FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading List

Author Topic: Reading List
Kaysha
Member # 11771

- posted      Profile for Kaysha           Edit/Delete Post 
I looked for this topic elsewhere on the forum, but was unable to find it, sorry if it is a duplicate.

Anyway, OSC is my favorite author, but I'm running out of things by him to read. I was looking for suggestions from people who also like his style of other books/authors that I would probably like. Thanks!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Which are your favorite OSC books?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysha
Member # 11771

Sorry, not sure why it went to two posts.

Anyway, I've loved most of the ones that I've read. All of the Ender and Bean books, the Homecoming series, and the Alvin books. I just finished Empire, which was also hard to put down. I've read a bunch of random ones that I liked too, but I do like that you can really get to know characters in a series.

I guess the only one I haven't really is Folk of the Fringe. It wasn't bad by any means, just not as good as some of the others.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, what would you say that it is about Card's writing that most appeals to you?

I'll copy my post from the other thread into this one, and you can delete the duplicate if you'd like. You can do that by clicking on the "Edit post" icon at the top of the post that begins the thread (this is the icon that looks like a piece of paper with a pencil over it). At the top of the resulting page you'll see a checkbox that says "Delete Post? (Check box if yes)". Check that box, click the "Edit Post" button at the bottom of the page, and the thread will disappear. Bear in mind that while in this circumstance there's nothing wrong with deleting the thread, people often get upset when their words or a conversation in which they were invested is deleted; it's not something to be done lightly (at least when the other people posting in the thread haven't said that they don't have a problem with it).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Reposted from the other thread:

quote:
Welcome to Hatrack, Kaysha. We've had a number of threads like this over the years, but a new one certainly won't hurt anything.

Have you read any Octavia Butler? Her stuff is fantastically good, and in some ways her writing style is similar to vintage Card's. I'd recommend starting with her Wild Seed, or mayber her Xenogenesis trilogy. That trilogy is often sold with all three books bound into a single volume, but they're also available individually as Dawn, Imago, and Adulthood Rites.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysha
Member # 11771

Thank you for the suggestion and the technical help! Everyone on here is so friendly, it seems like a big family or group of friends where everyone knows everyone.

Anyway, I like that his books are smart, it's not some dull plot where you're waiting for something to happen. I don't enjoy pure romances or character studies. I want to keep reading his books to find out what happens next. However, he doesn't sacrifice his characters for "excitement." His writing style also doesn't get in the way of the story (I hate it when you find a good story but can't get through it because the writing isn't good). I don't know, it's hard to describe, it isn't like you can have a recipe for good writing, which is why finding good things to read is hard.

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] It's a good place. That isn't to say that we don't have our share of disagreements, or that we're always as likely to give each other the benefit of the doubt as we could be, but still.

[Edit]On that note, tell us a bit about yourself (if you're interested in doing so, of course; if you'd prefer to remain more anonymous, that's okay, of course)[/edit]

I think I know what you mean about Card's writing. I was recently reading something (by another author) that I really wanted to like. The concept was interesting, and I was sympathetic to the argument that the author was advancing, but reading the thing was like trying to pull a sledge along a rough, gravel road. I could do it, but the story never gained any momentum; if I stopped putting effort into it, the story just ground to a halt. With some authors (including, for me, most of Card's pre-1996-or-so stuff), there is a gliding feeling, like the story is being drawn along an almost frictionless path. Does that make sense?

Anyway, Butler is an author that feels that way to me. Robin Hobb is another, although I wouldn't put her in quite the same class as Card and Butler.

[Edit]George R. R. Martin is another that I absolutely love, but be forewarned if you read him that he isn't kind to his characters. He loves them, that's clear, but he is willing to let awful things happen to them if that's the way the story turns.[/Edit]

Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

I recommend Pastwatch and Enchantment, both are two of my favorites by OSC.

As far as other books go, I like Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robins. Not, strictly speaking, similar to OSC's style, but I really loved it. Also, if you're not already familiar with Ray Bradbury, I highly suggest you pick up some of his work.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I guess that a good question would be this--what other authors are you already fond of? Who are some that really rubbed you the wrong way?
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
I like Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robins.

I loved Tom Robins when I first read him back in the early 90s. Jitterbug Perfume was probably my favorite of his books, followed by Skinny Legs and All was a close second. These days, though, I find his style sort of...twee. I still appreciate him, but I don't see him as the luminary that I used to.

In terms of mainstream fiction authors whose work really does it for me, I'd say that Louise Erdrich is pretty close to the top of the list. Tracks remains my favorite of her novels.

Michael Chabon is brilliant, I think, and I find that his fiction flows in much the same way that I described Card's and Butler's above. I can't recommend The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay highly enough.

Dipping back into the genre, Neil Gaiman is another that I love, and whose work usually seems to move effortlessly. My favorite of his novels is easily American Gods, although I know that there are others here who didn't particularly care for it.

quote:
Also, if you're not already familiar with Ray Bradbury, I highly suggest you pick up some of his work.
Seconded.
Kaysha
Member # 11771

Thank you so much, I'm excited for the quick response! I'm been trying to find new things to read for a while.

Well, I'm really not that exciting. I'm 23, live in Iowa, and graduated with a BS in psych. I work for a small lubricants company doing a bit of everything and I coach high school speech and debate. I'm a bookworm, my husband likes to call me a dork (but in a nice way), but I'm also a PICKY reader. I look forward to getting to know you.

I totally understand what you mean by being able to glide through a book! It makes such a difference. I can't wait to try Butler.

Epictetus, I have read Enchantment already and I love Ray Bradbury! Fahrenheit 451 is one of my all time favorite books. It's promising, I guess, that you suggested something else I like, I'll have to try the Robins.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thank you for the suggestion and the technical help! Everyone on here is so friendly, it seems like a big family or group of friends where everyone knows everyone."

If thats true...

wait yer a chick...

I'm an idiot.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysha
Member # 11771

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I guess that a good question would be this--what other authors are you already fond of? Who are some that really rubbed you the wrong way?

Well I kind of jump around. I love Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged is my all time favorite, even if it is massive. Anthem and The Fountainhead were good too. I also like Dan Brown's stuff and I really enjoyed Stephanie Meyer, even though I'm not really into vampires. I liked King's Dark Tower series, but he does tend to get a bit wordy. I loved the Dark Matter Trilogy by Phillip Pullman, but not his other stuff. And, I have to admit, I loved the Harry Potter books.

I've learned I don't much care for Camus or Hemmingway. Nor do I like Alice Hoffman or Emily Bronte.

Kaysha
Member # 11771

quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
"Thank you for the suggestion and the technical help! Everyone on here is so friendly, it seems like a big family or group of friends where everyone knows everyone."

If thats true...

wait yer a chick...

I'm an idiot.

Ok, now I feel dumb, what the hell are you getting at?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Reposted from the other thread:

quote:
Welcome to Hatrack, Kaysha. We've had a number of threads like this over the years, but a new one certainly won't hurt anything.

Have you read any Octavia Butler? Her stuff is fantastically good, and in some ways her writing style is similar to vintage Card's. I'd recommend starting with her Wild Seed, or mayber her Xenogenesis trilogy. That trilogy is often sold with all three books bound into a single volume, but they're also available individually as Dawn, Imago, and Adulthood Rites.

I read these... I had a full bound copy (It's called "Lillith's Brood" when in one copy), and there was a printing error in it... toward the end, there were 30 pages that were printed twice, and 30 other pages missing. I was on vacation in Italy and couldn't finish the book. I was extremely put out.

But bias aside, I wasn't crazy about these, to be honest... they weren't bad, but Card is much better.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Xenogenesis/Lilith's Brood is absolutely fantastic, but is very different from OSC's stuff.

--

I will also second the Vorkosigan series by Bujold. That series cannot be seconded enough.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaysha:
quote:

If thats true...

wait yer a chick...

I'm an idiot.

Just ignore him, Kaysha. [Smile]

When he's ready to respond intelligently he's perfectly capable of it.

Are you mostly into spec. fic.? Or do you like other genres as well?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad a thread like this popped up, as I was considering going hunting for one myself. With the summer over, and being back in school, I've been spending all my time for the last month and change reading endless streams of history books, which I love to death and find utterly fascinating. But part of me is craving some fiction, and for that matter, new fiction. I tend to reread a lot of stuff I have over and over, only rarely do I buy new sci-fi or fantasy. The last time I tried I bought Pullman's His Dark Materials, and The Dark is Rising, by...whoever wrote that one, I can't remember. His Dark Materials was interesting, I liked it, though I don't think I'll reread it very often. I couldn't get through The Dark is Rising series. I read the entire first book, and then tried to power through the second one but kept getting distracted. I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually.

I've never read any Octavia Butler or George Martin, though I hear their names thrown around a lot as excellent authors (there's another name I can't think of, a female author, but her name is mentioned a lot too). I have Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere sitting on my desk unread as well, which I bought after reading Stardust, which was excellent. After I finish this current round of non-fiction, I want to throw myself into something. Something big. Dry and detailed doesn't necessarily bother me. I'm a Tolkien freak who rereads the Silmarillion more than anything, and I even like Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels, but I don't particularly care for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

I think I want to read a series, and I want to get lost in a new world.

PS. Welcome to Hatrack Kaysha, I promise I'm not hijacking your thread, I'm just borrowing part of it [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn - Have you ever tried Neal Stephenson? You strike me as the type of guy who might enjoy The Baroque Cycle. Not exactly the Silmarillion, but it may be a good mix of your tastes.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well I kind of jump around. I love Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged is my all time favorite, even if it is massive. Anthem and The Fountainhead were good too. I also like Dan Brown's stuff and I really enjoyed Stephanie Meyer, even though I'm not really into vampires. I liked King's Dark Tower series, but he does tend to get a bit wordy. I loved the Dark Matter Trilogy by Phillip Pullman, but not his other stuff. And, I have to admit, I loved the Harry Potter books.

I've learned I don't much care for Camus or Hemmingway. Nor do I like Alice Hoffman or Emily Bronte. [/QB]

I feel like iwant to agree with you, but then i hated you, then i hated you more, then you redeemed yourself, then not, yes, no ,yes, no.......... This is like Keeanu Reeves all over agian.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysha
Member # 11771

quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
quote:

I've learned I don't much care for Camus or Hemmingway. Nor do I like Alice Hoffman or Emily Bronte.

I feel like iwant to agree with you, but then i hated you, then i hated you more, then you redeemed yourself, then not, yes, no ,yes, no.......... This is like Keeanu Reeves all over agian. [/QB]
I'm sorry to cause you so much inner conflict! I did say that I jump around.

I am excited about all the suggestions, I hardly know where to start... I'll just have to see what Border's has in stock. I can't wait to dive in.

I don't have any hard and fast rules against genres, I just know I tend to dislike nonfiction and romance. Other than that, I'm game for trying anything I can get lost in.

Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
quote:

I feel like iwant to agree with you, but then i hated you, then i hated you more, then you redeemed yourself, then not, yes, no ,yes, no.......... This is like Keeanu Reeves all over agian.

I'm sorry to cause you so much inner conflict! I did say that I jump around.

I am excited about all the suggestions, I hardly know where to start... I'll just have to see what Border's has in stock. I can't wait to dive in.

I don't have any hard and fast rules against genres, I just know I tend to dislike nonfiction and romance. Other than that, I'm game for trying anything I can get lost in. [/QB]

I'm sorry, just the shock of some of the most horrible, and the best things in one post was a bit much. It made me invoke my power animal. Have you read Golden Apples of the Sun by Bradbury? It's one of my favorite collections of short stories.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysha
Member # 11771

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
PS. Welcome to Hatrack Kaysha, I promise I'm not hijacking your thread, I'm just borrowing part of it [Smile]

No problem! It isn't just mine, it'd be nice if other people could benefit too.
Member # 11614

quote:
quote:

If thats true...

wait yer a chick...

I'm an idiot.

I'm sorry, now I just feel like a horrible judge of gender, I wasn't getting at anything. I'm sorry if my post offended you.

This has happened so many times before, when I feel I can tell what gender another poster is, then I'm wrong. (like lyhrawn, and rivka)

Have you read the Eragon books by Paolini? I haven't read Brisingr yet but the other books are great.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysha
Member # 11771

Xann
So what did you strongly disagree with and with what did you strongly agree. I'm curious.

I don't think I've read Golden Apples of the Sun, but I have read some of his short story collections. The problem with short stories is that once you start getting into it, it ends, so I tend to forget I have those books.

T:Man
You didn't offend me at all, I was just confused, thinking there was some inuendo I wasn't getting.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of my favorite authors are Lindsay Davis and Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. I also enjoy the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus mysteries by Faye Kellerman. After reading what you do and don't like, we have so much in common and so many differences I really have no clue if they'll appeal to you!

I do suggest you check out Goodreads. Many of us are on there and you could get star ratings of what we do and don't like!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you read the Eragon books by Paolini? I haven't read Brisingr yet but the other books are great.
I hadn't realized it was out. I'm curious to see how it ends (though I still won't, since he's apparently writing a fourth one now). I have my guesses as to how it ends, mostly based on how Return of the Jedi ended. But I won't pay hardcover prices for it. I'm either going to wait for the library to get it, or for it to hit paperback.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Goodreads is a great idea! Along with book ratings, you also get people's reviews of some books. Those are the most useful for me. I can tell so much about whether I'll like a book by reading reviews by my friends whose tastes I know.

Welcome to Hatrack! Did I say that yet?

I definitely agree with Octavia Butler and with Lois McMaster Bujold. Both those are great! Another more mainstream writer I love lately is Mark Salzman. Try "The Laughing Sutra" by him. It's funny and sweet and deep and fun. It would make a super good martial arts movie. I totally hope someone makes it into one someday.

If we're talking about mainstream writers (as opposed to Science Fiction writers, I mean) I want to recommend Nevil Shute. He's been dead for a while but he wrote the greatest stories. The ones by him I recommend the most are "Round the Bend", "No Highway", "The Pied Piper", "Trustee from the Toolroom", and "The Legacy". The last title is also known as "A Town Like Alice" but I like the original title better. He was such an amazing guy and a gifted writer. His books have that quality that they pull you along effortlessly. You can't stop reading. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
If your going to mention Nevil Shute, you have to mention On the Beach. It's gotta be his most famous novel and one of the best apocalypse novels.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman, maybe. Start with Neverwhere, which is almost too fast-paced, but a great and accessible introduction to him.

I haven't read John Connolly's other stuff, but the Book of Lost Things is a pretty good read if you're comfortable with a dark fairy tale.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Give Jim Butcher a turn if you find you have the time. The Codex of Alera has been most entertaining.

Also Garth Nix for a lighter read while you're transitioning to another novel. Anything from him is quality.

To hold HP near and dear isn't something you should admit.
You must <large obnoxious text> proclaim </large obnoxious text> it!

[ October 07, 2008, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Trent Destian ]

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
Lois McMaster Bujold.

There....I fixed that for you.

I really haven't gotten into those particular books, but I thought Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls to be wonderful, enough so that I because a big fan of hers. I had read one or tow books of hers before and didn't like them at all, but those books convinced me to give her another try, and I have not regretted it.

Some of the best storytelling I have ever read.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Waiting for Ms.C to finish Brisingr...

She takes forever to read...

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I couldn't get through The Dark is Rising series. I read the entire first book, and then tried to power through the second one but kept getting distracted. I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually.

Really? The second book is The Dark is Rising. And not just for the obvious eponymity. [Wink] The first book, IMHO, was much less accessible and not nearly as entertaining or engaging. Ah, well. I'm sure you'll get around to it someday. [Smile]

/hijack

I'll ditto a lot of the aforementioned authors - particularly Neil Gaiman (American Gods is also my favorite; I mean, small-town northern Wisconsin is totally a former stomping ground of mine!) and George R. R. Martin (gratuitous, well, everything is contained in his series, but it's fantastic. And never-ending...). I'm currently working my way through Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, and it's interesting so far.

Oh yeah - welcome to Hatrack! [Wave]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Have I mentioned how ungodly slow C reads...

Its excruciating I want to read it.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
If your going to mention Nevil Shute, you have to mention On the Beach. It's gotta be his most famous novel and one of the best apocalypse novels.

I actually don't much like On the Beach, myself. That's why I didn't mention it. It definitely was his most famous for a while. Now I think "A Town Like Alice" probably is. If you DO read "On the Beach" first of his, and if you don't like it, be sure to try something else by him too, preferably "Round the Bend" or one of the others I listed up there. I think "On the Beach" is uncharacteristic of him in general.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysha
Member # 11771

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! My list is so long now, hopefully I'll like a lot of the authors and have stuff to read for a long time to come! It's nice not always having to fall back on Card... although I am excited for Ender in Exile.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.