FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recasting Past Films

Author Topic: Recasting Past Films
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
For instance: I think "Saving Private Ryan" would have been an equally interesting film with George Clooney in the role of the captain, instead of Tom Hanks. The original is of course great, but Clooney wouldn't have ruined it- it just would have been a different film.

What examples can you think of, where you could recast a good movie, and it would stay good? We've all heard horror stories, like Will Smith turning down the part of Neo in "The Matrix," turning the "whoa" into a "awww hell nawww," but what recasting would actually work for that role? What epic films would have stayed epic with a different starring actor?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Shia LaBeouf replacing anyone.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick McGoohan as Denethor in Return of the King.

Perhaps a bit obscure... I don't know why, but ever since I heard the LotR movie announced, I wanted to see Patrick McGoohan in it, and I had him pegged for Denethor. (For those who don't know him, he played the evil king of England in Braveheart.)

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Gary Coleman as the short Twin
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:

You, sir, are dead to me now. [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Samuel L. Jackson as Ebenezer Scrooge. Any of the times. [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Gibson instead of Jamie Sheridan as Randall Flagg in The Stand. He was born for that role, and it's a shame he didn't play it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

>:[
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Cera replacing Shia LaBeouf.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I want to see a duel to the death between those two. :plays the Star Trek Duel music:
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You probably meant "being replaced by" instead of "replacing". On second thought Shia LaBeouf could play Tom Hanks' role in a real-life "Cast Away", only without the part where he comes back...

Bruce Willis instead of Di Caprio in "Titanic". With a happy ending, of course.

Bruce Willis instead of Dennis Quaid in "The Day After Tomorrow". And it would be just a day like any other. Alternatively, if Bruce Willis is busy remaking "Titanic" we could get Chuck Noris instead.

Angelina Jolie as all the four women in "Sex and the City", and Brad Pitt as "the city". It would probably quadruple the male audience and reduce the female audience to a fuming Jennifer Anniston.

Eduard Norton instead of Brad Pitt in "Fight Club".

And finally, for our more traditional audiences, Jennifer Connelly instead of Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain".

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:

Eduard Norton instead of Brad Pitt in "Fight Club".

Oh. My. God... you're RIGHT!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Shia LaBeouf is awesome, I actually started to deliberately watch films that has him in it, Disturbia, Eagle Eye, etc after Transformers. Hes like one of those up and coming actors that are always in enjoyable movies. I don't have a good enough eye for acting to know better but I know I do emjoy the movies he is in.

I'ld have Ted Lewis with a slightely raspier Yami Bakura voice doing Raistlin in Dragons of Autumn Twilight, not that Keifer Sutherland was bad but his was not the voice I had in mind.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hes like one of those up and coming actors that are always in enjoyable movies.
But he still somehow isn't one.

Kate Winslet should have been Bridget Jones and David Tennant should have been Ford Prefect.

As far as classic weird retrospective casting goes - there's the story that Lucille Ball tried out for Scarlett O'Hara in 'Gone with the Wind'.
I've always thought that could have been interesting. Awful, but interesting.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see Nathan Fillion's potential being put to the test in some movie roles.

Anthony Hopkins is one of my favorite actors and I would have liked to see him in some more movies.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin, you have me rolling.

The kid in Forbidden Kingdom was a strange mix of Edward Norton and Shia Labeouf.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Carrey as Maxwell Smart in Get Smart.

Owen Wilson as Aragorn in LOTR, "Listen guys, I know the ring is 'evil' and all that, but going into Mordor . . . I don't know . . . couldn't we just say we did it and go hang out at the Green Dragon?"

Or Sylvester Stallone as Aragorn, "Hey Aragorn, you need to help the ring get to Mordor." "No, I'm not doing that kind of thing anymore." "What, aren't you man enough to do it?" "I'm not listening to you." "Come on, chicken, bok bok, what, you too old?" "Arrrgh, I'll do it!" They wouldn't even have had to write a new script, they could have used the dialogue from any one of his other movies.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
[QUOTE]
Kate Winslet should have been Bridget Jones and David Tennant should have been Ford Prefect.

Anyone but Mos Def. That was some of the worst casting I have ever seen. Mos Def is not a talented actor, although he is a good entertainer, and he took one of the most potentially interesting characters a movie could offer, and flattened it out like a pancake- he was an anti-character.
Tara
Member # 10030

Nobody should have been Bridget Jones.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

In a perfect world, no.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
In my world, the casting for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would have been:

Ford Prefect: Whoever played Steve from Blue's Clues (Ford doesn't blink, and neither does Steve

Zaphod: Jack Black

Arthur Dent... (wait for it).... Will Smith. No... don't yell at me. Seriously, think about it a minute. While the role would be changed a lot, I think Will Smith's brand of sarcasm (particularly evident in the beginning of Men in Black) would have been appropriate for the movie. I also kinda want to hear Smith do an English accent...

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
And now we can all appreciate the work professional casting directors do.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish today's Brad Pitt could go back in time and replace himself in the movie Se7en.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

Emma Thompson should not have been Elinor in Sense and Sensibility.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I wish today's Brad Pitt could go back in time and replace himself in the movie Se7en.

Thus creating a time paradox! The new universe sceeewsss into a tangent, and creates what you see around you! Biff is mayor, and your father is dead, and THIS has happened to me! (Holds up newspaper). You have to go back to 1955, and correct whatever damage Biff has done!
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
That's heavy.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked Emma Thompson as Elinor.

As for Arthur Dent ... he's quintessentially British. He has to be British. Now, if Will Smith can do British ... but somehow I don't see it. Now Steve Burns as Ford Prefect: that I could get behind. He's weird enough.

I'm still hoping to see David Tennant as the Riddler.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Ashley Judd in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Replacing Brad Pitt, of course.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.