FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another annoying appeal for computer help

Author Topic: Another annoying appeal for computer help
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I should preface this particular annoying appeal for computer help by saying: I've tried. Really I did. I've been through two different companies' tech supports now, as well as Google searches and fishing through Microsoft "help" pages, and now I'm making one last stab in the dark in the event that someone has the odd bit of knowledge that will clear a path through the gloom.

I've been trying to install Delorme's "Street Atlas USA 2009" software on my laptop as a prerequisite to using a USB GPS device that came bundled with the software.

During the installation, after plugging in the key code, installation options, registration information (natch), at a certain point during the file copying, up pops the following:

quote:
Error1330.A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file Core1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. Error 24592 was returned by WinVerifyTrust
At this point, I have rolled back my laptop to its "factory default" state, copied the installation files to hard disk from the DVD, copied the files to a portable hard drive on another computer and used that installation file on the chance that the DVD drive is what's making things screwy- no dice. I've also now successfully installed the program on a different computer, so it's probably not the software or the media itself that's the problem. Delorme has tried hard for me in good faith, even sending me another disk, but they're out of ideas, and Acer, my laptop manufacturer, just cops out by saying they don't test third party software and can't offer technical support at all.

Obviously, a GPS device isn't very useful if it can't be attached to a mobile computer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You might try downloading an image of the software through bittorrent. Not sure if that will fix anything considering a new disc didn't fix the problem, but it's a way forward.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the error suggests a corrupt file, but you've been able to use the same media on another machine, I suppose I'd try the following general troubleshooting if this were happening to me:

1. Make sure the PC isn't re-using any corrupt files from previous attempts - clear out temp files.

2. Run a defragmentation and a hard disk scan to ensure there aren't disk problems that corrupt the files at the time they are written to disk.

3. Try shutting down non-essential processes and software prior to running the installation and after doing the above.

4. Try running the installation from the center of a pentagram while burning dried frog tongues over rosewood.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ask Delorme if they have a (program) extraction kit.
If they do, use it. Then try the reinstall.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Since the error suggests a corrupt file, but you've been able to use the same media on another machine, I suppose I'd try the following general troubleshooting if this were happening to me:

1. Make sure the PC isn't re-using any corrupt files from previous attempts - clear out temp files.

A good thought, and I tried it. (Was one of the things suggested by the various groups that came up through Google searches.) Sadly, no dice.

quote:
2. Run a defragmentation and a hard disk scan to ensure there aren't disk problems that corrupt the files at the time they are written to disk.
Returning the laptop to its factory default state amounts to a complete wipe-and-reinstall; there certainly shouldn't be any fragmentation problems. It probably wouldn't hurt to run a disk check, though; I hate the thought that it's some tiny string of bad clusters on the hard disk causing all this nonsense. I'll give it a look.

quote:
3. Try shutting down non-essential processes and software prior to running the installation and after doing the above.
I tried turning off just about everything with a selective start-up, as well as creating a new user specifically for the install; no dice. Safe Mode, oddly enough, says I don't have admin permission for the install.

quote:
4. Try running the installation from the center of a pentagram while burning dried frog tongues over rosewood.
That violates the EULA. [Wink]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Ask Delorme if they have a (program) extraction kit.
If they do, use it. Then try the reinstall.

Presuming that there's some remaining errant link in the registry or some such? Again, good thought- but I would think the factory reset would have cleared that.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:4. Try running the installation from the center of a pentagram while burning dried frog tongues over rosewood.

That violates the EULA. [Wink]

Well, did they disclose the anti-occult license restrictions before you opened the software, rendering it unreturnable? If not, then I think you'll have a solid case if it goes to court. And on a more practical note, the industry tends only to go after people who use the dark arts to distribute the software to large numbers of undead.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you running with Windows Vista? It has a bunch of bizarre "Digital Signing" and rights problems.

I believe that you can turn them off, and that should solve your problems.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

XP. Though I do believe the software wants to install a new version of the "Windows Installer" infrastructure, which may be part of the problem. Still, I don't understand why it should be working on one computer with XP and not another.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.