FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Emily the Strange, RIP

Author Topic: Emily the Strange, RIP
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out Emily the Strange was totally plagiarized.

Link.

That's too bad. I liked her.

(Oh, language advisory for the comments beneath the article.)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no indication, given the blogger's information, that the use of the character is not already licensed. The two parties may have come to a quiet agreement 17 years ago, for all we know. Leave it to the bloggers to jump to conclusions- I'll wait until I hear from someone reliable before casting judgment.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There is some evidence: not listing the author at all when listing influential authors.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not at all clear that there's any legal remedy for any wrong that may or may not have occurred here. Beyond the threshold question of whether any type of violation existed under either trademark or copyright, there's also the question of laches and statute of limitations (the first Emily picture is clearly outside the statute).

As to trademark, it's not clear the original character is a trademark at all.

As to copyright, the question is whether the first appearance of Emily is a copy or derivate work of the original. Each subsequent Emily work would have to be examined as well to determine if it is a copy or derivative of a particular piece of expression, not just the idea of a strange girl with long hair and cats. All of this is highly fact dependent. None of the blog post or comments really analyze the question.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.