FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary Set

Author Topic: Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary Set
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
*Warning: Extreme Fanboy gushing post. Feel free to ignore*

My copy arrived in the mail today.

I had no idea when I pre-ordered it that it would be coming in a tin! Classy. [Cool]

Unfortunately, upon opening the tin, one discovers that removing the movie box without damaging it is nearly impossible. I literally had to shoehorn it out. [Grumble]

Episodes contained therein:

• The First Spaceship on Venus- Rather an odd choice, but upon reflection, Shout Factory probably wanted an early season episode with the (mostly) original cast...and most of the iconic episodes from that era have already had a Rhino release or are not legally obtainable. Despite its obscurity, this still is a funny episode. At least Joel can be seen much more frequently in the bonus material.
  • Laserblast- The final episode of the Comedy Central run, the final episode with Trace. Part of the little-seen Seventh Season, this is one of the most brilliantly funny episodes of the series. They manage to totally destroy the cheesy film, give each character a good skit, and tie the whole show up neatly. Happily, this wasn't the end.
  • Werewolf- Consistently voted as one of the best episodes of the SciFi years, this one has it all: Ridiculous makeup, incoherent plot, terrible acting...yet crazy and never boring. In other words, the ideal movie for MST-ing. This film could challenge Manos for worst turkey they ever did.
  • Future War- It contains dinosaurs, time traveling super-soldiers, and a nun who kicks butt. Despite this, it makes Space Mutiny look like Casablanca. In other words, another gem from the SciFi years. [Big Grin]

The set also contains film trailers, the 2008 Comic Con full-cast reunion panel, and a brand new three part documentary that explores the history of the show from "Season Zero" at KTMA to 1999. MST-ies who watched the show during the Comedy Central days probably remember the dreadful documentary they attempted back around Season Four. I'm a huge Penn & Teller fan, but at the conclusion of that special I wanted to beat host Penn Jillette with my bare hands. [Wall Bash]

This documentary has actual -content-. [Smile]

For extras there's a little golden Crow T. Robot (sadly, he will not riff.) and four "Lobby Cards" with new art featuring Crow and Tom Servo acting out the films.

Fun set.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE MST 3K

I am a Joel loyalist though.

And, TV's Frank always made me laugh for days.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
20 years? Gods, I feel old.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I know. I was thinking the same thing.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
20 years? Gods, I feel old.

Poor Joel looks as old as you feel. [Frown]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the others, but the Laserblast episode is marvellous.

I adore this show. Watching it always leaves me with a happy, smiley glow.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember which volume it was, but there's an MST3K film done about a recruiting/informational video about joining a band. I *really* want to find the source video for that and show it to my band students (the MST3K version is probably a bit too risque for middle school kids to watch in school), as the corniness alone would be hilarious to them.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I don't know where to find the original film, but it sounds like you're describing Mr. B. Natural. The MST3K version can be viewed on Volume 6 on the Rhino DVD releases.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one! Thanks!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.