FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Opie for Obama

Author Topic: Opie for Obama
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cc65ed650d
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't hurt.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
LTTP
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a feeling I should have added a preemptive apology if it'd already been posted somewhere else. He's not my candidate either, but kudos to Ron Howard nonetheless!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh-- kind of whiny and unconvincing, IMO.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Let me be more specific-- the argument that "The last eight years have been awful. Therefore, vote Obama!" is not one I find convincing.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What about "The last eight years have been awful due to this administration's policies. One of the two candidates has said he's committed to many of the worst of those policies. Therefore, vote for the one who says he's committed to changing them."

Is that better?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Better, but I want more details.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many days of makeup it took to get Henry Winkler to look like that.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That was FUNNY. Long, but FUNNY. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
LTTP

[Hail]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You may rise.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think his effort to sex up his message by removing his shirt is appalling. [Wink]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bama has conducted much of his campaign like a revival meeting. His cadence and his delivery when speaking is very reminiscent of the type of preaching most people in America associate with charismatic black churches. It’s extremely effective– on a level deeper than intellectual, Obama has connected to many voters in a way that is comforting, uplifting, and empowering. He’s been ribbed for having a bit of a Messiah complex; and certainly, his campaign has practically nominated itself as the One, True, Way out of This Mess.
I may be risking a rift in the space time continuum by admitting that for the second time today, ScottR and I are in full agreement.

I haven't heard anyone mention it , but I think some very interesting parallels can be drawn between Reagan's 1980 campaign and Obama's campaign. In 1980, the nation was reeling from a decade of failures from Vietnam to Iran and we were in the midst of a serious economic crisis. At that point, Reagan's optimistic message to "Make America Great Again" resonated with a lot of people and I think people voted for him and continue to revere him because of his ability to make people feel good much more than anything else.

I personally have never understood exactly how Reagan was able to connect to so many people, it gave me the heebeegeebees whenever I heard him speak. But its pretty unquestionable that he did connect with the majority of Americans. And at the risk of invoking Godwin's law, I will point out that these strategy is exactly how Hitler rose to power.

So here I am. I know that if Obama wins the election it will be largely because his charismatic message resonates with people in difficult times and I think this is a very dangerous way to choose leaders. Nonetheless I think that there are valid reasons to support Obama and I want him to win. Its creating a certain amount of cognitive dissonance.

[ October 29, 2008, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Rabbit:

I also think that human-influenced global climate change is a real and valid concern, and that changing our consumption (read: daily living habits) is an important part of solving the problem.

Rip that continuum wide, baby! Let spill the quantum beans!

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's Godwin's Law.

I just found it amusing that Reagan could win on a mistake made by Ford. (Effectively setting up the replacement of the Shah by the Ayatollah through pressuring SaudiArabia to break OPEC)
And when his policies lead to oil prices going even higher, reelecting him.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
That's Godwin's Law.

Fixed.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
That's Godwin's Law.

I just found it amusing that Reagan could win on a mistake made by Ford. (Effectively setting up the replacement of the Shah by the Ayatollah through pressuring SaudiArabia to break OPEC)
And when his policies lead to oil prices going even higher, reelecting him.

*sigh* A mistake which continues to haunt us to this day.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.