FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why does Stargate Command use P90's?

Author Topic: Why does Stargate Command use P90's?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't P90 a personal defence weapon for vehical crews? Why does it seem to be used for nearly every engagement?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
3 pages of discussion on that very question.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine... um... budgetary reasons?

It's easier to just use one kind of model gun, and then use that same set over and over, then getting a whole bunch of different kinds, which would cost more money, and which only a few die hards would even begin to notice?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead link for me rivka.

But they actually do use different kinds of weapons frequently on the show. The P90 looks like their main weapon of choice, but whenever they plan anything other than a random off world mission, like an actual assault, they bring a wide variety of firepower, and the air force guards tend to have M-16s.

As for why the P90, I'd say because it's smaller, has an extremely high rate of fire, and mows down Goauld like the belly turret of the Falcon mows down stormtroopers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Link works for me.

Also, they may have chosen that gun because it looks nice, or they got a whole bunch at a prop sale for cheap.

I try not to over-think these things...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The link was fine for me, too. They mostly seemed to be arguing that the M16 is better because of its longer range. But do the staff weapons they fight against have a long range?

Sure, Teal'c can take down hitaks with his, but the rest of the Jaffa seem to prefer short range engagements. And in the woods with low visibility, longer range wouldn't seem to be a plus.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax...

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Hollywood people tend to not be too accurate when it comes to guns, the reasons are most likely cosmetic.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
Since Hollywood people tend to not be too accurate when it comes to guns, the reasons are most likely cosmetic.

Actually, the choice was discussed in the extras of at least one DVD. The P-90s jam less, they reload faster, and they are lighter than guns with similar firepower. The choice was made in consultation with whoever their Air Force consultant was at the time (it was different people different seasons).

And they have occasionally used other models as the situation demanded, as Lyrhawn noted.

Also, Hollywood nothing. Canada!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
They actually have an episode too where they're showing off the P90s trying to convince Rebel Jaffa to use them over the staff weapons. They gave a whole bunch of reasons for why they used P90s and why they were better than staff weapons. Don't have time to go find the episode right now, it was season 6 or 7 I think.

Edit: Found it, Stargate SG1 5.18 "The Warrior"

[ November 14, 2008, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah I remember that episode.

The link works for me now by the way, that's weird.

Do you remember off hand which DVD had those extras rivka? I'm curious now to see it. It makes perfect sense that the Air Force would have suggested that to them, since they work so closely with the Air Force (which is weird enough as it is) and try to aim for accuracy whenever they can.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
But a problem I hear though is that the P90's armoured piercing bullets are terrible and would be next to useless against the Jaffa.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have ten seasons of 5 DVDs apiece. No, I do not happen to recall in which of those 50 discs an offhand comment about either the P90s pr the AF consultant segued into that conversation I mentioned.

Anyway, half my discs are loaned out, so I can't even check most of the likely contenders (I expect it was one of the later seasons).

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hey, it was worth a try. For all I know you might have some freakish trick memory. [Wink]

But either way, I'll check the later seasons next time I go through them, so thanks. I tend to skip over the extras and then sometimes I slowly watch them over time.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
The P90 is my Sub-machine gun of choice when I play Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

I don't know if that reflects any real world attributes of the P90, but I like it.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
p90 has a round designed for piercing armor. It also has a longer barrel length (263mm)than the standard mp5 (225mm) because of its bullpup design.

The weapon has an above average rate of fire (900 rds per sec vs the m4's 700 and the mp5's 800), quite compact for cqb situations, and with a 50 round magazine capacity you have a formidable weapon for a force that needs firepower in a mobile situation.

I personally liked that they switched to the p90, however it seems like they would have switched to the FN Five-seven as a sidearm at the same time as it shares the same round.

Edit: Post 20 on the SG1 forum posted earlier has some very interesting ballistics information on the p90 round. The last information I had heard about it was more optimistic about its armor piercing capacity.

[ November 15, 2008, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: calaban ]

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by calaban:
Edit: Post 20 on the SG1 forum posted earlier has some very interesting ballistics information on the p90 round. The last information I had heard about it was more optimistic about its armor piercing capacity.

Real world performance has not backed up FNH's marketing department, or the Brady groups hysteria.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The weapon has an above average rate of fire (900 rds per sec vs the m4's 700 and the mp5's 800), quite compact for cqb situations, and with a 50 round magazine capacity you have a formidable weapon for a force that needs firepower in a mobile situation.
The magazine discharges in .056 seconds?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.