FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Non-fiction Books (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Non-fiction Books
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*eyes GR meaningfully*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Black Like Me , John Howard Griffin - White journalist disguises himself as an African-American in Mississippi in the late '50s.

Wind, Sand and Stars, Antoine de Saint-Exupery - Exupery's memoir from his days as a pilot, about his love of flight, the people he met, and the truths he learned about life.

All the President's Men, Bob Woodward & Carl Bernstein - Uncovering the Watergate scandal.

Thirteen Days, Robert Kennedy - A close look at the Cuban Missile Crisis

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two that I haven't seen mentioned that have changed the way I perceive the world:
1. Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, wherein a reporter goes undercover as a blue-collar worker for a few months to see if she can make enough to earn the necessities of life.

2. You Just Don't Understand, a sociolinguist's look at the differences between male and female speech. You don't need to read the whole book to get the gist, though.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
The World is Flat... in my mind in this economy its a must read. The Reagan Diaries...very great book. Star Trek Memories...if you are a star trek geek. A Child Call "It"...a scary story with kind of happy outcome. Diplomacy...a must read.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

I'm about halfway through, and it's a hoot and a half. Thanks for the recommendation.
I'll definitely second (or is it third now) the recommendation. That's a great book.

Also, Godel, Escher, Bach is a great book that everyone ought to consider reading.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Fourth on Feynman.

We've been slowly reading through Scott Adams' Stick To Drawing Comics, Monkey Brain!, and enjoying it. Uneven (by nature of the material) but definitely some funny stuff there.

Ooh, and In The Beginning Was The Command Line, by Neal Stephenson. Very interesting if you like computers, but (lest that last comment ward you off) not in the least dry or overly technical.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.