FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Need Product Key for Microsoft Word!!!! Mayfly

Author Topic: Help! Need Product Key for Microsoft Word!!!! Mayfly
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm suck and tired of being asked for a product key every time I open my Microsoft Word. (Home and Student 2007 edition.) So, can anyone help me get the product key? I don't have the cd or the packaging, and it's driving me insane trying to find some way to get it online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
<Removed link. --PJ>

Victimless crime and students should get it for free.

[ September 08, 2008, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure you need the package since the key is printed on it and that without it there isn't really anything you can do.

Where is the package? Can you call someone that's there and have them read you the key?

Edit: This is for legally obtaining the key. Blayne should know better than posting a link there and suggesting that you find a 'free' key. Regardless of his opinion about the theft.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
If you call them enough times they will generally give you a new key. We do that with Windows all the time because it's ridiculous to have to buy a new copy for each computer.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a student? My university gives out free copies of Word and Microsoft's Operating System. (Used to be XP--don't know if they're giving out Vista now.)
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
openoffice.org
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:

Edit: This is for legally obtaining the key. Blayne should know better than posting a link there and suggesting that you find a 'free' key. Regardless of his opinion about the theft.

This is a bit off topic, but I see no problem using a key gen if he had a legitimate key but lost it and can't get a new one without buying the program again.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
<Removed link. --PJ>

Why should students get it for free?
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about you all.

Our laptop came with Vista installed, Office installed, etc. It asks for a key but NOWHERE on the packaging that we got did it have the key... Our solution is just to close the window asking for the key every. single. time. But I wish there was a way to disable that because it does get annoying.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
openoffice.org
Seconded! It works just as well as Microsoft Office IMO and it's interface is very similar.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it a new laptop? You should have received the installation CDs ...
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
<Removed link. --PJ>

Why should students get it for free?
Blayne's a commie, remember? They have a need, so they should get it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
Was it a new laptop? You should have received the installation CDs ...

Yes and nope.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you called the manufacture? Or are you just accepting this as your fate?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
quote:
openoffice.org
Seconded! It works just as well as Microsoft Office IMO and it's interface is very similar.
Thirded. Open Office will fulfill 99.99999% of your needs that Office fulfills. It also runs a hell of a lot faster than the bloatware that is Office.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
Have you called the manufacture? Or are you just accepting this as your fate?

Last I heard, the manufacturer says that it's up to the store to provide the disks; the store says it's up to the manufacturer...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It is up to whomever handed you the computer. Otherwise you have an illegal copy of the software.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you buy the computer?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
If it came preinstalled the key may be stickered on the bottom or side of the computer case, next to the OS key.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
If it came preinstalled the key may be stickered on the bottom or side of the computer case, next to the OS key.

That's how it's been on several machines I have dealt with.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible, kq, that it was only a trial designed to get you interested in it and that they never really gave you a key.

I'll fourth (?) the Openoffice. Also, Google Documents also works really well, and gives you access to them from any computer.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
It's possible, kq, that it was only a trial designed to get you interested in it and that they never really gave you a key.

I hope not, considering we payed extra to get Vista Home Deluxe with Office, etc. included.

I did just look on the bottom of the case, and what do you know, there's a code that looks like it might be a product key...

I'll have to try that next time I use Word or whatever.

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
MS office great student pricing, almost free compared to their normal prices.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

Also, if have installed it, and need to recover your key, this software is great for that.
http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:

I'll fourth (?) the Openoffice. Also, Google Documents also works really well, and gives you access to them from any computer.

I'll throw in a fifth recommendation for that, especially if you are mostly concerned with the word processor portion.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I went to Openoffice. Thanks for the help, everybody.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.