FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer upgrade compatibility.

Author Topic: Computer upgrade compatibility.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking classes in school that deal heavily in computer hardware, and i was wondering if anyone knew a program or website where i could check the compatability of upgrades with the other parts in my computer.

Such as a program where i could put in all the specs and parts of my computer, then see if certain parts are compatible with my computer. And see if i might need a new power supply if i try to upgrade my video card and other situations like that.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
There probably are sites that do things like that, but I think it's a better idea for you to learn to identify the standards that apply and use those to determine whether parts are compatible.

It's pretty simple to determine whether a processor and a motherboard work together, for example.

Some computer building tutorials, such as this one, have information on how you determine parts are compatible.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

Well in upcoming months we do learn how to better know what is compatable with what, and how to test that kind of thing. But for home use i wanted to be able to make sure i don't screw up my computer trying to make it perform better(My main goal is to play spore:}).

That said i have tried using the Google machine and have had no sucess.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could just ask us. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

Well as long as it's offered [Smile]

First is there a cmd line, or control panel option to get full specs of my computer? I can get this,
Intel pentium processor 4 CPU 2.66 Ghz.
(personally upgraded to) 768 Ram

I know thats not enough information, but i'm not sure how to get my other specs right yet.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's Hardware is a good site you should familiarize yourself with if you are going to be working with hardware. Great articles and tools for anything hardware related.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Is this a name-brand computer? If you know the manufacturer and model number then the specs are probably available online.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
CPU-Z is a free program that gives you lots of information about your board and processor.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

Yes thats the obvious solution, haha, I am not thinking the straightest today since i'm on medication.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-2400-pentium/1807-3118_7-30824846.html?tag=main-full;main-full-l
Thats it the link and the main specs are.
quote:
Processor
Type Intel Pentium 4 2.66 GHz Installed Qty 1 Max processors supported 1 Cache Memory
Type L2 cache Installed Size 512 KB Cache Per Processor 512 KB Mainboard
Chipset type Intel 845GV Data bus speed 533 MHz
Graphics Controller
Type Integrated Video Memory Shared video memory (UMA)
RAM
Installed Size 512 MB / 1 GB(max) Technology DDR SDRAM Memory speed 333 MHz Memory specification compliance PC2700 RAM form factor DIMM 184-pin
Power
Power device type Power supply Voltage Required AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz) Power provided 250 Watt
Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion Bays Total (Free) 2 ( 0 ) x Front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H, 1 ( 1 ) x Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H, 1 ( 0 ) x Internal - 3.5" x 1/3H Expansion Slots Total (Free) 2 ( 1 ) x Memory - DIMM 184-pin, 1 ( 0 ) x Processor - Socket 478, 3 ( 3 ) x PCI Interfaces 6 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A, 1 x Headphones - Output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm, 1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm, 1 x Audio - Line-in - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm, 1 x Audio - Line-out - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm, 1 x Serial - RS-232C - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9), 1 x Parallel - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25), 1 x Keyboard - Generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style), 1 x Mouse - Generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style), 1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45

Sorry if that is over-kill but i wanted to know what type of video cards would be compatible, and if i would have to change my power supply. This is the one i have been eyeing.
POWERCOLOR AX3650 1GBD2 Radeon HD 3650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131093

Xann.
Member # 11482

i'm already in love with the Cpu-Z thing.
scifibum
Member # 7625

You can't add that video card to that motherboard. In fact, you'd only be able to add PCI (not PCI express or AGP) video cards, which probably wouldn't get you the performance you want - although it's possible that you could improve your graphics performance to some extent.
Xann.
Member # 11482

So i would be better off getting a new mother board before i start trying to upgrade?
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'm not really sure - it depends on how much you want to spend on this rig vs. starting fresh. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it might require a significant overhaul. If you want that video card, you need a motherboard with PCI-Express x16 slot. I kind of doubt you can find a micro-ATX motherboard with this slot that supports your existing CPU. So you might need a new CPU too. At that point I might wonder if it makes sense to try to upgrade rather than replace.
Xann.
Member # 11482

Well I am supposed to make a computer eventually in the class i mentioned earlier so starting fresh is probably best. For now i'll upgrade my ram a bit and wait untill i have some more cash. I'll probably back asking more near chrismas, i'm going to get some fancy stocking stuffers this year!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.