FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How Old is Bean?

Author Topic: How Old is Bean?
wontstoptalking
Member # 11832

- posted      Profile for wontstoptalking           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I'm enjoying all the Bean books.

I was wondering how old Bean is in each of the books, specifically Shadow Puppets, since in Shadow Puppets I have not seen it mentioned once.

At some points in Shadow Puppets, it seems he might be about 13, in other parts he might even be 17. It's really hard to tell. Maybe someone can figure it out? I don't have any other of the books with me to reference, and so I can't find out since it's not in Shadow Puppets.

Thanks for any help I might get!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Bean's actual age is ever given, just guesses, cause there is no record of his birth.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
He says he's 4 in the beginning of Shadow, and that he was younger than Ender when he joined Battle School. However, it jumps ahead in time once or twice without really telling you how long it had been, and it doesn't tell you how old Ender actually is when Bean arrives, so it's hard to calculate.

You could probably calculate the age with a thorough reading of both if you're really that worried about it, but then you have to deal with the time jump post-war too, and during the rest of the Shadow Series.

If I had to guess, I would put him at 16~17 by the end of "Shadow of the Giant".

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean is officially (1/Pi)*~7.27/X of the age of Mr. Bean, where X is a derivative of the sine of the circumference of Beans hat size to a factor of the the average number horse power in Mr. Bean's car.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean's age can't be calculated, even by himself. There is no birthdate. From what I remember there are only guesses in the books. Does his age really matter though? All of them are far beyond their actual age.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro's Constant: As the length of an Orson Scott Card book series grows, the likelihood that the personal history, race, or age of a given character reaches totally irreconcilable contradiction approaches unity.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Or a reboot for that matter.

Probably works for book series, comic book series, TV shows, even religions.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that age is all that relavant for Bean, you could only calculate his age in Bean years.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Human years don't apply to super-people like Bean.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

An age really doesn't apply to any of the children in these books. They all think way beyond their actual ages. Which is scary....I hope this never becomes a reality. I mean, if we ever were attacked like that, this would be possible. And our goverment is definitely that manipulative.....especially when it comes to training soldiers.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.