FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fox to remake 'Romancing the Stone'

Author Topic: Fox to remake 'Romancing the Stone'
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks Fox should leave well enough alone.

Next on the agenda: Pre-ruining the upcoming "Young X-Men" franchise, butcher another classic YA fantasy, then call it a day!

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you upset because you think they are going to mess up a good movie or because the original was so bad you don't want to see it again?
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps because Hollywood execs. are such trolls they aren't willing to risk doing something that might be novel, interesting and really good.

If I want to see Romancing the Stone again, I can rent the video. There are hundreds of writers out there with new scripts and new ideas. Let us have some new stories rather than just rehashing old one.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, for that mater, how about excavating some of the old movies that were forgettable due to poor acting or direction or just poor timing and redo them?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Manos: The Hands of Fate is simply -screaming- for a big budget, glitzy remake.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a perfect example of why Hollywood is not doing very well right now
Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
But Michael Douglas isn't dead yet?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, they really need to stop Lucasizing my childhood....
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
But Michael Douglas isn't dead yet?

Nor Turner. Nor DeVito. But they're trying to kill 'em.

Here's an idea, guys: gather up the twenty best scripts you can find from all those waiters, taxi drivers, parking enforcement officers, and bellhops who have written screenplays. Give them to teams of graduates from UCLA's film school with five million dollars or so each. Turn them loose. The results could hardly be worse than doing another remake.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it could be worse...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It is worse. Madonna is the person pushing for a Casablanca remake, with herself cast in the Ilsa role.

(Also, it won't be set -in- Casablanca. Which begs the question: Why not just make a completely new movie?)

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, for that matter, allow Madonna to be a middle aged woman? I mean, she's 50 right? So how about a little dignity, and some nice dignified 50 year old roles that women actors are always saying don't exist. Madonna could probably make that happen. But no, she's gonna want to remake Casablanca, of course.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick - Madonna in Casablanca? Why do celebs thing so highly of themselves that they think we want them to ruin classic movies? ugh.

And remaking Romancing the Stone? Thats just silly. Its a classic 80s movie that should remain in the 80s for crying out loud.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see that Romancing the Stone is of a stature that it's offensive to remake it. I think it signals desperation on Fox's part, though. I did think it was the best movie ever, when I was 14.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

It's not [of such a stature]. It's a perfectly fine adventure movie, and I sure enjoyed it when I saw it. But it definitely begs the question: aren't there any original perfectly fine adventure movies waiting to get made?

[ December 07, 2008, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure they'll change it, just like they did Ocean's 11 and the Italian Job. And if you haven't seen the originals of these, you really owe it to yourself. Though I'll really feel foolish if it turns out they were remakes of silent black and white films.

That's the thing, Ben Hur with Charlton Heston was a remake. We were talking about it the other day, how a bunch of people died making the original original.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

True, but the original Ben Hur was a silent picture. A remake definitely gives the audience reason to ask and even demand that the remakers bring something new and better to the table. Obviously making a "talkie" is significantly different than a silent movie; what might be brought to a new "Romancing The Stone" is less clear. Particularly in light of the original having a rather good cast, one can't help but fear that the likely result of a new "Stone" is blander casting and a lot of heavily CGI-assisted stuntwork.

And there's just the question of whether 24 years is enough time past to justify a remake.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.