FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » McCain Campaign worker pretends to be attacked by Obama supporter...

Author Topic: McCain Campaign worker pretends to be attacked by Obama supporter...
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just sad.

quote:
Ashley Todd, 20, of Texas, initially told police that she was robbed at an ATM in Bloomfield and that the suspect became enraged and started beating her after seeing her GOP sticker on her car.

Police investigating the alleged attack, however, began to notice some inconsistencies in her story and administered a polygraph test.

This afternoon, a Pittsburgh police commander told KDKA Investigator Marty Griffin that Todd confessed to making up the story.

The commander added that Todd will face charges; but police have not commented on what those charges will be.

The topper is that she had a B scratched on her face, which she claimed her attacker had done to her. What's hilarious about that? The B was backwards...as if she had done it to herself in a mirror.

So sad.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Even Michelle Malkin called bs on the woman's story. It was pretty clear cut fraud from the start (if you know what I mean [Wink] ).
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Since Fox News was reporting this heavily, I think Malking was just lucky in waiting before she came out to write/talk about it. (She works for Fox, IIRC)
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
And now, she plays beat the press:

quote:
Ashley Todd, 20, of College Station, Texas, is charged with filing a false police report. She told investigators she has had psychological issues in the past and Bryant said detectives are working with the Allegheny County District Attorney's office to determine whether Todd should be released on the misdemeanor charge or taken to a hospital for evaluation.

"She just opened up and said she wanted to tell the truth," Bryant said. "She was upset with the media for blowing this into a political firestorm."

It's almost as if she's been watching TV these past few weeks.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
That is just weird.

EDIT: Cool, my 666th post!

[ October 25, 2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: C3PO the Dragon Slayer ]

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Just when I thought the election couldn't get any stranger...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

On the plus side, rabid liberals everywhere now have a Halloween costume.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know there had been a rabies outbreak. Are health officials on top of this.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sad that this woman thought that lying might help her candidates campaign.

What is even sadder is that people that support both candidates are doing it.

I have a friend that swore that his car was keyed because he had an Obama bumper sticker on the back.

Nevermind that it could have been keyed for any number of other reasons. He had an Obama sticker, so that HAD to be the reason!

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I didn't know there had been a rabies outbreak. Are health officials on top of this.

Do we need to cut off the girls head and pack it in a freezer until tests can be conducted?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Republican student at Princeton who did something similar a while back, faking a politically-motivated assault on himself. What is with these people?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
There was a Republican student at Princeton who did something similar a while back, faking a politically-motivated assault on himself. What is with these people?

Clearly they are willing to do more than you or I in support of their party. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blindsay:
It's sad that this woman thought that lying might help her candidates campaign.

What is even sadder is that people that support both candidates are doing it.

I have a friend that swore that his car was keyed because he had an Obama bumper sticker on the back.

Nevermind that it could have been keyed for any number of other reasons. He had an Obama sticker, so that HAD to be the reason!

But unlike this woman, the guys car was actually keyed and it is possible that it was because he had an Obama bumper sticker. Whereas this woman faked an attack, beat herself up and made a false police report. It is hard to see that the two are comparable beyond the most superficial level.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that this was a very pre-meditated thing. It sounds like she has some mental issues, and she wasn't the one who initiated the police report. I hope she gets the help she needs.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I hope she gets the help she needs.

Amen.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think they are trying to play on racial fears--Black man means violence, theft, and danger.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
And B stands for...I...yeah I don't have a clue what was up with that. An O would have been much less confusing.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention harder to write backwards.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

The B is perfect. Stands for Barack, and Black, and Bill Ayers, and joe the plumBer...

Maybe that last one was a stretch.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:

There's nutballs on both ends of the political spectrum. they don't really make for good representation of their respective 'side'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
Not to mention harder to write backwards.

Hah!
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew, it's a good thing this happened so that we now know how crazy and stupid all republicans are.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
There's nutballs on both ends of the political spectrum. they don't really make for good representation of their respective 'side'

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Whew, it's a good thing this happened so that we now know how crazy and stupid all republicans are.

[Smile]

I think it's just that the Left's wingnuts are easier to spot, in general. The model of conservatism (to speak in very very broad terms) is to be conservative, to underplay, to fit in to some extent with the status quo and the existing power structure. (again, very broadly) So if someone who seems to be conservative suddenly carves her own face, it's shocking.

Now, for the Left (where I live), generally we can *all* spot the real crazies. They take "differ from the norm" waaayy out there, well beyond progressive and into gibbering. To see someone who is visibly differing from the norm with great avidity suddenly carve their own face is, well, not *as* much of a surprise. And it's easier for Leftists to note that obviously this person isn't representative of the party.

I think.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Good theory, Claudia. Except that liberals already think that the basics of conservative ideology are indicative of some form of mental or social defect. I believe what I do because I'm greedy, selfish, lacking in compassion, a bigot, a brainwash religious nut with a closed mind, and willfully ignorant of science and history even as it slaps me in the face.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
Good theory, Claudia. Except that liberals already think that the basics of conservative ideology are indicative of some form of mental or social defect. I believe what I do because I'm greedy, selfish, lacking in compassion, a bigot, a brainwash religious nut with a closed mind, and willfully ignorant of science and history even as it slaps me in the face.

And conservatives think liberals are effete, naive, lazy, dope smoking, atheists, who sleep with a different person every night, sit around waiting for a handout, have communist leanings, expect government to fix all their problems, and hate America.

And while I will agree that both stereotypes are unfair, there is also some truth in them. But I must say that while I've been told by many of my conservative friends that I would change my politics "when I started getting paid real money" or that "they vote their pocket book", I've never heard any of my liberal friends ask for a handout.

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

But I bet they believe in providing hand-outs, don't they?

Yes both unfair, and like most stereotypes, both have a bit of truth at their base. In truth, anyone who goes so far as to have a well defined ideological stance more than likely has altruistic motives at heart (yes, even conservatives.) We all want things to be objectively better, and the more we think about how to actually improve the world, the more likely we are to develop a structured system of thought the is at least coherent within itself. Thus, conservatives and liberals.

Take it farther, and you begin to see flaws in your own. This doesn't mean you stop seeing the fallacy of the other side, of course.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
But I bet they believe in providing hand-outs, don't they?
There is an enormous difference between seeking handouts for yourself and seeking to give handouts to those who are less fortunate than you.

Liberals believe in helping the poor, the sick, children and the elderly but they generally don't refer to that as "handouts'.

To be honest, most of the conservatives I know also believe in helping the poor, the sick, children and the elderly.

The difference between most Liberals and most conservatives in this regard isn't that Liberal believe in hand outs and conservatives are selfish and greedy. The difference is what they see as the appropriate government roll.

The same can be said of many issues like abortion, education, road building, and so on.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

As an added note on the unfairness of political stereotypes.

Consider the following quote from an address on World Food Day.

quote:
. . . in the world community, economic life should be oriented toward the sharing of these goods, towards their long term usage and the fair distribution of the resulting benefits.
Any guess who said it?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

quote:
. . . in the world community, economic life should be oriented toward the sharing of these goods, towards their long term usage and the fair distribution of the resulting benefits.
Any guess who said it?
Well...you did just now Rabbit. [Wink]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
If it weren't clearly a more recent quotation, I would have guessed Teddy Roosevelt.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I know this one. *grin
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to file this down as another failed super-reaching attempt at a scoop by Drudge, which is rapidly becoming even more terrible as a news source.

Drudge wants so badly to get another scoop like Lewinsky, that it actually is the primary factor in decreasing their credibility as a source. They jump on top of a bunch of unverified BS and throw out conspiratorial titles like OBAMA EATS BABIES, ALLEGEDLY USES MARINARA SAUCE ... DEVELOPING ...

in fact, here, I just took a screencap of Drudge. Wow, its like they were trying very hard to confirm my description of them.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/8725/drudgereportisbspe8.jpg

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

quote:
Any guess who said it?
Well...you did just now Rabbit. [Wink]
And the answer is . . . .

drum roll

Spoiler warning

Pope Benedict

Not exactly someone who is frequently accused of liberalism.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've never heard any of my liberal friends ask for a handout.

That can be fixed easily enough.

Oh, Rabbit . . . !

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that none of them had hit me up for a handout. Heck, I've given "loans" to half my friends (both liberal and conservative).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.