FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2012 Presidential Election

Author Topic: 2012 Presidential Election
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
The election is over.
Time to worry about the next one.

[Embarrassed] [Blushing] [Grumble] They're red white and blue!

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Obama Two-Oh-12'!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Admit it, you were just trying to beat Lyrhawn to starting this thread. [Wink]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Pawlenty (Governor MN), Bobby Jindal (Governor LA), Mitt Romney (Former governor MA, and CEO), and Sarah Palin (Governor AK and VP candidate).

Maybe Mike Huckabee (former Governor AR, former pastor).

Four years out those are the obvious names that jump out.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Admit it, you were just trying to beat Lyrhawn to starting this thread. [Wink]

--Enigmatic

[Big Grin]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Jindal?! Eww.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He turned down any possibility of being McCain's VP for a variety of reasons. But I don't think he'll make it out of the primary unless there is a sea change in Republican orthodoxy and tactics. His real name isn't Bobby, I'm not sure what it is, but this is the party that said Barack Hussain Obama every time they said his name. When they refer to Jindal, they'll use his real name in an attempt to hurt him with nativist GOP voters, and they'll use his youth against him by calling him inexperienced despite the fact that Republicans trumpeted Palin is experienced, and she has less experience than he does. Definitions change every 4 years.

Pawlenty is a smart choice. Stealing Minnesota away from the Democrats is good, and he'd have broad appeal across a sea of blue in the midwest. He's also a new brand of Republican. He's less aggressive and more moderate. He's appeal to a lot of independents and would still be able to carry a lot of the base that McCain had problems wooing.

I think he'd crush Palin in a primary battle. She'll be tainted with this 2008 loss. She shot herself in the foot with her campaign tactics and lack of knowledge on national matters. She'd have to seriously bone up on wonkish policy stuff if she wanted to have a chance, otherwise Pawlenty will say she had her chance and blew it, and that he has more experience and a better chance of winning anyway. Besides, her favorable/unfavorable right now is 40/60 with major national recognition. That's a horrible starting point.

Undoubtable there are dark horse candidates out there that will crop up over the next two years, and we'll get an idea after the midterms who the frontrunners are. One thing I can say with some certainty is that Republicans won't run another Senator. Not only because they really don't have any decent GOP senators to put forth, but because they don't want to give Obama fodder with their voting records. They'll NEED someone with executive experience to challenge a sitting president, and they'll need to hope he fails to meet expectations, which is likely given how high they are.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
His name is Piyush, and he's kinda cute.

I would love to see a showdown between Obama as incumbent and Palin as challenger. That would be just plain funny.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://i33.tinypic.com/zx6yi8.jpg
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Hee hee.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
His name is Piyush, and he's kinda cute.

I'll give him that. Creationists often do look cute.

Or Amish.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys make me sick.

Let's enjoy this election first, shall we? [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
2012 polling statistics
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Early Vote
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Pawlenty on the ticket is enough to turn Minnesota blue for a national election.

Also, the ad on the bottom of this page for me is "Did Obama Buy The Election." I've just got to say no. I did. Kate did. The hundreds of thousands of people who have never donated to a political candidate before and gave to Obama for the first time did. It's our country, and we bought it back.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Tim Pawlenty (Governor MN), Bobby Jindal (Governor LA), Mitt Romney (Former governor MA, and CEO), and Sarah Palin (Governor AK and VP candidate).

Maybe Mike Huckabee (former Governor AR, former pastor).

Four years out those are the obvious names that jump out.

Meh, remember when the talk was all about Jeb Bush? What happened to that?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
They keep talking about Pailin 2012 in the news. On the one hand, that's a little scary. On the on the other hand, she'd get trounced, so assuming Obama turns out as good as I think he will, could be a good thing. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hilary Clinton vs. Sarah Palin

Crikes, I'd pay to see that one! I love a good cat fight!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Jeb Bush won't happen. Americans won't elect a third Bush, which sucks (for him and maybe us) because from all accounts, Jeb was actually a pretty good governor. Maybe after four years of Obama we'll warm to the idea, but I doubt it. Charlie Crist has a much, much better chance. I'd say Mark Sanford, but Republicans really need to break the white southern mold. A guy on CNN said this earlier but, they've really become the party of the white south. They need something (if not policies) to draw in minorities, women, and votes outside of the Confederacy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.