FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, my prof's not a tekkie.

Author Topic: So, my prof's not a tekkie.
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently going to school online. I had two papers that I had to post last week, and today the prof's messaging me saying that he can view my documents but not print them out. Ummm....and what do you want me to do about it? Oh, he wants me to call tech support. Just as I suspected, the tech rep tells me, if he can see the doc but not print it he's the one who needs to call in. Duh.

So, I've posted him a nice message saying I changed the font just in case (even though its the same font I used on my papers from the week before that he didn't have a problem printing) and that tech says if he can view the document but not print the problem is probably with the printer setup not the file.

I didn't really need to spend 20 minutes of my day on the phone with tech support to tell him that you understand, but this way I have a reference number proving I called like he wanted me to. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they teaching online?

That's like a blind person teaching at a driving school.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I don't really understand why he needs to print out my paper to grade it, but you know, I'm not the prof.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the subject as "...trekkie," and was ready to post my heartfelt sympathies.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
My High School Algebra 2 teacher had an Erector set USS Enterprise on his bookshelf.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I read trekkie as well.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Hey, I was really well behaved about this you know. I mean, when I saw the message telling me to contact support my first instinct was to totally be like "what for, you are the one having the problem?" But I didn't. After all, I only have to get through this week, and next week, and then this class is over, and my next class in January is Math, so no papers.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I read trekkie too.

My professors are pretty tolerant of technological problems, up until the point where the computer replaces the dog in responsibility for eating homework.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Oh yeah, and here's another annoyance. One of those papers was turned in last Friday night. Why are you only discovering that you can't print it today?
andi330
Member # 8572

I think it has to do with his browser. The classroom wasn't working correctly today when the professor was trying to print my paper. Since he said he could view it, I'm assuming he didn't actually download the paper and save it to his hard drive. That being the case, maybe the browser was sending bad info to his printer while the classroom was messed up. But still, why are you telling me to call support. It's not working on your end, shouldn't you call support, and then if they tell you they need to speak to me, tell me to call in? Why are you assuming it's my issue.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

He's a Professor, of COURSE it's not his problem.
andi330
Member # 8572

It is now. I have the reference number to prove it.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily. He can always tell you that since he can't print it out you need to bring in a hard copy. And you'll have to. He's the professor, you're the student - there is a significant power differential.

As to why he's printing them out - I hate editing online and suspect I'll feel the same way about grading.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I always tell students they can email me lab reports or anything other written up, and the time its in my inbox is when it was turned in, but it will not be graded until I get a hard copy. *shrugs* maybe thats evil, but I really can't stand grading without putting marks on a paper.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
As to why he's printing them out - I hate editing online and suspect I'll feel the same way about grading.

Yeah I know; I could never get a good photocopy of my monitor where you can actually see the red pen markings...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of reasons why hardcopies are preferred. With emailed papers, you run the risk of the artifact being graded not appearing "genuine" - could someone not claim that the professor changed the wording of the paper because he/she didn't like the student? How do you prove it was done? How do you prove it wasn't?

For a project I did, I had to interview several professors about online classes, and got their feedback. They said they were often subject to a barrage of re-submits, students claiming "Oh, I sent you the wrong one...this is the one that has my corrections...ignore the first one and grade this one" They felt that it opened up a whole can of worms as to the authenticity of the piece actually meant to be graded. One had a student file a complaint with the dean's office that the professor had "graded the wrong paper" that he had actually submitted one that was corrected but the professor insisted on grading the older one.

Some of the educational software like Blackboard and WebCT (which I think are now all owned by the same company) are better because they have a submit function, and only one copy can be submitted and it is automatically time stamped when submitted. I think you can even set it to not accept late assignments. But, you still run into students who call you and ask you to delete their assignment so they can re-submit. The submission of work online leads some people to believe it's not "final" it's still in progress and they can contine to tweak it.

And, you do run into compatibility issues and profs not able to read your paper or the formatting getting screwed up...it can be a problem. If I taught a completely online class I'd find a way to make it work, of course. But, unless school policy demands I do otherwise, when I begin teaching I will not accept emailed papers.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, WebCT. The memories.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you can even set it to not accept late assignments.

You definitely can with Blackboard. I get whining students complaining about it all the time. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I work with Blackboard from the admin end, and I just have to say that Blackboard is an absolutely rotten piece of software. The programmers who wrote it had to have had the collective IQ of a Rhesus Monkey! It's admin back end SUCKS. It regularly chokes in things it should be able to easily handle. There are very few features that allow for easy management of courses or users. And automating it's a pain in the arse because every thing is so bloody obscured and clumsy.

I'm also a student who has to use blackboard and in that capacity I despise the way it tracks every users every second of use. Teachers using Blackboard can litterly see every little thing their students do on Blackboard and how long they spend doing it. I do not approve of the big brother nature of this. I'm sorry, but I don't want the teacher to know if I only spent five minutes perusing the resources the teacher placed their. If I don't find them helpful that's my business and I'll have the teacher grade any consequences of that five minutes, rather than the five minutes itself thank-you-very-much! And if it has no consequences then clearly there's nothing wrong with me ignoring those resources, they weren't helpful anyway!

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Which version of Blackboard, Alcon?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Not necessarily. He can always tell you that since he can't print it out you need to bring in a hard copy. And you'll have to. He's the professor, you're the student - there is a significant power differential.

Maybe he would if this were regular on campus college, but its online school. I never appear on campus ever. So he'd have a hard time making me bring him a hard copy.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter, Rivka. We're on the latest version of Blackboard and it does indeed suck all kinds of eggs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I haven't used it much (I'm neither an instructor nor a student), but it seems like I get fewer complaints since we upgraded.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* It's more stable. It's still an administrative pain, though. They fixed a lot of the client issues, but managing it is still a bear.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
It's still an administrative pain, though.

Fortunately for me, not my problem. [Wink]

Anyway, that sentence could be used to describe at least a dozen things about my job. What's one more?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.