FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ballot measures besides prop 8 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ballot measures besides prop 8
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out a list here.
Some highlights and thoughts:

Florida also approved a measure to ban SSM. Arkansas approved initiative 1, which prohibits unmarried couples from adopting children or serving as foster parents, effectively ending same-sex adoption. In unrelated news, orphans in Arkansas become victims of politics. [Mad]

California prop 4 failed to pass, and would have required parental notification for a minor seeking an abortion (with provisions for the health and safety of the mother). South Dakota rejected a ban on all abortions except health/safety and rape/incest. As I understand it, SD rejected a ban in 2006 that did not contain those provisions, and the margins were very similar. Interesting data there. Colorodo overwhelmingly rejected a measure to define a person as existing from the moment of conception. I somewhat suspect that, as a nation, we are reaching something resembling a compromise on this issue.

Nebraska passed a measure to end affirmative action, while a similar measure in Colorodo is hanging in limbo, too close to call.

Michigan approved a measure that allows for embryonic stem cell research with the provisions that they be used no more than 14 days after cell division begins, and that the embryo had been created for fertility purposes.

Michigan also approved a proposition that allows patients who have registered to consume marijuana for medicinal purposes. The measure would also, interestingly enough, allow those prosecuted for marijuana-related crimes to cite medical use in defense. Massachusetts approved Question 2, which would make possession of an ounce or less of marijuana punishable by a civil fine (not sure exactly what that means) of $100. Minors caught would be required to complete a drug education program and perform community service, or pay a steeper penalty. Potheads rejoice.

Washington passed initiative 1000 to allow doctors to prescribe lethal medication at the (multiple, with waiting periods) request of a terminally ill patient. Terminally ill in this case means estimated at having six months or less to live.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, Florida banned SSM too?

Yay for the Canadian tourism industry, but otherwise, ugh.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Massachusetts approved Question 2, which would make possession of an ounce or less of marijuana punishable by a civil fine (not sure exactly what that means) of $100."

It means having an ounce of pot is approximately a parking ticket.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

That's what I thought, but wasn't certain how technical a term it was. Thanks.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy for both the Massachusetts decision on pot (I also hope that there are horrible penalties for driving while under the influence.) and a bit torn about the California one about prostitution. While I think that prostitution should be illegal for the buyers and not the sellers, it seems that making prostitution legal would make it much, much harder to root out and prosecute sex traffickers. So I guess I'm happy about that as well.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The Arizona and California SSM bans didn't pass by overwhelming margins. 44% and 48% of people in those two states respectively voted against the bans. 12 years ago, the Defense of Marriage Act passed overwhelmingly in the House and Senate; I think similar state votes 12 years ago would have passed by wider margins than they did today.

I think it's just a matter of time. It may take a long time, but I do think it's inevitable.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got to hang our hope on Obama and the dems. They have complete control of the federal government. Now is the time for them to prove they're the friends of equal rights and aren't simply banging their gums together to make the right noise.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I wonder if he'll try to get the federal DoMA repealed.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky: That's what I'm hoping. That'd go a very long way, actually...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I believe that he has stated in the past the he is in favor of repealing DoMA and "don't ask don't tell." That was back in '04 though. I don't know how much of a priority it'll be. I'll try to find some info.
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
"We've got to hang our hope on Obama"

I thought he was against SSM? Or are you saying he lied about that to appeal to the moderates and he will show his true colors now that he is president?

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

lobo: He's says he's against SSM but pro civil union. Basically, he's trying to have it both ways.

Unfortunately, politicians rarely GROW civil rights courage after they're elected. Instead, it frequently shrinks (ie: Bill Clinton)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and a bit torn about the California one about prostitution.
We had a what now? Was that somewhere else, because I did not see that on my ballot...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

KQ: San Francisco's measure K would have decriminalized prostitution. It failed.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Okay, that was a local measure, then, not a state one. Got it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
lobo: He's says he's against SSM but pro civil union. Basically, he's trying to have it both ways.

I like to think of it more as a compromise. Personally, I think people should be able to call the ties binding their family together anything they like, but in terms of law all such unions should really be civil unions.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Massachusetts overwhelmingly kept the state income tax, and decriminalized marijuana for small amounts, and moderately banned gambling on dog racing.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:

I like to think of it more as a compromise. Personally, I think people should be able to call the ties binding their family together anything they like, but in terms of law all such unions should really be civil unions.
I would be totally okay with that.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I'm happy for both the Massachusetts decision on pot (I also hope that there are horrible penalties for driving while under the influence.) and a bit torn about the California one about prostitution. While I think that prostitution should be illegal for the buyers and not the sellers, it seems that making prostitution legal would make it much, much harder to root out and prosecute sex traffickers. So I guess I'm happy about that as well.

The penalties for operating under the influence are unchanged. First offense is $500-$5000, up to 2.5 years in prison, or both. The pro side made that clear in the little booklet we got.

MA also voted to keep the income tax, and I believe to effectively end greyhound dog racing in the state (this was the closest question).

EDIT: Or what Paul said.

-Bok

[ November 05, 2008, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a local measure that passed...
quote:
With 75 percent of its precincts reporting, Allentown voters supported a referendum -- by 58 percent to 52 percent -- that would change the city charter and give council the power to decide what bid contract processes should be followed, unofficial results showed.

Currently, the city's charter requires a competitive bidding process for all non-professional service contracts worth more than $20,000, with the award going to the lowest responsible bidder. The same procedures apply to city purchases of materials and supplies.

In addition, all contracts and supply purchases between $4,000 and $20,000 require city employees to obtain written or telephone quotes from at least three responsible businesses.

With all the outcry against President Bush and no-bid contracts I am just stunned that this passed.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
We had a what now? Was that somewhere else, because I did not see that on my ballot...
My reaction exactly. [Wink]

Also, yippee! 1A and R both passed -- we might get decent public transportation in this state yet!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I'm surprised that the Washington question that passed a measure to allow assisted suicide for terminal patients didn't make more press! I hadn't even heard about that one until reading your link above.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I'm a little surprised too, frankly. I feel like it was overshadowed publicity-wise in Seattle by a transportation measure, which passed (my reaction mirrors rivka's [Smile] ). There were some really awful radio commercials featuring Martin Sheen though.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a local ballot measure to raise the mill levy on property taxes to pay for a new hospital. Despite the efforts of the hospital interests, it failed by nearly 20%. They can try again, probably with a smaller proposal, in the next election. It's definitely needed. The current hospital has its emergency room on the 4th floor, among other issues.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
My reaction exactly. [Wink]

Also, yippee! 1A and R both passed -- we might get decent public transportation in this state yet!

What's the timeframe on those, though? We're talking at least a decade, right?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
Wow - I'm surprised that the Washington question that passed a measure to allow assisted suicide for terminal patients didn't make more press! I hadn't even heard about that one until reading your link above.

Interesting. Thats an interesting development. One that seems to be (perhaps unfortunately) largely overshadowed by the far more contentious threads on abortion, same-sex marriage, evolution, and so forth.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

JT, for completion, yes. For the first phase of the L.A. project (which I know more details about than the statewide one), I think it's 2-3 years. And every phase will help.

But really, I don't see any way to overhaul our current transportation issues in substantially less than 10 years. Not without shutting down traffic and costing a heck of lot more than these projects.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I suppose you're right. I just don't know whether I'll be here in 10 years. I can't decide if I should waste any excitement on something I may never use.

It is badly needed, though.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I agree. And I plan to live here more than 10 years, so... [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I can't decide if I should waste any excitement on something I may never use.

Less traffic in L.A. Surely this is something everyone in any state can get behind? [Wink]

Anyway, stage one you might be here long enough to see, neh? And it's near-ish to you, IIRC.

twinky
Member # 693

Wait a minute, 58% to 52%?!?
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky...Yea I wondered about that as well. No wonder our schools' math scores are so low
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget California Proposition 2! This was one for the animal rights activists.

It states that animals must have enough room in their holding cells/containers/cages for the animal to fully extend its limbs and turn around completely. There is a $1,000 for an offense.

It passed. I know I am in probably in the minority on this issue, but in my opinion this will drive up the price of meat (At least meat that comes from California). I guess it could be a good thing however. It should create a few more government jobs in which people will carry measuring tapes around to make sure the cages are big enough.

Since animals even of the same species vary in size I really do not know how they are going to strictly enforce this without bankrupting a lot of the businesses in this industry. Although I am sure some would argue that this is exactly what certain groups HOPE happen which is why they supported Prop 2. (PETA being one)

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blindsay:
Don't forget California Proposition 2! This was one for the animal rights activists.

It states that animals must have enough room in their holding cells/containers/cages for the animal to fully extend its limbs and turn around completely.

Wonder if this applies to Dog Crates used for transport, etc.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I voted against prop 2, so naturally it passed.

This is just another attempt by the vegans to stop us from eating meat. They're using reasonable sounding means to drive up its price and put farmers out of business.

Just more meddling from people who think they have a right to legislate their morality.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
Originally posted by blindsay:

It states that animals must have enough room in their holding cells/containers/cages for the animal to fully extend its limbs and turn around completely.

Wonder if this applies to Dog Crates used for transport, etc.
It applies to egg-laying chickens, veal calves, and pregnant pigs. No mention of regular beef cows, chicken for meat, or any other animals. I believe that there are already standards for transport of animals used in business but not sure what they are. I don't see this driving up the price of beef or chicken much, since many farmers specialize. I voted for it. It may drive up the price of eggs but I already buy free-range eggs only, so I'm not too worried about that.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and exceptions are made for vets, transport, 4-H programs, county fairs, etc.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:

I voted for it. It may drive up the price of eggs but I already buy free-range eggs only, so I'm not too worried about that.

Of course, you're not worried about anyone else, just yourself.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am worried about other people; I just think that free-range is already a viable option (in fact at Trader Joe's they are about the same price as regular eggs at the grocery store) and people will still have a choice what to buy-- regular with a possible small price increase, out of state, already carried at many discount stores, will be cheaper, or free range, already available for a reasonable price. Everyone has the option already to buy non-California eggs.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

So more irrational regulation is fine.

It's ok to put the california farmers out of business.

People already have the opportunity to make an extra stop if they have a trader joes in their neighborhood.

Making people pay a LITTLE extra for eggs trucked in from out of state is fine. (And environmentally sound?)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow. I'm not going to continue this. The anger, it makes my teeth hurt.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Next time, try to remember that every law nibbles away at our freedoms. There has to be a DAMN good reason to pass *any* law.

Well, if Freedom is important to you, anyway. It's not to most people.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So you assume I don't weigh the cost of a law before I vote on it? I do. Just because I weigh things differently than you doesn't mean I don't weigh them. I have a right to make a reasoned decision on how I will vote, just as you do, and I think it's rather rude to be so vicious about people who vote for things you don't like. Not to mention less effective than trying to persuade without attacking. You catch more flies with honey, and all that.
rivka
Member # 4859

You know, Pix, I voted against 2 too. I am convinced it will drive some farms out of business, and mean more of our eggs (especially in SoCal) come from Mexico. I have also seen convincing studies that indicate that a good part of why California has relatively low salmonella rates is because we didn't have some of these requirements.

Nonetheless, your nastiness and despicable treatment of kq makes me suddenly wish I had voted for the measure. [Razz]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
quote:

Less traffic in L.A. Surely this is something everyone in any state can get behind? [Wink]

Anyway, stage one you might be here long enough to see, neh? And it's near-ish to you, IIRC.

With any luck, I'll be here long enough to see the whole thing get completed. I just can't decide if I can maintain excitement about something that's so far off.

Plus, the way LA's growing, by the time it's complete there'll be plenty of new cars to take up the spaces vacated by this project. [Smile]

Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

With any luck, I'll be here long enough to see the whole thing get completed. I just can't decide if I can maintain excitement about something that's so far off.

Plus, the way LA's growing, by the time it's complete there'll be plenty of new cars to take up the spaces vacated by this project. [Smile]

LA will grow with or without those new spaces, so we're better off with them.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

rivka: The attitude of "Well, the law doesn't inconvenience ME so I'll go ahead and vote for it" provokes hostility in me. The day it DOESN'T make me angry is the day I've lost my way.

This is just like the "*I* would be willing to do X if it means more Y" argument. Just because someone is willing to sacrifice for a cause doesn't mean everyone is or should be. And you shouldn't use the law to force them.

If we plan on holding on to what liberty we have left in this country, the default answer for any law or regulation must be "NO." Just like the default for any jury trial is "NO."

Of course, as I said before, Liberty is a very unpopular concept.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

When you define 'liberty' as 'things Pix thinks without considering any other sides of the issues', then yes, that's true.
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Next time, try to remember that every law nibbles away at our freedoms.

Lots of laws protect freedoms. Laws that codify what the police can do for example. Laws that keep others from infringing on my property. Without law, there would be very little freedom. I don't want the government in every corner of my life by any stretch of the imaginiation but a visceral hatred of all things government hardly seems the appropriate solution.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
rivka: The attitude of "Well, the law doesn't inconvenience ME so I'll go ahead and vote for it" provokes hostility in me. The day it DOESN'T make me angry is the day I've lost my way.

1) I'm pretty sure you are reading that intent into what kq said; I don't think it's there.
2) Fine, get angry. But act like you're older than a toddler, and express your anger without striking out. Disagreeing with someone, even if the disagreement makes you angry, does not give you the right to lash out like that. Grow up.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.