FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serious Help Needed - mayfly

Author Topic: Serious Help Needed - mayfly
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
There was this great game Baldur's Gate II from like 8 years ago. Now after various parts of the game a narrator would say some sort of script like: "you left the building with more..." They happened at the end of chapters in the game.

It's *very* important that I find the text for those statements, or better yet the audio. I will give out ten internet cookies to anyone who helps me!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get a copy of the disc, you can run a command called 'strings' on the files on it that should get you all the relevant text.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
I used some google-fu, and I failed. fugu's method seems to be the only way. You can also get it for pretty cheap on ebay (around 20 bucks.)
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Baldur's Gate multi mega pack. I'll have alook for you. I hope it's not oo urgent a I'm a bit busy herding 3 yr olds today, but tomorrow (Sunday) I should have time free.

fugu13 - could you expand a it on the strings command - is it like a string specific search? Is it a generic Win cmd, do I need new tools, or do I need to fire up the Linux box??

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

strings is a standard *nix command; given a binary, it extracts the bits that look like character strings.

Of course, the bits with that text might not be in the binaries, but might be in some sort of configuration or scripts outside the binaries. You'll have to investigate what's on the CD or in an install directory (the stuff on the CD is almost certainly compressed, so an installed game would be preferable).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
okis thanks - I'll have a go.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

no luck on the files on the CD - I'll install the game and have a look. Doesn't look promiing tho. Sorry.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's audio (what he says) we have, in the past, just put a game CD into a regular audio CD player and it will play all the music and narrations from the disk. (guess it depends on how they are stored on the game disk)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, if that bit is never printed to the screen, strings is a no go. Try FG's approach. If that doesn't work, dig through the install directory for sound files.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

Hi Phanto - no joy I'm afraid.

I did get find afile full of dialogue which I can email to you so that you can trawl trough it. Other than that and a set of unplayable .wav files, I could find nothing else.

Good luck with the onward search.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.