FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Great Good!

Author Topic: A Great Good!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama won!!!
I'm so happy and excited!
What a thrill... what a joy!

[Party]
[The Wave]
[Group Hug]

I cried during his speech last night.
So awesome.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel someone should be there to note that, while accepting that this is an historic occasion, and while I'm happy about the hundreds of awesome things that go along with that, not the least of which is my own personal joy at getting him elected and what it could mean for us as a nation, as a people, and as a world...

People should pay special attention to the parts of his speech that talk about how hard it's going to be. Democrats have a large majority in the House, and a stronger majority in the Senate, but Republican can and will wield the fillibuster to kill anything they don't like. President Obama has huge problems facing him, and despite what many think is an adoring media, the glow is going to fade fast for a lot of people and the criticism will pour in from all sides in the coming months. While it looks to us like a national mandate, it will take a man of extreme political deftness to push necessary legislation through Congress, and to actually achieve the many promises he has made.

The watchword of 2009 is going to be: Patience.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly believe that if there were FAIR bills being introduced into the senate, and that if there wasn't all of these little add ons to bills that don't need to be there, that there would not be as many fillibusters.

I honestly believe that Democrats as well as Republicans were both at fault concerning the fillibusters. The Republicans did not want to pass bills that contained extra little add ons to bills that were not necessary because they did not want to anger their voter base. The Democrats in turn put the add ons in because they KNEW the Republicans would fillibuster it. They could then go out to the public and tell everyone that they tried so hard but the evil Republicans blocked everything and that they just didn't care about the American people.

I read the transcripts every morning on what was said in the Senate the prior day. So many times I saw comments by members of Congress saying "Just remove that little add on and we will help file for Cloture." Or "Let us introduce a few ammendments and let us vote on them before cloture." And Harry Reid would reject the offers.

That is not to say Republicans were not at fault however. The entire bail out bill could not be passed unless a ton of pork was entered in to lure some of the Republicans into voting for it. This irked me to no end. Why a wooden arrow company needs millions of dollars in a bail out bill is beyond me.

Now that the election is over, I truly believe that the Democrats will be willing to work on meeting the Republicans in the middle on a lot of bills that get to the Senate, and I hope and pray that the Republicans start acting the way their base thinks they should.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
"I cried during his speech last night."

Sorry, but *gag*

Emotional support will only take him so far...people are going to fall out of love at some point.

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
With the election over, what are we going to talk about between now and January?!?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
More fluff threads? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sorry, but *gag*"

Are you gagging at colin powell, too?

Whatever else last night was, it was also america coming far enough to be able to elect a black man president. This was simply impossible 40 years ago. Today, its not. And for a large number of americans, that is a VERY significant statement by america. For a large number of americans, its a very signifcant PERSONAL statement.

As Rob Neyer wrote, "When I was little, my mom would tell me, "You can grow up to be whatever you want." Just like moms have been telling their little boys forever in this country. I suppose that black mothers too have been giving that speech to their little boys, at least for the last 30 or 40 years. Now, though, they might feel like it's true."

Belittling that just demonstrates nasty small-mindedness.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I don't know how you took it, but I don't understand how Lobo's comment makes him small minded. From your comment it seems you are implying racism, and I really don't think Lobo meant it that way.

I am one of those that think that while racism still exists in this country, it is blown way out of proportion. It is used as a tool of convenience. I have been told that since I did not vote or support Obama that I am a "racist." Does that mean that if an African American voted for Obama that they are "racist" as well against white people?

The country has come a long way and I am proud that we now have an African American President. I believe however that racism would be more scarce if it wasn't brought up so much.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Paul, I don't know how you took it, but I don't understand how Lobo's comment makes him small minded. From your comment it seems you are implying racism, and I really don't think Lobo meant it that way."

I'm not implying racism.

There are literally millions of people around this country who had the same reaction Telperion had, and we saw some of them on Tv... colin powell, jesse jackson. I don't know if Tel is black or not, and frankly I don't care. This isn't just another guy winning the presidency... its a truly historical event, that for millions signals that this REALLY IS a country where color does not prevent you from succeeding.

Treating that with disrespect is small minded. Its a failure to step outside your own shoes.

[ November 05, 2008, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Paul Goldner ]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
With the election over, what are we going to talk about between now and January?!?

Obama's cabinet.

What sort of drapes he was measuring that McCain kept talking about. Good thing he got that out of the way before the election.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Call it fluff all you want...

I'm still celebrating. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:

I'm still celebrating. [Smile]

Me, too.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, Can you start a thread about President-elect Obama's Cabinet choices? You've done the best job so far at starting the political threads that stay mostly on topic so I would like to nominate you as the one to make the Obama Cabinet thread [Smile] I'm sure you already have links to possible choices or some kind of research done. You are always pretty well prepared.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried on election night too. And it had nothing to do with Obama's race. It had everything to do with a man I respect and admire, and who I think will be a great leader for this country, getting elected as our president. A man in whom I place my hope for a government I can respect, after what I consider a devastating 8 years, and a culture in our government in general that disenfranchises a large percentage of our population. The amount of work I put into this campaign I'm sure played a large part in affecting my emotions as well. If you want to gag over that feel free.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of agree with DK, if you have the time and inclination Lyr!

in the meantime, here's Obama's official government transition website:

http://www.change.gov/

It's kind of bogged down right now, so it might take a while to load, or not come up at all. But here it is!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Looks like Noemon's "Obama White House" thread already has our bases covered on that one. [Smile]

I don't think we're going to have to wait very long for most of the important positions. In fact, before the end of November, if not the end of next week, I think Obama will have already chosen his biggest spots, especially the big four (SecState, SecTreas, SecDef, and AG). After that appointments will trickle in slowly, but this is one of those times when we're going to be sated pretty quickly. Unless you're just itching to find out who the Secretary of HUD is, you probably won't have to wait long to find out about the spots you care about.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I kind of agree with DK, if you have the time and inclination Lyr!

in the meantime, here's Obama's official government transition website:

http://www.change.gov/

It's kind of bogged down right now, so it might take a while to load, or not come up at all. But here it is!

I signed up to be Secretary of Commerce. Wish me luck!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
"I cried during his speech last night."

Sorry, but *gag*

Emotional support will only take him so far...people are going to fall out of love at some point.

If you were "sorry", you wouldn't have said it. It is rude, disrespectful and unnecessary.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.