FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eoin Colfer chosen to write sixth book in H2G2 trilogy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Eoin Colfer chosen to write sixth book in H2G2 trilogy
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, oh why?!

I don't know if it can be done. I don't know if it should be done.

No offense to Colfer because I haven't read his books, but even if he's a great author (which I don't suspect that he is because I work in a bookstore and never heard his name and the word "great" used in the same sentence before) I just can't imagine anyone truly capturing Adam's unique perspective and sense of humor.

I'd much rather Arthur stay dead than to see him resurrected as a shadow of himself.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Eoin Colfer is a very good author. I love his stuff -- and I think this is a terrible idea.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the difference between this and fanfic, other than the fact that the author will be getting paid for it?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
That is the only difference: the owners of the license have granted permission.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems fairly harmless to me. I mean, I'm skeptical that the author will be able to capture Adam's style sufficiently, and I suspect that it'll suck, but it's not like the original books will be damaged by this.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually enjoy Colfer's Artemis Fowl series, it's got some cleverness to it, but I'm not sure about this.

I guess we'll see...

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Why H2G2? HG2G, maybe.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeech. *shudder* I like Colfer, and I still think this is a mistake. Ten bucks says they approached Pratchett and Fforde first, but they both said no. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

"HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy." 2 Hs, 2 Gs.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
It seems mostly harmless to me. I mean, I'm skeptical that the author will be able to capture Adam's style sufficiently, and I suspect that it'll suck, but it's not like the original books will be damaged by this.

Fixed that for you [Wink]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he is a great author but this won't work [No No]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really think this will work either. Anyone who has ever read 'Scarlett', the authorised sequel to 'Gone With The Wind' will know how these things usually turn out.

I probably won't read it anyway. In the last few years Doctor Who has been fulfilling most of my H2G2 needs.

But I wonder why the estate have decided to do this - especially after the radio plays ended by giving the story a more upbeat ending than the books, which was supposedly what Adams had planned to do, once he had stopped feeling extremely depressed.
They could have just had someone write an epilogue to the last book where everyone lived happily ever after.

Do they need the money that badly?

It can't actually be worse than the movie. Can it? Can anything? *shudder*

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I refuse to accept any Hitchiker's novel not penned by Douglas Adams. I don't even accept Salmon of Doubt.

2) There wasn't a whole lot of room left for a sequel in the first place, considering how Mostly Harmless ended.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of #2, Douglas Adams had plans for another sequel. First, one of the audio things made after that book changed the ending, so that they all didn't die.

But more interestingly, Adams pointed out that "just because they're dead doesn't mean they don't get to have any more adventures" or something like that.

Basically? We might have either had them not dead afterall, or had them tramping through the afterlife.

Now... imagine Adams' humor, as applied to the afterlife instead of the universe. Mighta been good!

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that given the fact that Adams made it clear that there are infinite universes in his books that it's fine if more books are made.

As long as we realise that we are in a universe where the book will most likly suck.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that some of Adams's own sequels sucked. When I tried to read them again a couple years ago, I couldn't get further than the beginning of the third book.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all gonna eat your words when it comes out and is raved as a fine addition to the legendary series. "Adams would be proud", they'll say. And then you'll all say "Man, I can't believe how cynical we were back then".
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
As I just said at great length in my journal, I didn't believe Douglas could write another book in the series without ruining everything. I certainly don't think anybody else can.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
It seems fairly harmless to me. I mean, I'm skeptical that the author will be able to capture Adam's style sufficiently, and I suspect that it'll suck, but it's not like the original books will be damaged by this.

It is harmless, but it is also tasteless. It also affords this particular literary effort, no matter its merits, mention as "part of" Adams' original works, which is always going to be a shame. It's one thing for Tom Clancy to "write" a zillion video games or "R.L. Stine" to "write" a thousand serial novels for kids, but Adams only wrote 7 and a half books, and they were special.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
As I just said at great length in my journal, I didn't believe Douglas could write another book in the series without ruining everything. I certainly don't think anybody else can.

Though I agree with you, did your 12th grade English teacher not lecture you on referring to a writer you have not met by his first name? Maybe you met him, but if not, I believe it's polite to refer to him by his last name, or his full name. I believe most style guides agree.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that some of Adams's own sequels sucked. When I tried to read them again a couple years ago, I couldn't get further than the beginning of the third book.

The fourth and fifth were meandering and pointless, at least to me. The first three were brilliant. And Dirk Gently, and Teatime were also brilliant.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Though I agree with you, did your 12th grade English teacher not lecture you on referring to a writer you have not met by his first name? Maybe you met him, but if not, I believe it's polite.

If anybody would have said anything like that, it would have been my 9th grade English teacher, though I don't remember if the subject ever came up. [Smile]

Strictly speaking, that doesn't apply in the same way once people shuffle off their mortal coils (something my English teacher did point out as being played off in "Sir Patrick Spens")... but more to the point, there are different kinds of respect. Informal usages can either be used to show disrespect or closeness; after the dozens upon dozens of times I've read the HHGTTG books (especially the final one), I feel deeply affectionate toward the late Mr. Adams, even if I never met him in the flesh.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

I *really* didn't like Mostly Harmless...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I *really* didn't like Mostly Harmless...

I won't recapitulate the entire entry I linked to above, but I think the best novels were the first and fifth (in a dead heat; each is superior to the other in different respects), followed by the second, followed by the fourth, followed by the third.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

Strictly speaking, that doesn't apply in the same way once people shuffle off their mortal coils (something my English teacher did point out as being played off in "Sir Patrick Spens")... but more to the point, there are different kinds of respect. Informal usages can either be used to show disrespect or closeness; after the dozens upon dozens of times I've read the HHGTTG books (especially the final one), I feel deeply affectionate toward the late Mr. Adams, even if I never met him in the flesh.

That is in the nature of the objection. You feel close to him, but using his first name implies that he is close to you, or familiar with you, enough to accept your informality. Particularly once someone has died, his friends do refer to him by his first name, to indicate their relationship with him. We, as people who have not met him, make this clear by not using his first name in the same way. The politeness aspect works to signify your actual relationship, not just how you feel about him, or the fact that he passed away.

Also my 12th grade English teacher was also my 9th grade English teacher, but whenever he shared this advice with me, it stuck. You are, in talking about his books, referring to his literary personality, in some degree. In this case, Mr. Adams is as inappropriate as Douglas. His name in literary circles, when he was referred to as a writer and when discusses as a writer, he was Adams. The "Mr." appellation is reminiscent of newspaper articles or biographical pieces that deal with his social or public life outside of writing. That is not what you are doing. Though there is no definite standard on usage, you'll simply find that the majority of the time, when writing about an author or an artist in regard to his work, his last name is usually sufficient. I had a newspaper article written about me recently, and it referred to me by my last name, because it was in the context of my work as a composer. The editor of the paper, for obvious reasons, would want to maintain a style in which names are used appropriately depending on the piece.

As an example of your logic: I have read 1984 about 15 times in my life, and have read most of the works of George Orwell. Does it sound appropriate to call him George? His been dead much longer than Adams, and yet he is universally referred to as Orwell, or George Orwell. Not Mr. Orwell, but Orwell. You'll find that to be true in any anthology, any forward to any of his books, and virtually anything written about him in the literary sphere that was not penned by a close relation. If for nothing else, the use of the last name is clearer, as there are many authors with the same first names, and not as many with the same last names. And, if for nothing else, it makes your position clear- you were not his friend, or a family member, but a reader.

This is all about being clear. And here, having used his first name to refer to him for your own reasons, you were not clear. You left open the possibility that you did know him, and simply explaining that you feel close to him is fine- whereas ignoring etiquette in order to make that point is simply unclear. So, though you may believe you have a clever or appropriate reason for putting it as you did, it clearly was not effective in at least one case.

[ September 18, 2008, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom and rivka.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly Harmless is a book that benefits from a little emotional distance. If you like Arthur and Ford, as I do, and were happy to see Arthur happy in So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish, then Mostly Harmless -- despite a few clever bits, and an eloquently resolved series of interlocking plotlines -- often feels like a mean-spirited slog. I mean, why is Trillian a sad-sack harpy? Why is Ford so unable to get a handle on things? It's only when you understand what was going on in Adams' personal life that the nasty undercurrent makes sense. Heck, he noted in retrospect that he'd used that book to vent a bit and had come to feel that it was unfair to readers.

For my part, the best book in the series is Life, the Universe, and Everything; his best individual novel, IMO, is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

[ September 18, 2008, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Though I agree with you, did your 12th grade English teacher not lecture you on referring to a writer you have not met by his first name? Maybe you met him, but if not, I believe it's polite.

If anybody would have said anything like that, it would have been my 9th grade English teacher, though I don't remember if the subject ever came up. [Smile]

It's more common now to feel a personal connection with writers as many of them converse with readers on a more personal basis through blogs and their attitudes in essays and interviews. I think of Neil Gaiman as "Neil" even though I've seen him in person exactly once, during a book signing, and exchanged e-mails twice. But his site stresses "Neil," he tells everyone he meets to call him "Neil," and its plainly his preference. Were I to write an article or essay about him I'd go with "Gaiman," but in these informal settings, informal usage don't bug me. Heck, many Pratchett fans refer to him as "PTerry"...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Mostly Harmless is a book that benefits from a little emotional distance. If you like Arthur and Ford, as I do, and were happy to see Arthur happy in So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish, then Mostly Harmless -- despite a few clever bits, and an eloquented resolved series of interlocking plotlines -- often feels like a mean-spirited slog.

There's no arguing with personal preference, and I certainly respect yours.

For my part, I like Arthur, but I wasn't happy to see him happy in Book Four. It never rang true for me. (Plus I felt flying was the prime example of the series having jumped the shark in the third book; I was happy that DNA jettisoned that bit in the final installment.) This is a series that begins with the Earth being destroyed to make way for an interstellar highway bypass. This is not a happy premise. It is not supposed to end with sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows. Arthur and friends are adrift in a universe no longer their own, and it's a mercy when it all ends at last.

(Though I am glad he was granted a short stint as Sandwich Maker first. That bit rang true.)

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
As an example of your logic: I have read 1984 about 15 times in my life, and have read most of the works of George Orwell. Does it sound appropriate to call him George?

No, I'm way beyond pseudonyms with my man Eric.

I had a much longer and snarkier post written, but I think Chris said it better, so I'll leave it that.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I agree with Tom and rivka.

Darn it Scott, are you courting the apocalypse?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, rivka, those Horsemen start to look mighty attractive after a time...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

For my part, the best book in the series is Life, the Universe, and Everything; his best individual novel, IMO, is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

Agreed. Why do people constantly harp on the H2G2 books, while ignoring the absolute gem that is DGHDA? It's Adams' best book, I think not only because it is so complexly (and implausibly) plotted, but because beneath all that, it has a depth of characters that is quite unlike anything in H2G2, where everyone was a cartoon character- and you never really could be sure of what was or was not possible. With Dirk Gently, there is that element of human nature that keeps things grounded- Dirk is lazy and greedy, above all, but he is also naturally curious. That's just an interesting combination.
Shanna
Member # 7900

I love the "Dirk Gently" books as well. I think they're better than some of the Hitchhiker sequels, but not as a funny as the original.

One of my favorite books by DNA is "Last Chance to See." His adventures with the komodo dragons and his reflections on the kakapo (the world's largest non-flying parrot) are at the same time hysterical and sobering.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so everybody knows: Mostly Harmless was only written the way it was because Douglas Adams' life was crap at the time. Later, he said he'd .. you know, fix all that stuff.

Especially the part about earth being dead in all dimensions everywhere forever always along with everyone but Zaphod in all their incarnations forever always.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Just so everybody knows: Mostly Harmless was only written the way it was because Douglas Adams' life was crap at the time. Later, he said he'd .. you know, fix all that stuff.

Pbbbt. The book is what it is. It's possible that the author's having been in a foul mood when he wrote it had no bearing on the final product (no matter what that author claimed), or it's possible that it achieved greatness[1] as a direct result of the author's troubles (one so inclined might take this as being consistent with a long-standing correlation between art and pain). Either way, that has no bearing whatsoever on the book's integrity, validity, or meaning.

And, yes, it's well known that Adams had made noises about revisiting the series someday, eventually, once he got around to it and/or was held hostage by a rampaging group of editors and fans. That doesn't mean he would have been right to do so. [Smile] Look at Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. Look at Tom Sawyer, Detective.[2] Look at the revised version of Knight Life and its sequels. Look at everything Frank Miller's done related to Batman since The Dark Knight Returns. Some authors have trouble knowing when to let go.[3]

[1] in my opinion. You may feel free to substitute "sucked" if you prefer.
[2] Didn't know this existed? There's good reason for that. But you don't have to take my word for it...
[3] I totally just set myself up, didn't I.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

What would you say the meaning of Mostly Harmless was, besides "I hold you, the reader, and the society that spawned you, in utter contempt?"
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
What would you say the meaning of Mostly Harmless was, besides "I hold you, the reader, and the society that spawned you, in utter contempt?"

[Roll Eyes] I don't see how you get that from it at all.

(Seriously, how on Earth do you get that from it? Is that what you take away from all tragedies?)

...and I think I answered that question in an earlier post, not to mention the journal entry, though I can overexplain even more if I have to.

(But okay, here goes, one-line summary of the entire trilogy: you can't really get over having your homeworld destroyed. Seems reasonable to me.)

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Is that what you take away from all tragedies?
No. But the end of Mostly Harmless basically amounted to Adams jumping up and down on his own toys, picking up the pieces, and going home. And, for that matter, I would say that most people wouldn't consider H2G2 a work of tragedy.

quote:
you can't really get over having your homeworld destroyed
Hm. See, I think the destruction of Earth was largely a narrative excuse to toss Arthur out into the universe without having the ability to retreat to safety. I don't see the bypass thing working as a larger metaphor for the loss of innocence.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Hm. See, I think the destruction of Earth was largely a narrative excuse to toss Arthur out into the universe without having the ability to retreat to safety. I don't see the bypass thing working as a larger metaphor for the loss of innocence.

I don't see the destruction of the world as a narrative excuse, or a metaphor for anything. I see it as the destruction of the world.

Ford's never had a homeworld to call his own, thanks to the Great Collapsing Hrung disaster. Arthur's lost his. Both spend a few books wandering aimlessly, pretty solidly making the point that this isn't any sort of tenable existence.

So you have a choice. You can go the route suggested in Book Four and undermine the whole initial premise of the series. You can see the Earth as being rather less than unique, with its destruction being reversible, and with any activities thereon being not very consequential because, hey, jillions of parallel universes anyway, and you can chalk the whole series up to a bunch of random laughs... or you can respect the premise and make it (and the books) count. The world ends. Really, truly, irrevocably, with all loose ends tied up.

I like the latter a lot more.

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a bad idea. The series became boring and repetative after the first three when Adams wrote the books.

"can chalk the whole series up to a bunch of random laughs . . ."

Thats what I do. Without the laughs the story makes no sense. To take any part of it seriously, I think, destroys the premise that the Universe doesn't care and we pretend that it does. Having one universe or jillions of parallel universes doesn't matter because existance is a comedy of errors.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
[2] Didn't know this existed? There's good reason for that. But you don't have to take my word for it...

LeVar? Is that you?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
you can chalk the whole series up to a bunch of random laughs
Um....That's what it was. It's what it was intended to be from the start. There's a reason that reviewers generally call Pratchett a satirist and Adams a humorist -- and it's that Adams' work was generally a bunch of random laughs.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though I agree with you, did your 12th grade English teacher not lecture you on referring to a writer you have not met by his first name?
If English teachers are spending class time lecturing about things like that, I can't say I'd blame students for not seeing the value in English class...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
LeVar? Is that you?

[awards rivka five points]
quote:
quote:
you can chalk the whole series up to a bunch of random laughs
Um....That's what it was.
So you didn't like the fifth book because it failed to live down to your expectations? Whatever.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

So, in your opinion, a book full of tragedy is more fulfilling than a book full of random laughs?

Why is that?

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
So, in your opinion, a book full of tragedy is more fulfilling than a book full of random laughs?

Why is that?

Why is a meaningful book more fulfilling than a meaningless one?

If you have to ask that, then I can't explain it.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
to me the only reason why I would read the HHGTTG (omfg there's 2 of each letter! Coincidence? I think not) is the very fact that the Earth WAS brought back, I absolutely sternly refuse Scifi like Andromeda where Earth is some backwater of no importance or destroyed.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
That's not what I asked. Why do you think a series that's ultimately about the tragic loss of one's home is more meaningful than a series that's ultimately about a bunch of clever punchlines?

I'm willing to go a very long way for a joke. That's not because I think jokes are worthless.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
quote:
That's not what I asked. Why do you think a series that's ultimately about the tragic loss of one's home is more meaningful than a series that's ultimately about a bunch of clever punchlines?
Unless the clever punchlines are themselves about something, the answer seems self-evident.

(Incidentally, Occasional's reading -- which is way darker than mine, but no less valid, of course -- either passes that test with flying colors or renders it irrelevant: in that reading, the randomness itself is making a larger point, one which becomes belabored the longer the series drags on. Your claim, on the other hand, appears to be that the jokes are merely clever for the sake of cleverness, and not really making any sort of point at all. That can have value, sure, but it's of a much lower order. Why? If you have to ask...)
quote:
I'm willing to go a very long way for a joke. That's not because I think jokes are worthless.
I'd be the last person to say jokes are worthless.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.