FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think I killed the school server

Author Topic: I think I killed the school server
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have an infinite loop that keeps writting a line to a logfile.

Its now at 40 megs.

And I can't stop it, I don't own the process.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
How much free space is on the mount? Let's do the math on how long until process start to fail to lack of drive space...

Or is it on swap or /tmp partition?

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

90 Megs now.

Its on the school Linux server, which I assume is either on a create partition for each student or on the main one.

I've had gb size files before, not sure how long it can go.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternative Headlines!

Canadian Youth Destroys World's Computers With Infinite Data Loop

Canadian Hooligan Murders School Cafeteria Employee, Motive Unknown

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

115 megs. Place your bets, place your bets people! How long until the system crashes +/- 15%!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think I unleashed Tribbles upon the world.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Alternative Headlines!

Canadian Youth Destroys World's Computers With Infinite Data Loop

Canadian Hooligan Murders School Cafeteria Employee, Motive Unknown

When this hit me I almost died from laughing.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

160 megs.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that process writing to a file that adds to your own disk quota?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

yes. But I dont know if my disk quota is "mine" and has a hard limit or if the limit is simply however large the disk space for all accounts is.

I notice my admin asking me to delete some overly large files last year.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats inconclusive. Our school has hard limits per person, but also sends out emails if we approach the limits as a courtesy.

I guess you'll find out soon if you can't stop the process.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I KNEW this was a Blayne thread as soon as I saw the title.

Put this one in the Hall of Blayne.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Was it built on the backs of despairing souls who tore out their eyes rather then read my most Holy of Handwritings? Awesome.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you contacted IT to see if someone there can kill the process?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
IT would usually be the first point of contact for this question, yes. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I contacted my professor he hasn't gotten back to me.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is your program running in a process that you can't kill? (How does that happen?)

I'm asking out of curiosity. I'm linux illiterate.

(illinuxerate? Ouch. I guess some portmanteaus should remain unwritten.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

not in linux, but in Perl. I had a webpage, that sent a request to the webserver which used a perl script which I forgot to increment the loop so it became an infinite loop.

I do not own the webserver.

Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I KNEW this was a Blayne thread as soon as I saw the title.

Put this one in the Hall of Blayne.

Hehe, same here. Anything like this or "HELP! The NPCs in my MMORPG are becoming self-aware..." tips me off in a heartbeat.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your professor is not the IT department. It has been my experience that the Computer Science teachers at most colleges would be hard-pressed to find the on buttons.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should be glad that when I deploy buggy amateurish web applications to servers I at least have the admin rights to go in and kill processes or restart the server. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Now granted, this was on the CS undergrad server, so it was somewhat to be expected, but in my first Unix assignment that dealt with fork(), I spawned a couple hundred zombie processes once. Though at least I killed my process, and the system cleaned up the rest eventually.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I wonder what it would have been like if Blayne had decided to study music, or gone to culinary school, or something.

"Help! I can't resolve my German Neopolitan-2 without introducing parallel motion... do you have to resolve the leading tone if you're going to a I-6/4, or is that a V 6/4, and what's the difference????

How do I put a C# Eb D G pitch class set into lowest reduced order, and what's the vector? What's the vector!@@!*%?"

The answer to that last one, btw, is (0,1,2,6) and [1,1,4]. So don't act like music theory is that easy.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Though at least I killed my process, and the system cleaned up the rest eventually.

That's just what they want you to think.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You know that botnet that sends 30% of all spam? It was bok's zombie processes.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...or gone to culinary school...
"I can't find the right flavor to cut through the wine I'm using for this glaze omg everything is on fire forever"
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
"I can't find the right flavor to cut through the wine I'm using for this glaze omg everything is on fire forever"
[ROFL]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Your professor is not the IT department. It has been my experience that the Computer Science teachers at most colleges would be hard-pressed to find the on buttons.
Haha. Yeah, sometimes we feel that way about our CS professor, too. Unfortunately, since I started teaching this one entry-level computer course, that blew the stereotype away for our college.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Our teachers ARE the IT department.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
So how many Gigs is it at so far?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Our teachers ARE the IT department.
That seems like a very odd arrangement. What do the other teachers do if they have a problem while your teachers are in class?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

They have overlapping scheduales and some TA's but anyways my teacher read my email and fixed the problem.

If I hadnt deleted it every time it reached a certain size i imagine itve had been a gig by now.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I killed the school server
Amateur... I once killed Citibank's primary web server. You know, the ones that host www.citibank.com, one of the most heavily trafficked financial services site on the 'net...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pssh, I know a kid who once took out all of UMich's North Campus with a single packet sniffer. Don't ask me how, I don't think he really knows himself!

When I was first learning Perl I thought it'd be fun to make a self spawning program that ran itself just to see how nuts it'd get. So I wrote a program that copied itself into a file and then ran that file. Needless to say the result was not pretty. Happily enough I was SSHed into the server and I hadn't used nohup, so when I killed my session it killed all the spawned processes too.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] @ Sean,
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Python FTW
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Help! I can't resolve my German Neopolitan-2 without introducing parallel motion... do you have to resolve the leading tone if you're going to a I-6/4, or is that a V 6/4, and what's the difference????
Ok, lemme try--you have to use an inversion of the German Neopolitan so you're using parallel 4ths instead of 5ths. Still resolves to either the cadential 6/4 or some dominant harmony. Though if you're trying to get rid of ANY parallel motion, you have to do some funky voice leading.

If you use a ROOT position German Neopolitan, you can safely resolve do a V4/3 by keeping the 3rd and 7th as common tones.

Whaddya think?

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Sounds good to me. I have written a grand total of 2 flat II chords in all the music I've ever composed... that I can think. I have never used a Neapolitan- so to be honest I kind of forget how they function. All you pianists can think in chords... it's so annoying when I can't do it at all. Don't even ask me to take a chord progression dictation- it would read like this:

I, IV, something 7.... vi? I...6.... something....N2 something....V6/4 I.

Now, there is no amount of funky voiceleading that excuses voice crossing in a close position chord, so eliminating parallel 4ths is out. You don't have to anyway because the overtones don't match, so it's not "wrong."

I have to say though, as soon as I was done with Romantic period theory I started writing parallel fifths into everything- especially parallel 5ths outlining minor 7th chords. There's nothing better than a floating Debussy line. Chears for stability, jeers for Neapolitan Angstyness.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"you pianists" [Smile]

One thing I love about guitarists is their chord voicings. Pianists get stuck in root position and play all the notes of the chord, not knowing the best ones to double or leave out.

I definitely want to go back to school someday for my Master's in Music. For now, piano tuning is great.

Oh--and I can't say I like the Debussy line any more than some Wagnerian sturm und drang. Love them both.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
[ROFL] I giggled so hard I snorted.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.