FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Competent Landlords

Author Topic: Competent Landlords
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
This apartment was the second I looked at when I came to Ithaca, on a trip that in my mind was just for scouting out the options. I ended up writing the check within minutes of speaking with the landlord (and a quick phone call to my dad). It's in a nice location down near the high school and elementary school, away from the crazy drunken college student cacophony.

I'm on the second floor, sharing part of it with the landlord, who lives on the third and second floor. Except for the next several months, where he's off to Costa Rica. Now I have the entire second floor, and get along great with the landlord.

If something breaks, I fix it myself or call a repair guy, and just take the bill off of next months rent. I share utilities with the landlord, and he's even paying for half of the electricity and gas while he's off in Costa Rica.

So, yeah. Any one else very satisfied with their landlords? (Sorry KoM)

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd start a new thread, but I doubt there'd be much posting, so I'd just like to say I'm thrilled that our basement tenant told us yesterday that she's planning on staying here indefinitely. She's a complete dream - keeps her place neat and tidy, doesn't complain about our dogs wrestling around above her (which they do a lot before we can toss them outside), lets us know when there's a problem or repair needed, and pays her rent on time every month. She's getting a puppy this January (already has a 3-yr-old Golden Retriever), and my husband and I both agreed that there was absolutely no need for us to ask for another pet deposit, since we've seen how careful she is with her current dog.

Besides being a good renter, she's also a good neighbor. When she's sick we'll walk her dog along with ours - when we're at work late she'll come upstairs to let our dogs out. We take turns clearing out the doggie doo in the backyard. Sometimes she'll loan me a magazine; if I make brownies or cookies I often bring a plate down for her. She taught my husband to drive stick. We'll be watching the coming puppy once a week when she's in class during the night.

It's nice to have people close by who can help out every now and then. [Smile] Competent tenants are awesome.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Big yes. Lives upstairs. Fixes everything as soon as you bring it up. And he extensively screens everyone who comes to live in the house (big house, 9 rooms, all full). Only cool quiet people. No slobs, lots of respect all around.

He's also letting me park my car in the driveway for free (in BOSTON), lets me borrow furniture/fans/bed/whatever I need as long as I take care of it and give it back when I move out.

My landlord is a dream--I'll never get another one like him.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.