FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Richard Wright: R.I.P.

Author Topic: Richard Wright: R.I.P.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the most distinctive and influential keyboard players of his generation died today. I'm listening to Wish You Were Here and feeling a bit melancholy. [Frown]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
One of the most distinctive and influential keyboard players of his generation died today. I'm listening to Wish You Were Here and feeling a bit melancholy. [Frown]

I'm listening to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" since Wright wrote it. But I'm with you, Pink Floyd certainly expanded what music could be, and the scene is richer because of them.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm - is it really bad that I first thought of Richard Wright, the author, who apparently has been dead for nearly 50 years? On one hand, yay for literary knowledge, on the other hand, boo for missing the Pink Floyd reference, as well as completely forgetting the fact that the author of the books I loved has been dead for so long.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:

I'm listening to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" since Wright wrote it. But I'm with you, Pink Floyd certainly expanded what music could be, and the scene is richer because of them.
When I said I was listening to Wish You Were Here, I meant the album... so I'm listening to "Shine On" as well. [Smile] One of those songs that I'll never get sick of.

I've got his solo album Wet Dream on vinyl, so I might have to pull that out when I'm done.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I was really hoping I had misread when I opened this thread.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm listening to "The Great Gig in the Sky" right now.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad indeed. It's been a bad time for musicians, with Guitar Man Jerry Reed dying a couple of weeks ago too.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
He wrote Us and Them

[Frown]

It's such a nice song.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
"Shine On You Crazy diamond" was just going through my head even though I haven't listened to Pink Floyd in about a month and then I find out Richard Wright died. He will definitely be missed. For some Richard Wright awesomeness, listen to the live wall album where he is actually free to be himself as opposed to the studio album.

Patrick

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The rock industry loses a true great. [Frown]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Pink Floyd stunned me when I, a PF neophyte, bought the "Pulse" album because I thought the cover looked cool and I was vaguely aware that Pink Floyd was a big deal. I guess this was about 13 or 14 years ago. I had only ever heard "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" on the radio, and while a fine song, hearing it out of context without listening to the entire Wall album just doesn't accurately convey what the song really is.

So anyway, I really didn't know anything about Floyd, and I put the first CD of this Pulse album in my CD player and put on my nice new headphones, lay down on my bed in the dark and pushed play, thinking I'd listen myself to sleep within a few minutes. Nope. My heart pounded with excitement all the way through both CDs ("Pulse" was a great name for this one). It was just incredibly GOOD. It remains my favorite album of all time. The performances of "Great Gig in the Sky" and "Comfortably Numb" are easily some of the best I've ever heard live (well I heard the recording of the live performance, I guess). I also love many of the original albums that contributed songs to the Pulse tour - they often have a more piercing, sometimes disturbing, emotionality - but, for me, Pulse has the most impact due to the outstanding vocals (including outstanding backup) and powerful instrumental portions, and for including the best of Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

I'll always be sad that I didn't get a chance to attend a real Pink Floyd concert. The closest I came was "Australian Pink Floyd" which was good, but not like the real thing.

Here's hoping Wright has a great new gig.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.