FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Simplicity Bassinet Recall

Author Topic: Simplicity Bassinet Recall
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure most of you are aware of this, since it's been out a week, but I thought it worth mentioning. Link to recall page

quote:
Infants Strangled to Death in Simplicity Bassinets: CPSC Urges Consumers To Stop Using Simplicity 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 Convertible “Close-Sleeper” Models
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging parents and caregivers to stop using convertible “close-sleeper/bedside sleeper” bassinets manufactured by Simplicity Inc., of Reading, Pa. CPSC has learned that on August 21, 2008, a 5-month-old girl from Shawnee, Kan. was strangled to death when she became entrapped between the bassinet’s metal bars. This is the second strangulation death CPSC has learned of in the close-sleeper bassinets. On September 29, 2007, a 4-month-old girl from Noel, Mo. became entrapped in the metal bars of the bassinet and died.

CPSC is issuing this safety alert because SFCA Inc., the company which purchased all of Simplicity Inc.’s assets at public auction in April 2008, has refused to cooperate with the government and recall the products. SFCA maintains that it is not responsible for products previously manufactured by Simplicity Inc.

quote:
Due to the serious hazard these bassinets pose to babies, CPSC urges all consumers to share this safety warning with day care centers, consignment stores, family and friends to ensure that no child is placed to sleep in a Simplicity convertible bassinet covered by this warning.

Please share this information with anyone you know who might possibly have one of these bassinets!

What is worst about this to me, is that this is the SECOND child to die in this bassinet, and no action was taken until now, despite the construction violating federal safety laws.

The father of the child searched to see if they had missed a recall after their baby died, and only then found the local news stories about the first baby who died. The first baby's parents urged a recall but none was ever put out. [Frown]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The image in the link, even though it's just a doll, is incredibly heart-breaking. [Frown]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
When I heard about this earlier this week, I was totally disgusted that SFCA would refuse to cooperate with the safety commission and issue a recall. I understand that they didn't manufacture the bassinet, but it just seems unconscionable to me that they'd be so callous about it.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only callous, but an extremely bad business decision. How much does it hurt in the long term to be known as the company that doesn't care whether its products kill babies, compared to having to buy back or retrofit a few thousand bassinets?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness. We have one of those!! We RARELY used it because Katababy didn't like it. She sleeps with us. I didn't put it together, so I was unaware the gap between the metal bars was even there--the material folds over it.

That picture IS heartbreaking and makes me want to cry.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
What an incredibly stupid design.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet more babies are killed who sleep with their parents than were killed with this bassinet...

Recall the parents?

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really need an explanation of why that logic doesn't make any sense?
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

There is a lot of misinformation about co-sleeping, and it would be easy to come to the conclusion, as you evidently have, that it is unsafe. Co-sleeping can be done safely, just as putting a baby to sleep in a crib can be done unsafely.

It is true that certain organizations discourage cosleeping, and they tend to make blanket statements against it rather than stating why it can be dangerous and how those dangerous situations can be prevented. Sleeping with an impaired parent, on a couch, with soft bedding, with a non-parent, in a bed with dangerous gaps between the mattress and other parts of the bed are all ways that cosleeping can be very dangerous. Some of the dangers of cosleeping are the same as the dangers of sleeping in a crib, and they all must be avoided.

This site does a good job of going over the statistics regarding SIDS and cosleeping. http://www.babyreference.com/Cosleeping&SIDSFactSheet.htm

I made an informed decision regarding the safety and well-being of my child when I chose to cosleep. I believe that my decision has made her happier, healthier, and yes, safer, than if I had put her in the traditional crib down the hall. I don't judge other parents for choosing differently, and I expect the same courtesy.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
What an incredibly stupid design.

Agreed.

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
I expect the same courtesy.

From lobo? Don't hold your breath. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

It's okay. I didn't know him before, but his comment is enough to make me put him on my permanent ignore. I don't let "Internet People" upset me. (Well, not for long, anyway.)
lobo
Member # 1761

That comment put me on your permanant ignore list...Wow.

Do you dispute the fact that many babies are killed or injured while co-sleeping with their parents?

Do know that the American Academy of Pediatrics and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission both recommend that you should not co-sleep?

I understand that it is a touchy subject anytime you are intentionally putting your child at risk with careless behavior.

I sometimes feel a bit guilty when I let my 11 year old ride in the front seat and my 3 year old ride in a booster seat instead of a car seat.

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Did you know that co-sleeping has been the subject of many myths and that studies done haven't necessarily controlled for some of the variables proven to increase risk of SIDS? Did you also know that your tone is way rude?

And yeah, I would feel guilty, too, considering my four and a half year old is still harnessed and has at least a few years to go before outgrowing her seat, the iliac crest is fully developed around 5.5 to 6 years so I don't intend to let her in a booster until then, and I sit in the back seat MYSELF if I can, it's so much safer (but state law says kids under 12 MUST be in the back unless all other seats are occupied, here.) But then, carseats are kind of my "thing..."

lobo
Member # 1761

How do you drive from the back seat. That seems pretty unsafe...
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
There are safe and unsafe ways to co-sleep. Just like there are safe and unsafe ways to transport a child in a car.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you drive from the back seat. That seems pretty unsafe...
That would be why she said "if I can." Presumably that doesn't include when she's driving.

At least, that's the presumption anyone intending to discuss things, rather than simply be rude to others, would make.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

quote:
Originally posted by Minerva:
There are safe and unsafe ways to co-sleep. Just like there are safe and unsafe ways to transport a child in a car.

In context, it would be more correct to say that there are safe and unsafe ways to co-sleep, just like there are safe and unsafe ways to transport an underage child in the front seat...

And yeah, I didn't really think Ms. Kerry was drving from the backseat... duh.

Katarain
Member # 6659

I've read a couple of articles giving more information on the company that bought Simplicity's assets and their refusal to do a recall: Here and Here.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.