FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your unique hobby. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your unique hobby.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a thread for you to tell about something you do that you find particularly unique. Lots of people watch The Office, play solitaire when they're bored, read Harry Potter. Who out there has flown an airplane? Goes spelunking? Plays mandolin? I'm curious.

I sing barbershop music--in quartets and choruses. There's nothing quite as fun as ringing some really rich harmonies with a few other guys. There's also a large, bizarre subculture of guys who are obsessed with barbershop music. For anyone who's curious, here's one of my favorite quartets, FRED. Annnd these guys too.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I read threads on Hatrack... I don't know anyone else who does this, so I consider it to be fairly unique...

Oh wait, never mind, I know you. I have no unique hobbies, unless you consider "sticking it to the man" to be unconventional.

And by the way, you didn't listen to my latest piece even though I posted it on facebook. :glare: From my sole fan, I expect more.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear... [Smile] Which one--the reckoner remix? (I'm listening to that one now--pretty sweet).

Whatever, Lloyd, musicology is a weird hobby--being an early music enthusiast and an electronic composer--both pretty unique.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I research equine color genetics'

I spin yarn on an ancient stick thing instead of a spinning wheel

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
When I am at a supermarket I make stick men out of the twisty ties for fruit bags and leave them in random places in the store.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the store clerks love you Elmer's

I tend to research random subjects - and go to Yahoo Answers to argue with people on the Adoption section.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I photograph trains.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I research equine color genetics'
YES. I spent about two years completely engrossed in the genetics of gerbils, breeding them to create different colors. So. Much. Fun. I imagine that would take a lot longer with horses, though.

Hmmm, my unusual hobby...I guess that it would have to be collecting paint chips. Yeah, I have a box with every Behr and Frazee paint chip. I'm starting on a few lesser known brands.

Actually, it's the most embarrassing thing ever. I grab about ten every time I go to Home Depot. I've considered just going down the aisle and taking one of each, but that might look weird to people. Wouldn't want to give them that impression.
<_<
>_>
Reading this now is making me feel like a nutcase. Maybe I need a new, slightly less OCD hobby.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I read, and occasionally still play the flute.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy woodworking and play the banjo.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I collect old "Peanuts" books.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I do karate. I'm the state champ in girls white belt sparring, though to be fair, there were only two other girls in my division.

I used to collect rubber duckies.

I've started teaching myself Japanese. So far I kind of know my numbers, a few conversation points, and some random vocab.

Between two jobs and school, I don't have much time for anything else.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
You know those little dots/gouges/whatevers in ceiling tiles? I count them.
The one above my pillow has between 6,500 and 9,000 thingies. Every time I count, I get different results.

I find it incredibly relaxing, if not, perhaps, the best possible use of my time.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played mandolin but I haven't practiced in years (kids...) [Frown]

I do love to "collect" murder ballads (and other folk songs, but those are my favorites.) As in, learn them and sing them.

I'm also interested in folk hymnology.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I love tracing the genealogy of the royal families of Europe. I tried branching out into the Middle East and Asia, but their info isn't nearly as available online.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I collect Pez dispensers. I have hundreds and hundreds -- I've lost count -- all of them different.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I collect annual reports.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I buy nursery plants and cultivate them into bonsai trees.

I invent, design and print board games and submit them to publishers. Out of the Box (publishers of Apples to Apples) was interested enough to have requested a couple of my prototypes for testing, though none of them were published.

I play the trombone.

I sing, and I especially love to sing in barbershop quartets, too.

I own a Sphynx cat (hairless cat, like Mr. Bigglesworth on Austin Powers), and my wife and I have plans to start breeding them within the next couple years.

I write and finish a novel about once every 10 years. In between that time, I only start them [Smile]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I regularly have conversations with myself, it's like predicting what people will say. Although I'm usually wrong it's still fun!

The conversations usually end with me telling myself to stop talking to myself...

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Oh dear... [Smile] Which one--the reckoner remix? (I'm listening to that one now--pretty sweet).

Whatever, Lloyd, musicology is a weird hobby--being an early music enthusiast and an electronic composer--both pretty unique.

Tell that the VDGSA! Of which I am a member...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a documentary nut. I've been watching them since I was 5. I laughed out loud when Geico first ran their David Attenborough spoof. If I had more money I'd buy as many documentaries as possible. I avoid the religious themed documentaries on the History channel like the plague, they are painful to watch.

As a bonus I do much better playing armchair Jeopardy than I ever could otherwise. I also saved the day when my niece called me on the phone and needed 5 dinosaurs identified that neither her teacher or parents could figure out. Dinosaurs are what started this hobby, I am so pleased my niece has also discovered them.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I design and make jewelry. I Irish step dance. I'm on the board of the planning committee for an annual conference on usability of information technology in academic settings. I am trying to take up hang-gliding and playing the fiddle (most likely not at the same time).
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are much more interesting than I am. I have only regular hobbies.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I realized last night that my hobbies I think are very normal, that I left off of here are pretty darn unique.

I collect and show plastic and porcelain horses, oftentimes creating tack for them to wear from leather, fabric, and wire
I weave scarves, fabric, and art pieces on a loom
I design knitting patterns
I write lesson plans in my sleep

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I make big model rocket and fly them - really really big model rockets. I recently launched a 40 pound, 7 1/2 foot tall rocket to an altitude of 1.25 miles above ground level.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

Nonsense. Something about your regular hobbies sets you apart--you're just not trying hard enough.

Marlo--are you a member of Spebsqsa? I sang at the international convention this year.

I'm really enjoying this thread.

Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I regularly have conversations with myself, it's like predicting what people will say. Although I'm usually wrong it's still fun!
Holy crap, I do that too! Good to know I'm not the only one.

I am learning contact juggling. (note: this youtube clip isn't me, unfortunately, but one day I hope to be that good.)

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Shut up. You are a professional musician.

I have no interesting hobbies.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to cross stitch and occassionaly sew-which is hard cause the baby attacks the sewing machine if it is out so I can't leave anything out ever.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Well, if he's a professional musician, then music isn't a hobby. So maybe he's right.

On a related note, one of my unique hobbies is finding perfectly reasonable statements made by others and nit-picking them to death with needless semantic arguments. My work here is done.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I draw biologically correct violets of the several hundred known species worldwide.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Well, if he's a professional musician, then music isn't a hobby. So maybe he's right.

And circle gets the square. I have a fascinating and unique life, but terribly mundane hobbies.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I sound like Napolean Dynamite and sing pokemon openings aloud to annoy my friends.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot my other hobby. Child passenger safety. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play chess, as launchwiggin can attest to. Nowadays I play ping-pong as well, and seem to be a devoted student of philosophy. At the moment, I'm working on an article on legal obligation. Given that it's almost ready for submission to a journal, I'm thinking about what to do for my next topic. I'm getting kind of sick of philosophy of law, and will be doing a presentation on the crito for a seminar next semester anyway, so I'm thinking of going a completely different direction and doing some research into stem cell research to see if anything glaring catches my eye. Unfortunately there are no professors at my university who have anything to do at all with philosophy of biology or bioethics, but so I'll have to do it without any aid.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I do some pretty complicated origami. Sometimes I do large pieces of origami out of newspaper.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Claudia Therese, do you HAVE to keep providing me more reasons to be smitten with you?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I make sure to take and e-develop at least one picture every day. I have a collection of 'picture for the day' pictures, each in a publishable form, stretching back to 2003.

I collect gospel music. Most of it's on vinyl.

I am completing a project to eat out in every restauraunt in boulder at least three times and review each one. I'm going to collaborate this on an interactive map.

I practice pickpocketing and legerdemain. I can pick simple locks. I can use a slim jim and hotwire old cars.

I hoard Pandora channels.

I am the go-to guy for zombie survival strategy and I keep myself current on that sensitive very serious high quality issue.

I collect Shepard Fairey prints.

I draw people's threads in MSpaint.

I help people fine-tune custom PS mods.

I retype Tom Robbins books out on an old typewriter, over and over, trying to get a feel for the way he used words. Then I write and re-write short novels a million times and then bury or erase them without showing anyone.

I make ringtones and then hack them onto people's phones for free.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

I am the go-to guy for zombie survival strategy and I keep myself current on that sensitive very serious high quality issue.

That sounds like a challenge to me! On that note with a couple friends we pick random locations and go through a plan of how to protect it best from zombies( we argueing about ice rinks, If the power goes out do they turn into pools of water?)

I collect plastic gift cards, some store clerks say i steal them when they have no money on them, but no one has really gotten angry yet. I have a alot of different types now, but i'm waiting to visit a big mall again to add to my collection.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I practice pickpocketing

*crosses Samp off her "Hatrackers I Want to Meet In Person" list*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Airsoft

I'm the fat guy with the tan sig552.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I have an airsoft gun and no one to play with.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

quote:
I practice pickpocketing

Teach me, please?
I've locked myself out of my door countless times. This would save money on lock-out keys..

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Pickpocketing, not lock-picking.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
quote:
I practice pickpocketing

Teach me, please?
I've locked myself out of my door countless times. This would save money on lock-out keys..

That's lock picking, not pickpocketing.

Pickpocketing is stealing people's wallets and other valuables from their pockets and purses.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I send back any junk mail that has postage prepaid.
Although it's more sticking it to the man than hobby.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Whoa, I totally knew that. I must need sleep.
Well, that could be useful too. In the even that Roommate has a key and I need to get in. [Big Grin]

By the way-- I can now successfully pick a locker type lock.

TH
Member # 11441

- posted      Profile for TH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hoard Pandora channels.

Gotta love Pandora! [Big Grin]
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I create board games and write articles on ancient history and write SF short stories.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
*sigh*

I have an airsoft gun and no one to play with.

Hey me too, I bought an MP5 Navy back in 1999, I haven't had a chance to play with it since then.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.