FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone else heard of this (LoTR, sort of...)

Author Topic: Anyone else heard of this (LoTR, sort of...)
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read this in this morning's paper. The story makes an effort to say it's more than just a fanflic.
Here's the newspaper story link:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/movies/news/article.cfm?c_id=200&objectid=10543119

Here's the link to the website and trailer:
http://www.bornofhope.com/Videos.html#Born%20of%20Hope%20Trailer

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems a bit of a strange story to undertake, given the richness of Tolkien's world, and all the other stories within that world that could be told. I wonder if there are other copyright rules that "non-profit" doesn't cover. Of course, I guess budget constraints would affect that as well.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
oooo interesting.

I'm still waiting on whether or not the Dwarves finally retake Moria.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
They do. Under Durin VII. I don't know if they actually lived there or not, but they went back in the Fourth Age.

I have no interest in seeing this. It's Fanfic, I don't care what they call it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Yeah, Lyrhawn, probably not worth taking too seriously, but it would be fun to see what they do anyway. Wasn't the offical movie/s fanfic with a big budget [Smile]
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
No. It was 99% of Tolkien's work, even though some parts were edited out for time constraints. Other than the fact that Gilraen and Arathorn are real characters named by Tolkien, everything in this movie will be made up by someone other than JRR Tolkien.

Say what you want about Jackson's LOTR, but Jackson didn't pull the whole thing out of thin air; he researched and pulled the material from the books and source material written by Tolkien himself. My complaints about LOTR mostly have to do with the fact that he should have taken even more from the books, and from an objective viewpoint, I recognize that he took a tremendous amount from it.

But this literally is fan fiction. It's fans of his work just making stuff up about what happened because Tolkien left pretty much zero material on what actually happened in the story they'll be dealing with. I might not have liked it anyway, but at least if they had dealth with material that had actually been written by Tolkien, I would have watched it.

I agree with Sean. Given how many fully fleshed out stories there are in the Tolkien world that haven't been touched, and are unlikely to be touched for some time, it's pretty goofy to take something obscure and make up whatever you want about it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Yeah, I have to say that was my first reaction, why choose something totally obscure, maybe copyright reasons...
I've been going on for ages (at least 2 separate times on this forum) that there's so much richness in the appendices waiting... You and I have had a couple of discussions in the past on the matter, Lyrhawn. My comment about the movies was just for fun anyway. Jackson is such a big fan after all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.