delivery out when Katrina happened?

Today I've been getting some seed orders ready to ship, and belatedly realizing that, um, maybe I should wait a few days to mail to folks in Louisiana...

Forever. I came back in January, and USPS lost my mail until around May.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I was in northern Louisiana after Katrina, but if I remember correctly, mail delivery was wonky for months after.

I'd wait awhile. It seems the state is better prepared right now but that all depends on which region you're sending shipments to and how they were impacted. Some areas may be underwater or without power for awhile, others may have alot of wind damage. Plus, do you know if the people you're shipping to evacuated or not? If you have their contact information it might be good to call them and see what they say.

We're in Georgia now and it seems like almost every car in the hotel parking lot has Louisiana plates. I did see one with Georgia plates with a fleur-de-lis sticker on the back window. I wonder what their story is.

Driving through Tuscaloosa was hysterical. Practically not a single empty parking spot at the exit we took. All the gas pumps were occupied and every drive-thru had a line around the building and a long wait inside. Our lunch order at Wendy's was completely wrong. It seemed like they were just throwing random wrapped items in a bag and coming up with whatever charges they wanted. Those poor workers must have been flipping out.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce, it looks like you're in for a rough time, since you're on the northern and eastern side. Stay safe! If it gets really bad, go hide in the bathtub and put a mattress on top of you. I've heard of a lot of people surviving that way even if their whole house disintegrated around them.

We have the hurricane-pattern gusty winds here in Birmingham now, but we're not expected to get more than a few thunderstorms out of this one.

I wish I had made it clear earlier that any hatracker who needs to evacuate is welcome here. The house is a mess but we'd love to have you. We have sofas and one extra bed, plus two cots. It's a little late now to evacuate for Gustav, but the invitation is good for the whole season.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

From looking at the satellite data, it looks as though the eye brushed just south of Baton Rouge, LA, where Pearce, Toretha, Avidaru, and Toretha's sister Jen whose posting name I forget all live. You guys as soon as you get back online, please let us know how you're doing, okay?

The highest wind speeds are just north or east of the eye, and it was still hurricane strength when it came through, possibly 125 miles per hour or so if you add the motion of the storm as a whole (15 mph) to the wind speed (105 mph). That's pretty scary. Please let us know how you're doing, whenever you can.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Sheesh, we have Hannah and Ike plus 3 more possibles out there now. Looks like it's going to be an active season.
Shanna
Member # 7900

My brother is at LSU in Baton Rouge and just called us an hour ago to say that the campus generators were up and running so he has electricity again. He said the wind was blowing but no problems for them. His dorm room is on the first floor so they had some water on the floor but it didn't sound too bad.

My family just heard that power on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain could be out until Saturday. We're trying to decide whether or not to stay in Georgia or pick up a generator and head home. I think they're leaning towards the latter. I am not excited about spending a week in Louisiana with no AC. I had a friend who did it for a month after Katrina but I would go nuts.

It seems like New Orleans dodged a bullet. All of my neighbors are ticked because they think it was alot of panic for nothing. But it seems like clean-up, policing, and fire-fighting is alot easier in an empty city.

I am worried about the levees in Plaquemines parish. Last I saw they were trying to strengthen with sandbags and pump out extra water to relieve the pressure, but it looks like its going to fail.

aspectre
Member # 2222

I'd wait for a Hanna landfall before heading back to the GulfCoast, or at least for her to clear northern Florida.
The NationalHurricaneCenter has kept on predicting a north of northwestward path hitting the EastCoast, and Hanna has continued to trudge west and south toward a passage between Florida and Cuba.

Haiti is getting drowned by Hanna's rainfall on top of the rain from two previous tropical cyclones; with over 2metres, over 7feet of water already flooding Gonaives.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Haiti, they don't seem to be getting enough a break between storms to dry their socks.

NOAA is now showing three named Tropical storms, Hanna, Ike and Josephine moving across the atlantic so it doesn't look like we will be getting any breaks in the near future.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Sheesh, we have Hannah and Ike plus 3 more possibles out there now. Looks like it's going to be an active season.

There are three named storms, including Hanna and Ike, in the Atlantic at the moment. The third is Josephine.

I hadn't heard about the possibles.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aretee:
We're southwest of Houston (20 minutes from the beach) and we're keeping an eye out, but it looks like it won't affect us at all.

Where are you?

Good luck and be safe.

Edit: I just looked at your profile and it says New Orleans. Duh! [Roll Eyes] I hope all is well for you and yours.

Was watching close here too...Wife and I live in Pearland and wife works in Lake Jackson. where are you at aretee?
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends that live in Gulfport, MS evacuated to Chattanooga. They have no power at home (based on the fact that their home phone rings but the answering machine isn't kicking in, when they lose phone, callers don't even get a ring). She works on the military base and has already been told that they're to report back to work on Friday regardless of power, flooding, etc., so they'll be back on the road Thursday to get home in time.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine--I'm in New Haven not baton rouge these days so I didn't even get any hurricane--and my sisters (Fyfe is her SN) and family are fine. Can't speak for Avadaru, but I've not heard anything bad about her.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Just got internet back on my smartphone today. no power until Monday at the earliest, they say. I took pictures that I'll post when electic is back. Sleeping at my wrkplace because although it also ha/ no power, it's a lot cooler than our house.
Shanna
Member # 7900

I hope you get power back soon, Pearce. We had an estimate of the 6th but got a call from our neighbors today saying it came on early. We high-tailed it home before the hotel could charge us another day.

All is good. The tree that snapped in half and almost took out our house during Katrina...well, it snapped again and came very close to going through our kitchen window. I wish the stupid bozo who lives behind us would let us cut the thing down for good. It seems to grow back just in time for another hurricane.

Otherwise, very good. Tomorrow we have to empty the freezers and start fishing stuff out of the pool. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should start clearing off all the stuff I'd piled on my bed in case of flooding, or maybe it would be easier to crash on the couch for the night.

Shanna
Member # 7900

I hope you get power back soon, Pearce. We had an estimate of the 6th but got a call from our neighbors today saying it came on early. We high-tailed it home before the hotel could charge us another day.

All is good. The tree that snapped in half and almost took out our house during Katrina...well, it snapped again and came very close to going through our kitchen window. I wish the stupid bozo who lives behind us would let us cut the thing down for good. It seems to grow back just in time for another hurricane.

Otherwise, very good. Tomorrow we have to empty the freezers and start fishing stuff out of the pool. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should start clearing off all the stuff I'd piled on my bed in case of flooding, or maybe it would be easier to crash on the couch for the night.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Glad to hear y'all are okay! Thanks for the updates.
pH
Member # 1350

Well, still no power at the house, but the Institute got power last night, so we're spending most of our time here. We were beyond lucky. I was hoping to get online and upload some of the pics I took, but something appears to be wrong with the school's network. I need to get it running by Monday when we (probably) will restart classes...anyone want to try to talk me through this by phone? I've checked all the obvious possible issues, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Rabbit, how are you guys faring down there in the Caribbean with all the storms this year? Fay, Gustav, Hannah, Ike, all of them came through the Caribbean first. I forget exactly which island you live on. Have you been in the path of any of these storms?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
We're fine here in Trinidad. We are actually south of the hurricane belt. This close to the equator the coriolis effect is negligible.

Most of our neighbors to the north aren't so lucky. The Turks and Caicos Isalnds got hit first by Hanna as a category 1 hurricane and then only a few days later they Ike is roaring through as a cat 4.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Results from one of the NationalHurricaneCenter's computer models of Ike's path&intensity from the present up to 5days from now. As your cursor (mouse pointer) is scrolled over the highlighted f6 thru f126, the map will change from now to 120hours in the future.

If you are using FireFox, you may want to use Ctrl - to shrink the entire image to fit within your screen.

158+knots = 182+mph

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate when hurricanes enter the Gulf. [Frown]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

That HWRF model was initiated last night sometime. And makes a good argument against taking 5day-predictions too seriously.
Ike weakened itself to a strong TropicalStorm crossing over the highlands of Cuba into the Caribbean, then strengthened back up to a weak Category1 hurricane.
Unless there is a drastic course change, it looks like Ike will recross those Cuban highlands and enter the Gulf of Mexico as a weak TropicalStorm, maybe even as just a TropicalDepression.

Hey, Rabbit, didja know that it's only about a 150mile drive from Trinidad to Florida? (~120miles as the crow flies)
Now all ya hafta do is find a sucker to betcha that you are wrong.

[ September 08, 2008, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Results from one of the NationalHurricaneCenter's computer models of Ike's path&intensity from the present up to 5days from now. As your cursor (mouse pointer) is scrolled over the highlighted f6 thru f126, the map will change from now to 120hours in the future.

If you are using FireFox, you may want to use Ctrl - to shrink the entire image to fit within your screen.

158+knots = 182+mph

They had it tracking to hit South Florida two days ago, so I don't know how well anyone can predict this anymore.

Cuba's getting hammered right now.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

An animation comparing Ike's actual positions with the NHC's projected paths within their margin-of-error cones.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Looking at that animation, I'd say the predictions have been amazingly accurate.
scholarette
Member # 11540

I'm reading this online chat right now about Ike and someone honestly just asked if it would be ok to tie her dog to a tree during the hurricane. Cause being tied to a tree makes it safe to be outside in a hurricane.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Wunderground.com [Wink] WeatherUnderground [Wink] guru on http://www.hurricanecity.com/live.htm now.

[ September 10, 2008, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

scholarette
Member # 11540

So now to decide how mandatory is mandatory. Half a mile and I wouldn't be in that zone.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm reading this online chat right now about Ike and someone honestly just asked if it would be ok to tie her dog to a tree during the hurricane. Cause being tied to a tree makes it safe to be outside in a hurricane.
Doesn't surprise me. My aunt and uncle adopted a 'hurricane dog' after Katrina. The story about the dog I heard was, the dog was locked in a slightly flooded restroom for a few days. That does wonders for a beagle's personality...Yeah, it survived, but it sure had some neurosis about being alone in the dark.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
My family and I (we live in Matagorda County) have evacuated to Austin. Right now the models show IKE heading a little east of us. We're hoping it goes a little more east, but that is not good for you Louisiana people who have had to evacuate so much.

Are you guys (from LA) packing up?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I'm in southeast Louisiana and people started calming down a day or two ago. The weathermen like to talk about potential wind and storm surges from the edges of the storm, but to me it just sounds like alot of noise from local stations who like the ratings they get during hurricane season.

Depending how much the storm turns, I do worry about northeastern Louisiana because that's where I'm enrolled in school and even though I don't live there, its really hard for me to work on my thesis when my advisor and other professors are dealing with evacuations and power outages. I was there during Rita and its a small town so they don't have alot resources when it comes to getting things up and running again. Especially if they're still cleaning up from Gustav.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.