FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HP Magic Giveaway (Hewlett Packard, not Harry Potter)

Author Topic: HP Magic Giveaway (Hewlett Packard, not Harry Potter)
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Contest information and personal appeal ahead:

I'm trying to win a computer package from the HP Magic Giveaway. They have given a $6,000 computer hardware/software package to 50 bloggers. Each blogger gets to try out the items, then each is running his or her own contest to give away the package. Some of the contests have ended already.

I've got the schedule on my blog.

I'm asking for help to win one of these contests. The requirements for entry involve writing something that people will then comment on. The entry with the most comments wins (but insipid, short, pointless comments will be deleted). My entry is Tips for Safe Winter Driving. So far I've gotten one comment.

So, I'm letting you know about the contest in case anyone wants to leave a comment and help me win. If you don't want to, that's fine too. I'll still like coming here and won't take it personally. And if anyone wants to enter, the Geeks! contest runs through 10 p.m. Central Time on Dec. 10. Please post a link to your entry so we can comment on it.

I'm entering as many of the contests as I can. If you win one, you can't win another, but I'm trying to maximize my chances. I really, really need a new computer. I'm using the computer of a relative that I offered a temporary home to when this relative was evicted, but I need my own for schoolwork. I'm not comfortable telling this person "I need to get on the computer now" when the computer doesn't belong to me. And I'm way behind in my school projects, with finals coming up.

I'm also planning to share the package by keeping one laptop and giving the other computers to people in my family (my mom and two nieces - one's in college and the other is planning to re-enroll). Mom's using my old computer that runs on Win98 and she told me last night she hasn't been able to get it turned on since Dec. 3. She would get the TouchSmart, which should be plenty big enough for her to see everything (she's 70 and has vision problems).

One more thing: if Hatrack people label my post spam, then I'll take it down (or edit it to remove the personal appeal but leave the contest info for others to enter). I really hesitated to post this, but I'm running out of options. I don't have a huge following on Facebook, Twitter or my blog.

So, how about it, Hatrack?

[ December 08, 2008, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Commented. [Smile] I don't think it's spam, people post "help me out by clicking" threads all the time. Good luck!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I commented.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
As did I. And I agree with ElJay -- definitely not spam.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I commented. Good luck.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sooooo, there doesn't seem to be anything in the rules that multiple comments from the same person don't count.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Just sayin'.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I'm guessing that multiple comments on my entry might be construed as spam for the purposes of the contest.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if I win (up to 12 comments, but one is my reply to a comment, so shouldn't count). Also, if anyone else enters, please list it here.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I commented. I thought it was a nice essay.

May we all become old geeks.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

thanks Tante
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked your tips. Hope you don't mind that I added some of my own on my pet (relevant) subject. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
commented
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be okay if I link to your post on my blog? These are actually really good tips I'd like to share. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I commented, and also thumbed the list up on StumbleUpon.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Commented, rated, subbed.

Oh wait, this isn't Youtube.

Carry on then.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was something to do with Harry Potter.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

ketchupqueen: you should write one on car seats!

Also, anyone who wants to link to it is welcome to. I should sit down and modify it for later use. I had written most of it some time ago on my own blog and updated it for the purposes of the contest.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I linked your article in a blog post. [Smile]

I don't think I'll write on car seats; I don't know that I could keep it short enough ( [Wink] ) and there are too many other people far more qualified. [Smile]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Commented [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I think that as long as multiple comments all had something new and substaintial to say, such as responding to other comments or remembering additional tips, they shouldn't look like spam.
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I left a comment for you! Good luck!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Good point ElJay.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HP Magic Giveaway (Hewlett Packard, not Harry Potter)
Given the font that HP has been using on their website recently. It's an easy mistake to make.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I got 29 comments, not enough to win. But I'm entering other blog contests, so maybe there's still a chance. Thanks to those who commented on my entry.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness: you can get a new computer for $300-$400 in the current climate. Given the amount of effort you put into this contest, is there nothing you could have done that would have earned you $300 in the same timeframe?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Tom: I don't know what I could do to earn that kind of money outside of work (which doesn't pay well). That's about a week's wages for me. Plus, it's not just one computer - it's 4 computers plus extra stuff. My mom's using an old HP Pavilion that runs on Win98 and breaks down (refuses to boot up) frequently. And my nieces would get two of the computers, as well.

So, yeah, I'll continue to try to win one of the packages until the contest is over. I didn't try as hard as I could have on the Geeks! contest - I found an old blog post I did some time ago and rewrote it. Judging by the comments with more suggestions, I really should have put more time in it.

So what could I do to earn $300 in a short time frame? Christmas is approaching. ;-)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.