FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » US Mint to extend 50 state quarter program - sites chosen, release dates announced

Author Topic: US Mint to extend 50 state quarter program - sites chosen, release dates announced
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to start a new thread for this rather than update the other US Mint I had. Generally I like to update old threads with related information to reduce forum clutter, but it was suggested to me in that thread that a new thread would have been appropriate, so, I'll let you all be the judges of which is better.

The US Mint has decided to continue the program into 2009. "But there are only 50 states!" you might say. Well that's true, but we also have five territories and the District of Columbia. Those six will be featured (at equal intervals between releases) on the 2009 quarters.

This has been announced for over a year so many of you may have already heard about it, and in fact the design and selection process has been ongoing since January of this year at least. And there has already been some intrigue in the selection process.

When DC's Mayor originally sent in the three prospective designs for the DC quarter, all three contained the phrase "Taxation Without Representation," which is actually on their license plates and is a hot button issue among DC residents. For anyone who doesn't know, DC only in the last couple decades (I think) got the right to have electors in the presidential electoral college, and has a non-voting representative in Congress, and no one in the Senate. They've complained for a long time that they, like our revolutionary forefathers, must pay taxes without representation. But the Mint nixed the words from the quarter designs and they were replaced with "Justice for all." The rejection of the phrase was made within two days of its submission.

Here are the designs for the DC quarters. DC residents voted in May and June, and the winner announced was the Duke Ellington quarter. Not sure how I feel about that. I think it would've been cool to show like Washington Monument with all the major points around it in the background, but no dice.

I'll have to cut it short there, but I'll be back in a couple hours to finish the other five territories. I have to get lunch before the line in the cafeteria gets too long.

[ October 04, 2009, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DC residents voted in May and June, and the winner announced was the Duke Ellington quarter. Not sure how I feel about that. I think it would've been cool to show like Washington Monument with all the major points around it in the background, but no dice.
<grin> Having grown up outside DC, I'd bet there's a civic pride issue at work here.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
For the love of all that is...I don't like this much. Mostly because my job requires me to deal with this all the time. I'm not wild about constantly getting asked when the next state quarter is coming out, so I'm not pleased that it will keep happening for awhile.

I mean...I guess it's a good idea. But I lost interest with the quarters a long time ago.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Where do you work? A bank?

And technically they aren't state quarters now, they're territorial quarters. [Wink]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The rest of the quarters:

After DC will be Guam. Both are nice quarter designs. The winner was the one on the left that has the picture of Guam on it. The inscription, "“Guåhan Tånó I Man Chamorro," I think means "Land of the Chamorro," which is apparently what ethnic Guamanians call themselves. Googling it didn't meet with a lot of success.

Next in line is American Samoa.

Followed by the Virgini Islands. These are some nice ones. If you look at the three when they are all lined up, the one on the far right won. It's called "Virgin Islands beauty."

Puerto Rico is up next, and apparently hasn't voted or decided on a winner yet.

And the Nortehrn Marianas will cap off the program with three mostly weird looking designs, but it looks like most of it is locally inspired, which is always interesting. Could be a fun learning thing for people collecting.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Some new coinage news for you numismatists out there!

The 50 state quarter program, recently extended for another year (DC is out there now), has been extended for another 11 years! 56 more quarters will be issues, one for every state, territory and DC detailing their national parks and historic sites. Site selection is currently ongoing, with the first quarters to be issued in 2010 at a rate of 5 a year (probably six in that last year).

They'll be issued in chronological order starting from the date the first historic site was designated a site, so, it'll be grab bag.

And, there's some rumors out there that starting in 2010, George Washington might be replaced on the quarter (where he has held residence since 1932) with a far more appropriate choice, Teddy Roosevelt. Roosevelt as many of you may know was an environmental protectionist titan. Without him, there might never have been a serious drive in this country for preservation and conservation (at least not for awhile), and thus his face (the only of the Mt. Rushmore presidents not on the money) would be appropriately placed on the quarter alongside the progeny of his work.

It's still under consideration however, and no final decision has been made, and won't be until later this year. SecTreas Tim Geithner, with all his free time, has to give a lot of the okays to the designs, sites and what not.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yow.

For anybody, like me, wanting to know more...

The U.S. Mint on America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008

Numismatic News reports on the recommendation that Roosevelt be considered for the obverse.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. If they're going for territories as well as states, how about Iraq, Afghanistan, Germany, and Japan quarters? [Evil]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yea. They should also do The Free State of Winston and The State of Deseret too.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They'll be issued in chronological order starting from the date the first historic site was designated a site, so, it'll be grab bag.
Yellowstone was the first National Park, but it is actually in three different states (Wyoming, Idaho and Montana). Most of it is in Wyoming, but the two of the three main entrances are in Montana. I wonder which state will be allowed to claim it and get the first quarter.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a WPA program to keep engravers employed?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

All 56 sites have been chosen for the 11 year program, set to end in 2021. The complete list of sites in chronological release order can be found here. Some of these are just awful choices I think. Mt. Rushmore is an obvious choice, but it was already on the South Dakota quarter. A lot of the rest of these are going to be very difficult to render on a tiny quarter.

For example, these are the initial designs for the 2010 year of quarters. The actual quarters won't come out looking nearly that detailed, though they'll still look close I imagine. Regardless, a lot of these images just looks like interchangeable nature scenes. The Commission of Fine Arts has made the following recommendation for the 2010 year, and they've outright rejected one set of designs, and have problems with some of the others.

I thought this was kind of a neat idea at first, now I think it's going to be a little goofy. I had hoped this would generate interest in our national parks and historic sites, but I don't see that happening.

On the bright side, the lackluster appeal of these quarters might make them quite valuable to collectors, unlike the state quarters, which were collected and produced in such abundance as to make their long term value as collectibles somewhat low. I'm still going to collect these, but I'm not super excited about it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.