FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Great. My roommates want to replace me. (Money troubles)

Author Topic: Great. My roommates want to replace me. (Money troubles)
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard today that my roommates were thinking about getting someone else to rent my room. That's because, for the first time, I'm having a hard time getting my money together for rent.
I've lived here since June of this year and NOT ONCE, have I ever asked them for money or not had all my money on time. We've never paid the rent late because of me or otherwise. I don't see why they immediately seek to replace me.
I know they are worried about my situation because I only have 150 dollars in the bank right now out of the 500 I need, but I am getting my family and friends to help me out. A friend of mine is willing to lend me another 100. I'm also collecting a few debts that some people had with me. All in all, my situation is just NOT so bad that the word 'replacement' should even be said.
Besides, it's not like I haven't had a very stressful school term. I failed a class (unfairly, but more about that dramallama later) and it prevented me from finally graduating. I broke up with my boyfriend because of some issues we had and are in the transition to get together with this other person I couldn't get together with for some time because of issues we both had. That in and of itself is a WHOLE other touchy issue with me that is affecting me very much.
To be honest, the last thing I need right now is the people I thought were my friends telling me that I may need to leave when they know perfectly well that I am VERY reliable with both bills and rent and I have shared so many moments with.

I know they are probably just freaking out because they don't have the means to cover me this time, but I thought they'd be more understanding about my situation and would seek of ways to help me instead of just throwing me to the wind.

They KNOW I am applying for full-time jobs now that I only have a Friday morning class. I hadn't been able to keep up with even a part time before because of school and my portfolio.

In a flurry of panic, I'm selling a lot of stuff that I don't necessarily need on eBay and craigslist.

I don't know what to do. Everyone in my family is broke right now because of the season and I think the only way I can get myself back on my feet is by selling anything that doesn't have a sentimental value or I can't do without.

This is just a bump on the road because I know that I'll have a reliable source of income for the February rent. What's killing me right now is that even if I got hired tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to collect all the money I needed before the end of the month.

Help me Hatrack.
Please. If I lose my roof, I will not be able to keep my cat and I love her too much to let her go. She's been with me for a long time now and I've grown too attached to her. Please help me.
Again, I'm selling stuff on eBay, my user name is yetzirahchick. I know I'm not supposed to solicit things, but you guys know who I am and I trust the community I have been a part of for over 4 years now.

What should I do?
I'm really scared about all this.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I endorse somebody buying Tales of Symphonia if thy have a Gamecube. Pretty good game.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
Well, I endorse somebody buying Tales of Symphonia if thy have a Gamecube. Pretty good game.

Remember it works on the Wii too!!
n_n''

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Thank you so much Tatiana.
Your actions have really touched me. I never expected that a complete stranger would offer to help me this way. I have no way of thanking you enough. This situation is very hard on me and the fact that someone is willing to help me keep my chin up at a time like this is very comforting and makes me feel really good. No stranger had ever helped me so much before. [Kiss]

Thank God I joined Hatrack.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your living situation, exactly? Are you on the lease? If you are, I'm pretty sure they can't decide to just replace you without breaking it.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Our six month lease ends this month. We have to sign a new lease when January comes.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me!!

I got a call from my mom and my brother today, turns out they're both broke and can't give me any money whatsoever. My mom works at SDSU so during this holiday season when the students go home, she doesn't earn as much. Happens in summer too.

My assets right now are: $320
I'm gonna sell a lot of stuff on Craigslist too.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're having financial issues, it might not be a wise idea to sign a new lease (which would put you on the hook for another six months or whatever). At least in Ontario, when your lease expires you simply go month-to-month and the landlord cannot just force you to sign a new lease.

quote:
You do not have to move out when your lease expires and you do not need to sign a renewal of your lease in order to stay in your apartment. When your lease expires, you automatically become a ‘month-to-month’ tenant. (Month-to-month tenancy means that you choose to automatically renew your tenancy on a monthly basis, until you give a property owner 60 days written notice that you would like to move.) A month-to-month tenant is still covered by the terms of the original lease and protected by the RTA. See Section 38 of the RTA for more information.
http://www.torontotenants.org/manual/tenancy.htm
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
In your situation, I would start getting rid of luxuries. I think your problem is that you retain the habits of the middle-class, including the attitude that you are entitled to some number of nice things. I suggest you need to dump this attitude and start thinking in terms of survival.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's why she's selling so much stuff on eBay?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus: similar law applies in few, if any, places in the US.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus, month to month rent can be considerably more expensive, at least in the U.S. You are typically paying market value, or slightly higher, because the apartment complex doesn't know how long you'll be there or when they can start looking for people to fill your space.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't work that way here because the maximum rent increase is indexed to CPI and it can only be raised once per year as well.

Its worth a quick check anyways.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true in (many parts of) California as well. Definitely worth checking state/city law.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully you get your rent situation figured out. Beyond that, though, I do sort of agree with KoM.

It's a valuable life lesson to learn exactly how little money you can survive on.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but notice that, after shipping, it would cost more than twice as much to buy your used copy of Myst (using the "buy it now" option) than it would to get it new from Amazon.

Even if I entered the minimum possible bid, waited a week, and no one else outbid me, Amazon would still have you beat by nearly $8.

Not that I'm personally in the market for that game myself, but don't be too shocked if you fail to start a furious bidding war over that item. [Smile]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Even if I entered the minimum possible bid, waited a week, and no one else outbid me, Amazon would still have you beat by nearly $8.

Around $2.20, actually. Amazon.com charges $6.06 for shipping for that item.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I didn't notice it wasn't eligible for free shipping. I stand corrected.

Still, the Amazon order would probably arrived before the eBay bid closed, it would be new, they would accept returns if it was damaged, and it would be a couple bucks cheaper. Not a bad deal.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
In your situation, I would start getting rid of luxuries. I think your problem is that you retain the habits of the middle-class, including the attitude that you are entitled to some number of nice things. I suggest you need to dump this attitude and start thinking in terms of survival.

Middle class?
I come from a very poor family, actually. That is why none of them have any money to give to me right now in my urgency.
There are things that I will not sell because they are either gifts, have some sort of sentimental value, or would just be plain overkill (like my computer and art supplies which I need a LOT for school).

I'm currently only selling things that I can just buy later when I'm in a better position. Tales of Symphonia is a great game, for example. But I can just buy it again. I can't sell something like the sculpture I made for my Advanced Sculpture for Animation class because it's part of my professional portfolio and there is no other like it in the world.

I'm even willing to sell my DS if things get tougher. I have a lot of memories with it, but I can always just buy another.

I'm almost at my goal. I plan on putting up more stuff for sale today and I'm still filling out a bunch of applications for a job.
I'm really thankful that school is no longer such a big issue in my schedule anymore. This way, I can finally get a full-time job and have a steady source of income in contrast to my student financial aid which is what I had been living on during my college years.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who is setting up in a new country with new jobs and a new apartment, and little (but some) financial help from family, I can deeply sympathize. It is scary if you haven't done it before.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Check the terms of your original lease. Some have a month-to-month clause after it expires with the terms spelled out. I know ours did in TX (where it is not required by law) just as it does here in CA (where it usually is.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Our lease is month to month after this one expires.
I guess what got me panicking so much was that my roommates said 'we may need to find someone else'. I have NEVER, EVER been late with rent. EVER.
And I never sensed any hostility from them. I think that perhaps they were panicking too because they couldn't cover me this time and they had never faced this situation before. We all get our funds from different sources. I'm the only one that supports herself, they always get a check from their parents every month so they don't have to worry about rent.
I'm thinking that it perhaps gave them a sense of security and the fact that I don't have a guaranteed check from my parents every month can make them a little jumpy.

I'm panicking a lot less now than before.
Thanks to you guys, those 70 dollars were a real miracle for me. With wings, halo, heavenly light and a choir of angels to boot. "Ahhhhhh!"

Counting all my assets so far, I have 175 to go. I have about 2 weeks left and during that time I will not stop until I have collected every single penny I need.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate this kindness and thoughtfulness. It's not even the money itself that makes me feel better, it's the fact that people actually offered it to me.

I can't even express just how grateful I am. Few of my friends and no one in my family have any money right now, so this is a real miracle. My mood instantly got 10x better when I saw the money transfers.

I was moved close to tears, really.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The donations from you guys are really, REALLY, heartwarming.

The only thing I'm worried about is that Paypal is holding the sale funds until I get positive reviews from my buyers and I get a confirmed shipment received. I just sent the packages a few minutes ago, let's hope they get there on time. n_n''

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.