FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Traveling I-20 from DFW to Meridian. Advice?

Author Topic: Traveling I-20 from DFW to Meridian. Advice?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm driving in the middle of the night, and I'll be going through Jackson at 3-4am. Has anyone lived/been in these areas (northern Louisiana/mid-Mississippi) often enough to know if there are plenty of (safe) places to stop for gas at that time? I'm a tad nervous, because I've never been this route. Advice would be awesome.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
keep driving!
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify: I wouldn't be stopping in Jackson for gas. I was just trying to give people an idea of where I would be when.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phianna
Member # 11767

- posted      Profile for phianna           Edit/Delete Post 
I would try stopping in Ridgeland, Pearl, or Brandon before stopping in Jackson. All are very close together and those are considered to be safer areas.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out why it's scary to begin with. Is it because it's rural? Because it's a different culture than you're used to? Because it's going to be nighttime?

I think I would expect it to be business as usual. Truck stops will be open 24 hours, mostly, so there should be food and gasoline available anywhere along the interstate.

I've traveled in south Alabama late at night going to the beach, and all through GA, SC, TN late at night at different times. People in the small towns and along the interstate at food and gas stops are nice and non-scary.

I do try to stay away from the cities, their downtown areas, when stopping. I stick to the fairly sleepy places on the outskirts of cities, or further away. That said, I had to stop in Atlanta twice in various run-down parts of town recently and it was fine. This was earlier in the evening, before 10pm, and there were lots of people around both times. I gave a nodded hello to several people as I went in. Nobody looked askance at me. I don't think you need to worry. You'll be fine.

Do be sure to go the speed limit, or not more than about 5 miles an hour above the speed limit, because the small town cops are notorious for ticketing travelers. If you stay on I-20 you shouldn't have any problem with that really. All you'll see is state troopers. Do watch for the speed limit to drop through urban areas, though, and follow it even if it seems unnecessary.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phianna
Member # 11767

- posted      Profile for phianna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm trying to figure out why it's scary to begin with. Is it because it's rural? Because it's a different culture than you're used to? Because it's going to be nighttime?
Experience. My in-laws had their car stolen in Jackson, and my friend was beat up and mugged in Jackson. Both in areas very near I-20. I live in the Meridian area and will not stop at night in Jackson. I prefer to go the the previously mentioned communities.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Jackson is a crime-ridden cesspool, perhaps?

A little thing we call common sense?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Well, let's see. I live in the middle of nowhere (rural) and I was raised in the low-country of Georgia (similar culture). So, yeah, it's the nighttime thing. I would be uncomfortable traveling all night long pretty much anywhere, especially a route I have never traveled. And, yeah, I haven't heard anything about the crime rate in Jackson that makes it sound like a hoot to visit at 3 am. I'd rather stop in a rural area than a big city any day.

quote:
Do be sure to go the speed limit, or not more than about 5 miles an hour above the speed limit, because the small town cops are notorious for ticketing travelers. If you stay on I-20 you shouldn't have any problem with that really. All you'll see is state troopers. Do watch for the speed limit to drop through urban areas, though, and follow it even if it seems unnecessary.
I have actually been on road trips before, just not in that area. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronizing. I just never know what things are obvious to other people, since it's usually an entirely different set than the things that are obvious to me. So, yeah, I spend a lot of my time totally baffled. [Smile]

I remember that you are from the South somewhere, but I was thinking Texas or something? Or was it Arizona? My memory is terrible!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

How did it go?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Big Grin] I'm alive. My cousin the truck driver gave me a list of the best truck stops. (The ones with the drug deals in the back lots.) The biggest danger turned out to be the near zero-visibility as it began pouring when the sun came up Friday and rained through Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. I saw several accidents and we're lucky we weren't in one. It was terrible.

Re: where I'm from: I was raised in Georgia, moved to AZ when I was a teenager, and recently moved to Texas. So you got them right. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

[Smile] I'm glad you're alive! I've done a few of those near zero-visibility rain trips and they're quite harrowing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.