FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DC Lawsuit Backfires

Author Topic: DC Lawsuit Backfires
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
This is funny.

There's a Californian company known as DC Shoes, making skateboarding fashion gear. Their logo is a D and a C (of course).

Not too long ago, DC Comics decided to sue them for trademark breach of their own logo, which also consists of a D and a C, though they really don't look anything alike (you can see the two logos in the link that began this post).

However, DC Shoes' lawyers looked into DC Comic's trademarks and discovered that, despite the fuss when their new logo was launched, they'd never actually got around to trademarking it properly.

In fact, DC Shoes discovered they had a case of trademark infringement from DC Comics.

So Warner Bros had to pay a significant sum to continue using the DC Comics logo.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that is rather amusing. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whether to believe it. I can't find corroboration for this story elsewhere. Funny if true, though.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate DC shoes. The logo is just obnoxiously big.

Edit: Awww, what a waste for my 1000th post.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit that post into a massive landmark. Perhaps some story of your life that has something to do with the letters "D" and "C".

More to the point, I think the US capital should sue both of those companies.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
This, my wonderful crowd, is what I call a 'lawlsuit'.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Add one more to the enormous stack of "reasons why intellectual property laws in this country need a major overhaul."
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.