FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sorry about all the threads, but one more question.

Author Topic: Sorry about all the threads, but one more question.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this awesome print to put in my new office. I really want to get this one as well...I think they'd go well together in the room. But my boyfriend thinks that a lot of the teachers and my boss (who are very devout Christians) would find it offensive or think I was mocking them. I mean, I'm Christian...but it's still a neat print, and heck, it's aliens going to church!

Please advise.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Christian, and I think that print is hilarious. [Smile]

Especially because the "aliens" are shaped exactly like us - except with antennae. LOL

(fine print disclaimer: I cannot speak for all devout Christians. Your boss or co-workers may have a very different reaction to this print than I did. (past performance does not guarantee future results). All personalities have different levels of tolerances, and different viewpoints on humor) [Wink]

[ September 25, 2008, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Farmgirl pointed out, they look just like us. Maybe they ARE us, with funny antennae on their helmets. Nothing sacrilegious about spacefaring humans going to church, is there?

My honest first reaction was that this was a reverent painting. I see the other possibility, of course, but I'm not sure how it's meant. (Maybe if I knew something about the artist.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I just worry a lot about offending them. At the same time, I don't want to keep so much Christian art in the office because when kids come into my office and I have to play "bad cop," I don't want JESUS STARING THEM DOWN FROM THE WALL BEHIND MY DESK.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
People can take offense to anything. Buy it, and if you get a complaint you can hang it in your apartment.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think since you are putting both prints up, it takes away from any negative impact of the second one. They can see you are just a big fan of this particular artist's work.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything offensive in this. It's cute, it's funny, it's even a little sweet.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you don't have people like that at your church?
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Put it up, and see. If someone does have a problem with it, then deal with it as you feel you should at that time.

Don't borrow trouble you might not get otherwise. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I like to think that if Jesus saw aliens coming to church, he'd be happy. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I'm with Kwea on borrowing trouble. "Sufficient unto the day is the trouble thereof." I am pretty sure that's in the Bible. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty devout, but I'm also pretty irreverent, and I give the poster my stamp of approval.

I'm not a Christian, though. However, if they had the aliens wearing tallisim, tefillin, streimels, and other Jew-paraphernalia, I'd thing it to be the essence of awesomeness.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, especially if the streimels had holes for the antennae . . . [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I would love to have prints like that. Very very cool!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Christian (from the Bible belt, no less) and I love it.

So far, you've gotten nothing but approval. However, Hatrack is a pretty self-selecting group and it's quite possible you'll find more people here who like sci-fi artwork.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Welll, just to play the Devil's advocate(or would that be the Over-Self-Righteous Christian Advocate--or is there a difference?) the man-alien does appear to be going to church naked. I think there is a skirt on the mother. (and she and the child seem to be missing a leg.)
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that print.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I'm Christian (from the Bible belt, no less) and I love it.

So far, you've gotten nothing but approval. However, Hatrack is a pretty self-selecting group and it's quite possible you'll find more people here who like sci-fi artwork.

Yeah, I kind of figured that Hatrack was a very select group to ask...but I figured it was worth asking anyway. [Smile] I just think it goes so well with the first print!

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I like it. I like to think that if Jesus saw aliens coming to church, he'd be happy. [Smile]

I think so, too. [Razz]

-pH

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find it offensive...but wouldn't put it up in my office. I generally think it is best to avoid religion and politics in the workplace.

Though, I'm a member of management...and have many teenagers working for me (the fun of retail)...so I don't want to give the impression that I am trying to influence their political or religious views...so my situation may be different from yours.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
I don't find it offensive...but wouldn't put it up in my office. I generally think it is best to avoid religion and politics in the workplace.

Though, I'm a member of management...and have many teenagers working for me (the fun of retail)...so I don't want to give the impression that I am trying to influence their political or religious views...so my situation may be different from yours.

I was management. Thing is, everyone there was really, really, REALLY Christian and had a whole bunch of religious stuff everywhere.

-pH

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.