FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Too Human Not Too Impressive

Author Topic: Too Human Not Too Impressive
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Was anybody else disappointed with the Xbox360 game Too Human? The cutscenes were good, the voice acting was good, but there were some definite flaws that were apparent after a few hours of play. The camera can be problematic at first, but you get used to it. My two biggest beefs with the game are its difficulty adaption and its long death scene.

As you level up, you expect the game to get harder on a stage by stage basis, but the enemies become harder to kill when you level up, so you never get any satisfaction out of acquiring high skill levels or getting the best equipment.

As for the death scene, you die fairly often, even you are good at the game. You have infinite lives and there is almost no penalty for dying, except for some damage to your armor items. A being from "heaven" scoops you up and whisks you away, and it delays your gameplay quite a bit. It's very frustrating.

I feel I owe MEC an apology, as I recommended the game to him after playing it for an hour. It seemed awesome, but it went downhill. I'll still play the sequels(if they come) since it's the first of a trilogy, but I think I'll trade the game in by the end of the week. It was a short 15 hour game from beginning to end.

Yet another thing it lacked: depth. I remember playing KOTOR on the first Xbox and it took me 15 hours to get off of Taris, one of four stages. Oh well, still worth playing, just way too over-hyped.

Anyone else have any thoughts or am I the only person so far to play it?

[ September 03, 2008, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I was also disappointed. I was pretty excited because the idea of a futuristic scifi game based around Norse Mythology seemed like a great idea, and because the graphics looked really good. I just played the demo, and after an hour I was already getting tired of the slow, repetitive gameplay and various other annoyances.

It had a lot of potential, but the end result was just mediocre.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought what was most disappointing was how good the game could have been. I had been following the game and thought it was going to be game of the year material. After i played the demo though i'm not even going to buy it, soon i'll rent it, but for now i am re-playing Mass Effect.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
My expectations have been met. I had a lot of frustration with the single-player balance, because Too Human is a game that absolutely begs to be played co-op. I got the Valkyrie's Folly (100 deaths) acheivement with my Berserker well before I finished the single-player. I've heard stories of people soloing with Commandos having similar problems.

In hindsight, I should have done the single-player with a balanced class like the Champion, which would have neatly avoided a lot of the issues I ran into where enemies would require melee or ranged combat where the Commando and Berserker have -40% damage penalties, respectively.

Consequently I found the single-player to be a bit of a grind, but it never quite became unfun enough to make me stop. And once I was done with single-player, I moved on to co-op and haven't looked back. The co-op is absolutely exemplary. When Denis Dyack says that Silicon Knights designed Too Human for co-op play, he wasn't kidding. It beats the snot out of every other console hack 'n slash I've played or seen. Tactics shift with class pairing, skill tree selection, and enemy type. A surprisingly wide variety of class and skill combinations are viable if you're willing to adjust your tactics on the fly rather than just trying to bludgeon through everything.

If you went in expecting KotOR, I can see why you were disappointed. This game isn't trying to be KotOR. Personally, I'm really enjoying it.

Added: Long story short, single player is frustratingly unbalanced for at least some of the classes; single-player is not a good reason to buy this game. Co-op is.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about me Nick, I was planning on renting first, and I haven't even gotten around to it anyway. I've also been waiting a bit for T_Smith to rent a copy as well.

When I first heard of the game, I thought it would be similar to a Diablo game except on a console. I was very disappointed to hear they dropped four player co-op however, which would have most likely raised the bar to a purchase.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't really expecting KotOR Twink, I was just using it as a reference for game depth to indicated that Too Human didn't have much of it. I don't really dislike the game, it's just a more "meh" feeling after beating it. The thing I hated most was the long death scene.

Xann, I wish I could replay Mass Effect. I have level 60 characters(max) in all classes. Not that I was addicted to the game. . . . not at all. [Wink]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.