FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spore is only 2 days away.. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spore is only 2 days away..
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I've experienced more crashes in this game than just about any other I've played. Once I got done with the cell phase and tried to go to land the game would ALWAYS crash. Upon looking at my registry, I found that the EA Download Manager was spiking the processor at exactly the same time so I shut it down and haven't had a crash since. It's such a fundamental flaw that I'm really surprised the game launched with it. Although we're talking about EA here, so nothing is surprising anymore.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Think of it this way, tom:

The activation limit doesn't matter that much. You still have two shots at the game's legit use and even if for some reason you blow out both those remaining activations, RELOADED had this game cracked to hell and back even before the street date.

Besides, there is nearly no chance that Maxis is going to maintain the current draconian DRM. It has gone over as poorly as could be anticipated.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. "There are no customer reviews yet."

Guess someone did some cleaning up.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad move by Amazon.

It seems to me that the executives at EA are deeply stupid. The game can be illegally copied by people willing to do it. Meanwhile, legitimate paying customers have to put up with intrusive and (reportedly) buggy DRM measures.

What's difficult about the decision? Make *buying* the game the lower-hassle option, fer cripes sakes.

Or am I missing something? Are there many thousands of casual pirates who will be forlorn and defeated because of this DRM junk?

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the DRM measures were never meant to be used to combat piracy. Perhaps, they're paving the way for Microsoft's subscription-based operating system. Make customers get used to online activation and so forth.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Are there many thousands of casual pirates who will be forlorn and defeated because of this DRM junk?
Probably. Enough to offset the people that don't buy the game, or who won't buy the next game because of it, I don't know. One would guess that someone has "run the numbers" and has decided that it's a good idea.

As for me, I would not have bought the game if not for the fact that my 10-year-old daughter had been mowing the lawn through the summer to earn the money for it.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by manji:
Perhaps the DRM measures were never meant to be used to combat piracy. Perhaps, they're paving the way for Microsoft's subscription-based operating system. Make customers get used to online activation and so forth.

Yeah. It feels like an attack on the First Sale doctrine.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
"One would guess that someone has "run the numbers" and has decided that it's a good idea."

Yeah, I'm sure they think there's a net positive effect, but I wonder if it's based on accepting the DRM software company's sales pitch - a belief that people really *can't* work around it.

Lots o' many people are aware of BitTorrent and cracked software. It seems to me that if someone wants the game without paying for it, they are more likely to try to download it than to borrow their friend's installation media. However, I don't have any evidence that it has worked this way in the past.

Anyway I guess I'll satisfy myself by not buying the game and hoping they notice. [Wink]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to buy it because it looked like this is the exact type of game I would like. I won't be buying it now.

Entertainment is not THAT important to me. There are lots of other non-intrusive forms of entertainment out there. Hell, I am thinking about making a full conversion to Linux anyway.

I have already been using it as a dual boot at home, as has my 4 year old on his computer.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
Whoa. "There are no customer reviews yet."

Guess someone did some cleaning up.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing. Or they put all the reviews back. I see 2217 reviews, 2017 one-star.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
They put the reviews back, yeah. They say they got purged by accident.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else talked to steve?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:

As for me, I would not have bought the game if not for the fact that my 10-year-old daughter had been mowing the lawn through the summer to earn the money for it.

Dude, it's only 50 bucks... that's kind of messed up.

I remember my parents "letting" me earn money by detailing their cars for 10 bucks. It used to take me like 3 hours... and now I realize that for the job I was doing, I could have charged 50 or more.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Yahtzee's review was on top of things.
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scottneb:
I've experienced more crashes in this game than just about any other I've played. Once I got done with the cell phase and tried to go to land the game would ALWAYS crash. Upon looking at my registry, I found that the EA Download Manager was spiking the processor at exactly the same time so I shut it down and haven't had a crash since. It's such a fundamental flaw that I'm really surprised the game launched with it. Although we're talking about EA here, so nothing is surprising anymore.

How did you do that? I'm having the same problem....
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
No one has met Steve?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.