FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foreign Service Officer's Exam Round 2 (Now With Weights and Measures) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foreign Service Officer's Exam Round 2 (Now With Weights and Measures)
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, eh!
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! How many exams do you have to take? Good luck on this latest one!
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it goes well!

Enjoy dinner out with everyone tomorrow, too!

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I gave it my absolute best shot. Out of a minimum of 5.25 to pass my average was a 5.1. For math geeks that's a deficit of 2%. I was very put out for about two hours after the exam. I really felt that a BlackBlade on another day of the week might have beaten that beast. I didn't get enough sleep the night before, I just couldn't calm myself down, I was alittle sleepy during the group exercise and I managed to force myself to wake up when my turn came up, but I was alittle too willing to give up my project, even though I was doing it so the group could actually get something done.

I rocked socks during my interview and hypotheticals, I could tell my interviewers liked me alot, in fact they said so when they broke the bad news to me. Though they don't normally say so, they encouraged me to look at my score as an indicator that I definitely could have a future in the State Department, and that I ought to try again. During the interview I as much as said that if I don't prevail this time, I'll be back again. When I did my cold run yesterday, I saw lots of State Department employees, they looked so sharp and intelligent, I know it's what I want.

During the memo I don't feel I performed very well. I was overwhelmed with the information, and I do not have alot of experience with that particular exercise, I wish I had somehow found a way to train up for it, for that I have to take responsibility.

I feel at peace about the outcome, I see it as an indicator that I definitely can make this happen, I just have to prove that I want it bad enough. I'm going to start over from the beginning again this November, and in the meantime I need to come up with a plan for what I'm going to do for the rest of the year while I wait for my next chance.

I had a fantastic time here in DC, I especially loved meeting the DC area hatrackers. Hope to see you all again next year when I visit again. I can't pretend that a part of me won't smart this entire year as I contemplate how utterly close I was to victory, but like one of my interviewers told me as they broke my score to me, "I took the written thrice, and the oral twice, before I passed, many of our best ambassadors failed the orals the first time, and they see it as a badge of courage that they kept going."

Some of those guys there clearly had other career options, some were currently working with other agencies. Me, this is my only path, and I'm walking here.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade I'm sorry it didn't happen for you this time, but you seem to have an excellent attitude and are so positive that I'm sure it will happen for you.

Keep the faith...and stay the course.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
During the memo I don't feel I performed very well. I was overwhelmed with the information, and I do not have alot of experience with that particular exercise, I wish I had somehow found a way to train up for it, for that I have to take responsibility.
What is the memo? They give you a lot of information and you have to summarize it into a more digestible form?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
BlackBlade I'm sorry it didn't happen for you this time, but you seem to have an excellent attitude and are so positive that I'm sure it will happen for you.

Amen.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. That stinks :-(.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that you're bouncing back from this with more determination.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it didn't work out for you this time around. It really is their loss, but I wish you more luck (and better prep) for the next time around.

At least you know what to expect now, right?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot guys. I really feel different about this setback than I typically do. Failing only seemed to instill in me a deeper desire to conquer this beast. I know it's within my ability, I just need to do the dance right, and more importantly prepare more efficiently.

I'm going to try to find a way to dive back into multiple newspapers, Newsweek, Time, and the New Yorker. I loved what it was doing to my mind while I was reading that much a day, no reason not to get back into it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The Economist. You want to read the Economist.

Seriously - it was the go-to-guide to get the news for every debater I've known. And it's more international in nature than the other main weekly magazines.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I can second that. I've been reading their articles on a much more consistent basis since their excellent coverage of the riots in Tibet last year and its been pretty decent.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Thanks for the suggestion Jhai, my father keeps saying that too. Maybe I'll swap out a newspaper for The Economist.

Mucus: You suggesting The Economist also adds considerable weight to my decision.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
How about just adding it. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
How about just adding it. [Wink]

lol, maybe, that's going to be a huge time commitment as is.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
we have competitions for the european public service. I've seen plenty of smart, good and efficient coworkers fail them numerous times before they passed (and I've seen some not so smart ones pass [Wink] )

good luck next time.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to start over from the beginning again this November, and in the meantime I need to come up with a plan for what I'm going to do for the rest of the year while I wait for my next chance.
You have to go back to square one which adds another year to the equation? Or am I misreading you? I'm sure you can nail it this time, now that you know what's involved. [Smile]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Sala:
quote:
I'm going to start over from the beginning again this November, and in the meantime I need to come up with a plan for what I'm going to do for the rest of the year while I wait for my next chance.
You have to go back to square one which adds another year to the equation? Or am I misreading you? I'm sure you can nail it this time, now that you know what's involved. [Smile]
You must allow 12 months to elapse between written exams. Meaning the earliest I can take the written exam is in November. Fortunately as I am no longer in school, I am not going to wait for the semester to end before taking the oral exams. Assuming I pass, I could feasibly take the oral exam in April, maybe even March.
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, it's good to hear you're taking this and looking at it positively. It seems the key is to have a similar mindset to those who have come before you.
quote:
I took the written thrice, and the oral twice, before I passed, many of our best ambassadors failed the orals the first time, and they see it as a badge of courage that they kept going.
Keep feeding that determination!
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.