FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did I miss something at Hatrack? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Did I miss something at Hatrack?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I miss it or anything, but doesn't Hatrack seem way less emotionally/politically charged these days? It's actually...sleepy.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Outrage fatigue.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
The Other Side was a whole heap of angry the past few days, but it has simmered down again.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
It does this.

Hatrack fits into a very nice cyclical existence. I'm sure you could actually map it out if you had the time.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed the cycle from fluff to anger, but I've never seen it quite so slow as now.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Post vacational syndrome. We're all mourning the passing of holiday time, while staring into the grim reality that there are no more public holidays until Christmas (well for me at least).

[Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Just 'cause you live in a "special world".
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been doing this for a year or so.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pretty extended drought of slow, but, one could reasonably expect it to pick back up again when OSC releases his next book soon.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody needs to have arguments here anymore. They just say "we've been through this already" and link to 10 old threads. Even the heated discussions about whether we should resurrect old arguments are old and bloodless.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I'm sure if you brought back Thor and if Slash and Dan and a few others started posting again we'd get fireworks again.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Nobody needs to have arguments here anymore. They just say "we've been through this already" and link to 10 old threads. Even the heated discussions about whether we should resurrect old arguments are old and bloodless.

That, and we have a helpful contingent of people who think it's their job to moderate discussions by simply waiting for small opportunities to make participants look stupid. That in itself is wearisome enough for me.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think there are that many people who willfully are out to do harm like that Orincoro.

I think the basic breakdown in civility comes when people don't give anyone any leeway in discussions. People become so hyperliteral and pick apart your statements and assign arguments to you that you feel you have to defend, and by the time you're done, you just want to wash your hands of the whole place. I've seen lots of people do it. I've had it done to me, and I may have even done it before, I can't say for sure that I haven't.

I think that's where civilized respectful discussion breaks down, but that's just one half of it. The other half is that often people ask others to clarify and an understanding is reached, and a lot of people here really do give you the benefit of the doubt, and they apologize when they make mistaken assumptions. Also, while on that other side, there is sometimes a tendency to dogpile, I think a lot of the time people know when something is over the line and either stop themselves from saying it, or ask others to refrain from saying it.

I'm a little surprised that the election hasn't heated things up, but 99% of the election discussion has been confined to a single thread, which has certainly limited the splash damage from political discussions in other threads.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and thank goodness. I can enter the Election thread on my own accord without having to sift through a bunch of other political threads. It's nice. I turned my politics brain off today and I think I completely missed even noticing the Election thread. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thing that would sum up this time of hatrack is the Dude Cool Peekaboo thread. We're all cool dudes, lets just chill [Cool] *how i so heart that thread*

Dude [Cool] LT

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't think there are that many people who willfully are out to do harm like that Orincoro.

I think the basic breakdown in civility comes when people don't give anyone any leeway in discussions. People become so hyperliteral and pick apart your statements and assign arguments to you that you feel you have to defend, and by the time you're done, you just want to wash your hands of the whole place. I've seen lots of people do it. I've had it done to me, and I may have even done it before, I can't say for sure that I haven't. s.

You're just about the most model poster imaginable, in my opinion, so what you regularly practice is not necessarily representative, but I agree with you. I think I saw this behavior described recently as "a style of rhetoric similar to the construction of a large and inpenetrable tank, supported by people at a distance with slngshots." I grow very sick of the most commonly difficult and unmanageable form of argument, which is the "Quote-Attack-Quote-Attack" line by line sort of thing that certain people get carried away with.

That sort of thing is highly effective, a la Jon Stewart, if it is done once. Applying a separate reply to every line of someone's argument is just mean. It's kind of like drawing a picture of someone that emphasizes all their worst qualities, but still looks like them. As much as those who do this would then argue: hey, the picture is made of words you wrote! It isn't really true- you write words without spaces for comment, so when they do get picked apart or line-edited for worst effect, you can look stupid no matter how careful you are.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Applying a separate reply to every line of someone's argument is just mean.
Only if the phrase quoted is taken out of context. I often use this form of discussion because there are several thoughts expressed in a single sentence, and each may merit specific attention.

I don't care enough to be mean.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, like an aged couple already knowing the outcome of each dispute, we as a whole feel that our many debates predetermined outcome will prove futile.

Or it could just be the quiet before the november storm [Wink]

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Applying a separate reply to every line of someone's argument is just mean.
quote:
Only if the phrase quoted is taken out of discussion
What the heck do you mean by this?

quote:
there are several thoughts expressed in a single sentence
That's only true sometimes. Why are you being so broad with your statements. You sir, are an idiot.

quote:
I may merit specific attention
Not Likely.

quote:
I don't care
Ahah! SEE? What did I say. You are MEAN!
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
You're a jerk Orincoro, way to strike first. What did PSI Teleport do to you?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only if the phrase quoted is taken out of context. I often use this form of discussion because there are several thoughts expressed in a single sentence, and each may merit specific attention.
Excessive quoting is also a problem when it takes the focus away from the larger point the original author was trying to make. After all, most people don't just throw out a bunch of equally weighted assertions in a post. Usually there is some larger point they are making. If you break it down into ten smaller points, and attack each one separately, the larger point tends to get completely lost.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
What the heck do you mean by this?
"This" being the phrase "out of context," I guess.

Context is defined:

quote:
the parts of a sentence, paragraph, discourse, etc. immediately next to or surrounding a specified word or passage and determining its exact meaning
To take a phrase out of context means to remove certain parts of the sentence, paragraph discourse, etc and make the original's meaning obscure or into something the originator did not intend.

For example, the rest of your post.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
quote:
Excessive quoting is also a problem when it takes the focus away from the larger point the original author was trying to make. After all, most people don't just throw out a bunch of equally weighted assertions in a post. Usually there is some larger point they are making. If you break it down into ten smaller points, and attack each one separately, the larger point tends to get completely lost.
This is true. I'm not sure it's problematic, or indicative of poor behavior.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, OSC posted for the first time in over a year, so that's nice to read.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did he post? I must have missed that.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
He was all over the OSC side of the forum for a day about a week or so ago. Scroll back through most of the top threads on that side of the river and you'll be able to find his posts.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It was on the 11th.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats. I need to check that side more often. I rarely go over there. I blame dude-cool-peekaboo.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi PSI teleport. I missed you. I miss me too. But I just don't have a lot of energy for hatrack style discussion lately.

Elsewhere in the real of Hatrack undead, Pat posted on GC today.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

For example, the rest of your post.

Scott, I'm sorry if it wasn't totally clear that I was completely joking. Maybe it wasn't funny... but it was not serious.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Hey Pooka. I completely forgot that GC and sakeriver and those places even exist. Maybe they siphoned off some angry people.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yes, we're pretty much a boiling kettle of rage over at sakeriver. And don't get me started about GC--I think those people actually have rabies, they're so violently angry.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there has been a bit of a brain drain to those places.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

[Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Yes, we're pretty much a boiling kettle of rage over at sakeriver. And don't get me started about GC--I think those people actually have rabies, they're so violently angry.

You should try Ornery then. It's pretty much all bake sales and kitten snuggling over there.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

You should try Ornery then. It's pretty much all bake sales and kitten snuggling over there.
:: nods :: I understand they have a special forum over there just for blowing butterfly kisses on babies' stomachs.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They had to close it down. Apparently too many warm fuzzies can be dangerous to your health.

But they replaced it with a forum just for pictures of polar bear cubs. Apparently being excessively adorable is perfectly safe.

Noemon
Member # 1115

It works for baby seals!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think there has been a bit of a brain drain to those places.
As evidenced by the Fluffy Kittens and Rainbows thread.

(That sounds like a joke. It isn't. I love it when life is funnier than anything I can make up.)

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
I understand they have a special forum over there just for blowing butterfly kisses on babies' stomachs.
One doesn't blow a butterfly kiss.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Deliver?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Smooch.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Flutter.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Whisk.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Hey Pooka. I completely forgot that GC and sakeriver and those places even exist. Maybe they siphoned off some angry people.

People didn't go there because they are angry...
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

What are you saying?! Of course we go there because we're angry! We mock and hate every new member that happens to even look at those forums.

Be wary, the sake is bitter and the cactus is worse.

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, I forgot.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair to PSI, she didn't actually say that all of the people at Sakeriver and GC are there because they're angry. Nor did she say that if any angry people migrated there, they did so because they're angry.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, PSI, by the way. [Smile]
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Big Grin] I actually have accounts at those places, but I was without Internet for so long that I forgot about them. I know they WERE the chill places to go, but who knows how they may have changed? Maybe they have their own anger cycles.

How long has it been since anyone played mafia, by the way?

(Hey, saxon. [Smile] )

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.