FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First NaNoWriMo letter of 2008!

Author Topic: First NaNoWriMo letter of 2008!
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I open my inbox, and lo and behold, an e-mail from Chris Baty!

NaNoWriMo jitters starting.

I'm writing an outline.

I've got research books piled up on my desk--Aleister Crowley and Eliphas Levi and Alan Moore on one side; Penn Jillette and Harry Houdini and P.T. Barnum on the other.

In related news, here's the 2008 NaNoWriMo shirt . . .
Why must they always pick such an awful color?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh joy. You know, I've tried every year for the past three or four years. The best I did was 16,000 one year. I'll probably try again, but I'll have to start late. (After the election.)

I'm trying to figure out what my story attempt will be this time around. Hm...

But on the T-shirts, my guess with the awful color is they could get those ones for cheaper, 'cause nobody wanted those.

Reminds me of the Sound of Music.

"When we entered the abbey our worldly clothes were given to the poor."
"What about this one?"
"The poor didn't want this one."

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to finish an outline as well. That will be an improvement over last year.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We believe in ambitious acts of the imagination.

But what exactly do they do? Or what exactly is going on might be a better question.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Do? They don't DO anything.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

That's the beauty of it . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. Basically, it's a massive project where you try to write a short novel (50,000 words or more) over the course of one very caffeinated month (November!).

You should try it. It's a lot of fun.

[url] nanowrimo.org [/url]

Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's the beauty of it . . .
First off i stopped thinkin gabout that and i am now upset, again....
quote:
You should try it. It's a lot of fun
And...... I don't think that's in my best intrests, I'm shooting for a school year that doesn't involvle taking on a big project and doing none of my work. (Last year i made a waterborne mini-catapult..... instead of studying for finals.)
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try this for the first time this year. The site is already broken, however.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else this year?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep saying as soon as I have my thesis done. But alas, I am no closer to that goal this year as I was last.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may emerge from serious lurker status in search of moral support for NaNo. In 2006, I made it to 35,000 words....we'll see if I fare better this time 'round.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

So I just got an e-mail advising me I'll be an ML (Municipal Liaison, or just Team Mom) for Athens, GA this year. I'm kinda excited and kinda freaked.

Anyone here know anything particular or cool their MLs did that I might try? Already planning a lot of coffeeshop write-ins, kick-off parties, and Oh God It's Over With parties.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try again. I have yet to succeed. But I will try.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Joldo, check in the ML forum on the NaNo site. People talk about what works, what doesn't, that sort of thing. Lots of info there. [Smile] I'm the ML for both Sri Lanka and Asia: Elsewhere.

I'm in, but I still don't know what I'm writing.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I added going to school full time to my working full time and would have to be completely bat-(guano) crazy to even consider this.

And yet, it's tempting ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in - last year I only got to about 20K so hopefully this time will work out better.

I've got a story I've been meaning to work on for a few months, so I'm planning it out now.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I've been working on trying to plan my story, but I've never done anything like this before, and I'm anxious to just jump right in. I know that's not the best way for me to go about it, though. I need to flesh out my plot a little more in the time I have left before starting, I think.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

*deep breath*
Joldo
Member # 6991

*long meditative sigh*
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
*hyperventilates*

Two minutes to go until midnight here.
I'm so excited! I think my first word will be 'The'.

I'm not sure what the other 49,999 words will be, though.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

How are people's stories coming? I've got about 1800 words, which has me behind my schedule already. I made up different word goals for each day based on when I have tests and club meetings and such. Hopefully I'll be back on track by the end of the day today.

Has anyone started a thread on the forums for us yet?

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm falling behind as well, I'm at around 1200, but I am going to cram tonight. I came up with the plot October 31st. Filled with twists, and fun ideas galore. Well, I don't know if they're really all that fun but they exist, which will help guide me through to the end. =P

I don't know if there's a Hatrack thread yet or not.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been fomenting my idea for a long time, probably the past year, but had nothing solid until tonight.

After working for two hours, I have a loose plot outline and 107 words. I'm behind, but excited.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the deadline?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

The end of the month.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep telling myself I'm sitting this one out. I'm behind in homework and really need to get caught up. (Full-time employment and full-time college are a fun combination)

Anyway, here's a related bit of humor.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I am a little less than 2 days behind. But I have a rough outline to work with, so it's easier than last year to keep a coherent story going.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I'm pretty far behind. I need to write a little over 9000 more words this weekend if I want to be caught up. It's doable, but I also have a lot of homework and studying to do....

*finally drags physics book out of bookbag*

Joldo
Member # 6991

I need two thousand words before I go to bed tonight to catch up.

I'm suddenly really liking my characters. They're interesting. They've got dimensions. They're really pretty nifty. I'm surprised, 'cause characters were always my problem.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Nanowrimo is in my experience this thing that when November is coming around, all of my friends suddenly start talking excitedly about all the time until you are very tired of it then halfway through the month they stop talking about it and if you bring the subject up they get all sad

... in my experience it is a very strange newfound tradition.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.