FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Political Nuetrality by Mormon Church (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Political Nuetrality by Mormon Church
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, welcome back. Whatever.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, if you love sanity, don't click on Frisco's last link.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
Where does that stop, really?
At the point where the organization decides that it's a better deal just to pay the same taxes as everyone else. It's an entirely voluntary arrangement.
This is the key point. Boris, I linked to a page detailing the conditions of tax-exemption. I'm puzzled as to why you think the current restrictions on tax-exemption are tyrannical.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the desire to increase those restrictions is tyrannical, Threads. That's what people are calling for.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

Who?
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The original poster of this thread, for one.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Really?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I mean thats the actual post. Doesn't really really seem like much of a call to anything.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

Unicorn's various rants in this thread have been all over the place but I don't think he has advocated removing tax-exemption from churches. He did say this:

quote:
I am fine with any and all Churches 'ENDORSING' candidates.

They pretty much do it any way.

EDIT: I'm sure you could find some people who want to remove tax-exemption from churches, but they are certainly a minority. I doubt there is any sort of constitutional standing for such a position since the government's position on tax-exemption for religious organizations is religion neutral. At least I'm pretty certain that's the case. Dagonee or some other lawyer could probably clarify.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Personally, I'm rather fond of the idea of removing tax-exemption altogether, restoring free speech to churches, and cutting income tax to cover the difference in one big field levelling swoop.

But you're right, its certainly a minority.

Threads
Member # 10863

To clarify, I was talking about removing tax-exemption from just churches, not removing tax-exemption from all eligible organizations.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that we should remove that particular restriction on not-for-profits. If a corporation is not-for-profit, it is not-for-profit. Whatever it says.

I do not think this lead to an improvement in either religion or politics, but it would be consistant. The current regulation is odd and awkward and almost impossible to enforce.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
I am all for Churches having Tax Exemptions. Doesn't bother me at all. Let them Endorse too. But it'd be nice to have a little accountability.

"Did we push for Bush?" "Yes." "It was the right choice, Gore would have been 1000 times worse." Ok. you're the one with the divine knowledge.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

UF, are you able to understand the church you are targeting in this thread specifically did not do that?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
UF, are you able to understand...

*buzzes in early to answer the question*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
UF, are you able to understand the church you are targeting in this thread specifically did not do that?

UF is wrong, but since a pretty fair fraction of the Utah Mormon's I know think that the Church leaders endorse Bush and the republicans, its hard to fault someone outside the church for coming to the same conclusion.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, I am wrong.

total political nuetraliity it is

may the correct Lord forgive me

may my eternal burns from hell be medium

God Bless America

[ October 24, 2008, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Unicorn Feelings ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
may my eternal burns from hell be medium
[ROFL]

Second degree, at worst. I'm going to start including this in my prayers.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
...oh god, its hard to write I'm laughing too hard...
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.