FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why would you throw away our greatest treasure? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why would you throw away our greatest treasure?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they give Oscars to forum trolls? Surely there's another name for the award, at least.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We had Hatrack Awards one year. Tony (Scythrop) ran them.

I forget if they had a nickname or not.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Blindsay,

The official church positions is that it discourages abortion for its members. There is no stance on it as a legal issue, and it isn't like the church is afraid to take a stance on legal issues, so I think you're fine.

I feel the same way, I was just a little worried someone would tell me I needed to go talk to my Bishop based on my thoughts. You never know here [Wink]
Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Do they give Oscars to forum trolls? Surely there's another name for the award, at least.

OSCars? [Big Grin]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
I am worried, that because of the hiccup in the economy, Americans will believe the onslaught of total lies the media force feeds us all day everyday!

If Barack Obama is elected this country will be ruined within days, and then there will be no chance we can overturn Roe Vs. Wade for 4 to 8 years!

If God FORBID somehow ACORN manages to steal the election and forces Barack Obama to win, our job will become harder, but we must never give up the fight!! We must over turn all forms of abortion on a state level!

We can do it! It can be done!

Sarah Palin says that God is in control of the election. I believe in God. John Mccain will win! I should not worry.

They should invent a pill or nano-bot that prevents a man's "Equipment" from working in a sexual way. When he got married, the government could turn his "Equipment" back on!

We need more pro-life presidents like George W. Bush!

That would be great!

Please Lord!

For Christmas?

Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:

OSCars? [Big Grin]
This post was full of WIN
Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn Feelings:
I am worried, that because of the hiccup in the economy, Americans will believe the onslaught of total lies the media force feeds us all day everyday!

If Barack Obama is elected this country will be ruined within days, and then there will be no chance we can overturn Roe Vs. Wade for 4 to 8 years!

If God FORBID somehow ACORN manages to steal the election and forces Barack Obama to win, our job will become harder, but we must never give up the fight!! We must over turn all forms of abortion on a state level!

We can do it! It can be done!

Sarah Palin says that God is in control of the election. I believe in God. John Mccain will win! I should not worry.

They should invent a pill or nano-bot that prevents a man's "Equipment" from working in a sexual way. When he got married, the government could turn his "Equipment" back on!

We need more pro-life presidents like George W. Bush!

That would be great!

Please Lord!

For Christmas?

This post on the other hand is full of lose.
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree!
Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

OSCars? [Big Grin]
Come to think of it, that may have been the name Tony gave 'em.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
[Q You've yet to demonstrate that this is what large numbers of pro-lifers want to do.

[/QUOTE]

It makes me sick that anyone is Anti-Life, it makes me sick and dizzy to think 40% of our country is Anti-Life. I have been saying for years, "we needed more social controls on the media, video games and rock and roll." I agree, Dagonee! If only they'd listened to us!

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I always would sort of start reading Unicorn Feelings' posts and try to, you know, really understand them. But they were so manic that they would sort of leave me disoriented when I attempted to make a cogent response to how dumb they were. I mean, there was always that option where I or anyone else could have really sat down and put my/their mind to it, but that is effort wasted as surely as if I were to lie on my back and pedal my feet around in the air.

But now that we're here now basically there's one real question left: how long is he allowed to unabashedly troll the forum with this dumb schtick.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I always would sort of start reading Unicorn Feelings' posts and try to, you know, really understand them. But they were so manic that they would sort of leave me disoriented when I attempted to make a cogent response to how dumb they were. I mean, there was always that option where I or anyone else could have really sat down and put my/their mind to it, but that is effort wasted as surely as if I were to lie on my back and pedal my feet around in the air.

But now that we're here now basically there's one real question left: how long is he allowed to unabashedly troll the forum with this dumb schtick.

How long can we let, Thor, the dumb troll maniac run free?

I agree I am dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, I too am at a loss to find the word for how dumb I am, but that's probably because I am so dumb.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
haha

It is like watching a person who is so immature as an individual that they opted for engaging upon the worst possible response to a moderator rebuke.

lol, seriouspost: ban unicorn feelings. honestly. this is when you ban someone, fo' real

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor would much rather be despised than be ignored or dismissed. He's always been that way.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. How can you tell that it's this guy Thor, as opposed to some random tube-dweller?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I remain unconvinced that this troll is that troll.

I think I may take that back.

The whiny sarcasm is definitely Thor-like.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:
Originally posted by Qaz:
Thank you, Katharina. In my ordinary life I am a mild-mannered reporter, but at night I become -- a random sequence of letters!

More to the point, I sometimes teach a class in which there's a component of critical thinking (it's not my usual topic), and on my own I'm exploring something called Nonviolent Communication, which is the art of talking to people on touchy topics without (you hope) pissing them off. We'll see how well it works.

Oh! I want to learn to do that! I actually try, though I am often unsuccessful. [Smile]
Me too! Let's have an online class!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, which wholly escapes me, I am presently reminded of this passage from Perelandra, by C. S. Lewis:

----------------

"Ransom," it said.

"Well?" said Ransom.

"Nothing," said the Un-man...

..."Ransom," it said again.

"What is it?" said Ransom sharply.

"Nothing," it answered...

...Next time he determined not to answer; but when it had called on him a thousand times he found himself answering whether he would or no, and "Nothing," came the reply. He taught himself to keep silent in the end: not that the torture of resisting his impulse to speak was less than the torture of reponse but because something within him rose up to combat the tormentor's assurance that he must yield in the end. If the attack had been of some more violent kind it might have been easier to resist. What chilled and almost cowed him was the union of malice with something nearly childish. For temptation, for blasphemy, for a whole battery of horrors, he was in some sort prepared: but hardly for this petty, indefatigable nagging as of a nasty little boy at a preparatory school. Indeed no imagined horror could have surpassed the sense which grew within him as the slow hours passed, that this creature was, by all human standards, inside out - its heart on the surface and its shallowness at the heart. On the surface, great designs and an antagonism to Heaven which involved the fate of worlds: but deep within, when every veil had been pierced, was there, after all, nothing but a black puerility, an aimless empty spitefulness content to sate itself with the tiniest cruelties?...

...Then all at once it was night. "Ransom...Ransom...Ransom...Ransom" went on the voice. And suddenly it crossed his mind that though he would some time require sleep, the Un-man might not.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

I agree. I believe I spent most of my time on Hatrack talking about Trickle down economics was un Christ-like and would end in total disaster.

What a fool I was, what a fool I am.

And I do not believe my posts post rebuke have been disrespectful in anyway to Hatrack, or the moderator.

you guys must be right.

Abortion, Gay Marriage and Stem Cell research are the most important issues facing Christianity today. Fools like me should not be suffered.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Thor. Either that, or someone who really hates the heck out of Thor. The way that personal complaints about working at the bookstore showed up casually in both the "danlo" and "unicorn" posts really was what comvinced me. You'd have to really be invested to throw that stuff in there, because it's a minor detail. It's almost artistic, if it's not Thor. However, I'm pretty sure it's him. Who would be so invested in Thor that they'd go to the trouble to do such a careful and well-thought-out version, that is so accurate, right down to such a tiny detail? He hasn't posted here enough, to affect anyone that much, that they would take such careful notice of him, and go to such trouble to imitate him. Perhaps.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
quote:

OSCars? [Big Grin]
Come to think of it, that may have been the name Tony gave 'em.
Surely, the original post was a play on Oscar the Grouch (I could be terminally obtuse at this hour)
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

You guys are freaking hilarious.

Now even I am starting to doubt if I am me.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a while. I think it is Thor on slightly less marijuana.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

obvious alt is obvious
steven
Member # 8099

Here is an interesting take on abortion, from Cecil Adams, of Straight Dope fame. I find his point about English common law quite interesting. Here is the relevant quote:

"...quickening. That is, at the point at which fetal movement can be detected, usually around the 16th week of pregnancy. Abortion before quickening, Roe observes, wasn’t an indictable offense in English common law, apparently in line with the Aristotelian idea that the fetus didn’t become a person till sometime between conception and birth."

Doesn't our legal tradition have most of its roots in English common law?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doesn't our legal tradition have most of its roots in English common law?
Yes. That doesn't mean English common law is morally correct. See, e.g., spousal rape.*

*Here I'm referring to the historical English common law, not current.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Below is a quote from abortion facts dot com addressing these law issues.

"In the early 1800s it was discovered that human life did not begin when she "felt life," but rather at fertilization. As a direct result of this, the British Parliament in 1869 passed the "Offenses Against the Persons Act," eliminating the above bifid punishment and dropping the felony punishment back to fertilization. One by one, across the middle years of the 19th century, every then-present state passed its own law against abortion. By 1860, 85% of the population lived in states which had prohibited abortion with new laws."

I guess what I find odd is that, while the religiously devout people of early America, (and of course, Britain, where many of our ancestors are from, and where we get our legal tradition), as well as those who wrote the Bible, chose not to illegalize or condemn abortion, many/most abortion opponents are against abortion for quasi-religious reasons, and are often very serious about following the letter of Biblical rule. IN some cases, these people are YEC (I know that not all are, so don't think I'm saying that). It's like saying "the founders and transmitters of our faith were right about all these many moral details, but they totally missed the boat about abortion." It seems incoungruous to be both super-passionate about abortion and super-passionate about Christian faith. There's precious little direct support in the Bible, or even Christian tradition, for going ape about abortion. I'm not saying there's no support, just very little direct support.

steven
Member # 8099

Any thoughts?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts is that there is a contradiction in rights between the rights of those unable to protect themselves and the rights of those who wish to control their own self worth.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's Thor. Either that, or someone who really hates the heck out of Thor. The way that personal complaints about working at the bookstore showed up casually in both the "danlo" and "unicorn" posts really was what comvinced me. You'd have to really be invested to throw that stuff in there, because it's a minor detail. It's almost artistic, if it's not Thor. However, I'm pretty sure it's him. Who would be so invested in Thor that they'd go to the trouble to do such a careful and well-thought-out version, that is so accurate, right down to such a tiny detail? He hasn't posted here enough, to affect anyone that much, that they would take such careful notice of him, and go to such trouble to imitate him. Perhaps.
Can you write a short story around this paragraph, because I honsetly was starting to enjoy this from a purely literary quality. It was a very"Catcher in the Rye" narrative.

As for the argument of why those who are against abortion don't adopt more children, the answer is a lot easier to understand than it at first sounds. Have you ever tried to adopt? I mean seriously? The hoops you have to jump, the amount that it costs, and the legal wrangling that just as easily ends in a failed attempt is very prohibitive and time consuming. I would love to have much of this changed to make it easier to adopt and I am not the only one who feels this way. To say you are against abortion and therefore should adopt is not as simple as rhetorical quips.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.