FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Graveyard Book

Author Topic: The Graveyard Book
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman's newest book

Anyone read? I just finished, enjoyed muchly. It's like Coraline -- both for younger readers and adults -- but definitely has dark elements (starts off with a baby's family getting murdered...)

Basic story = orphan boy gets raised by the ghosts of a graveyard.

If you like audiobooks, the audio version is great, it's read by Neil Gaiman, and he's got a very lovely voice. And it's got Bela Fleck doing the opening music for it! (Danse Macabre, using banjo and fiddle, oooh.)

[Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it a few weeks ago and quite enjoyed it. I have a huge pileup of credits at Audible.com, maybe I'll check out the audio version just to hear it in Mr. Neil's voice...
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on your recommendation, I just bought it from Audible. It better be good.

[Razz]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I didn't realize that Bela Fleck did the intro music; very cool. My girlfriend downloaded the audiobook about a month ago, and I've been meaning to listen to it, but I keep forgetting to.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

My taste is quite excellent [Wink] , enjoy the book.

(vote plaid!)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chosha
Member # 10923

- posted      Profile for chosha           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard him read about half of Chapter 4 (Hounds of God) in Melbourne earlier this year and knew I had to get the audiobook. I love the way he does Miss Lupesku's voice!! [Smile]

The book is thoughtful and entertaining, though I'll be avoiding this thread for a couple more days while I finish it, to avoid possible spoilers.

Neil Gaiman is a legend. [Smile]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm off to buy the audio too!

I did finish reading the book last week. I've een meaning to make a post about it but forgot about it. What a great read!

I read most of it during my lunch break at work or while hanging out the dojo. Since its more like a compilation of short stories, it fit perfectly into my busy schedule.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Newbery Medal Committee agrees: plaid's taste is excellent [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.