FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disney decides to not voyage with the Dawn Treader

Author Topic: Disney decides to not voyage with the Dawn Treader
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of expected this.

After Prince Caspian failed to get anywhere near what The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe brought in...

...Still, Walden Media's partnership with Fox has lead to a couple of hits and a couple of flops. They may or may not be interested in this.

Oh, well. If it happens, I'll be pleased. If not, we still have the books. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It cost $200M to shoot Prince Caspian?!?

One of these days I have to have a look at these movie budgets, 'cause I still don't understand where all that money goes.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
This is horrible news. I don't care what other movie of the series gets made, this is a disaster. Voyage of the Dawn Treader is one of the best books and perhaps my favorite beyond the first. My excitement level was at a high point. Just seeing Reepacheep in Prince Caspian got me worked up for the Dawn Treader installment.

Very sad.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It's potentially horrible news, if Walden can't find a new partner. They may be able to.

They may not. We'll see.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

Lengthy shoots all over the world, a third of the cast in non-human, massive battle sequences...pretty pricey stuff.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

One of these days I have to have a look at these movie budgets, 'cause I still don't understand where all that money goes.

:taps nostril:

That and a hugely overindulgent studio with patience for hijinks that didn't contribute to the end product on film. See travel to exotic locations, elaborate visual stylizations of scenes that were originally written with none such flair, etc. They added that whole scene with the white witch that wasn't even in the book- why?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and an entire battle sequence invading that castle.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Dawn Treader is your favorite? I felt that after the dragon island, it went precipitously downhill.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand how it cost $200 million to make Caspian, but really, someone should have reined that in a bit.

I enjoyed the movie, a few snickers aside (Your opponent favors bashing you with his shield- better get that helmet off!), but I have to imagine you could have cut the budget by a quarter with some judicious use of sound stages, without harming the overall visual spectacle excessively.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand, it's silly they would gauge the project based on what happened with The Golden Compass. On the other hand, it's possible that whole situation kind of divided the fantasy audience.

Also, that's funny that they are even contemplating a film adaptation of the Screwtape letters. I could maybe see it with Ricky Gervais as Screwtape.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Granted, Pullman’s series isn’t a household name, at least in the states… nor should it be. It’s no Lord of the Rings caliber writing, nor even Harry Potter. It’s certainly not Narnia.
Hmmmmmm.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh MAN! I LOVED Caspian! It was so great.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone refresh my memory because I haven't read Voyage in awhile but...

quote:
The key players of the second installment, “Prince Caspian” — Ben Barnes, Georgie Henley, William Moseley and Anna Popplewell — were to return for the third film.
Okay, Ben Barnes and Georgia Henley I understand, but why are William Moseley and Anna Popplewell returning when they aren't in the book? And for that matter, what about Skandar Keynes?

That's either some bad reporting, or a hideous rewrite of the book.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Remember, when Lucy looks at the spell that would make her more beautiful than a mortal could possibly be, the Magician's book tempts her with a vision of her life in London with the unearthly beauty...including Susan's reaction to such.

It's a very interesting section in VDT...among other things, we learn that pure, sweet Lucy is jealous of Susan and insecure about whether her friends at school really like her.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Also, that's funny that they are even contemplating a film adaptation of the Screwtape letters. I could maybe see it with Ricky Gervais as Screwtape.

A film adaptation of The Screwtape Letters?! What? How?! [Confused]

(The audiobook with John Cleese was a perfect match, though.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn Treader was my favorite, too, after LWW. I'm disappointed if it won't get made. I love Reep. And the whole island of the Dufflepuds bit. I could really just picture that whole book in my head, more so than some of the others. (Maybe then it's a good thing - I never like it when movies don't look like the book in my head. Like Remus Lupin - a fine actor, but he just doesn't look like the Lupin in my head and I've never been able to get over that.)

OTOH, I'm not really sure I wanted to see all 7 Narnia books on film - I don't know how they would handle Susan at the end. She's so likable in the first movies, I don't think the audience would accept her not being there. In fact I don't know how they would handle the last book at all.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm disappointed that they're not doing Dawn Treader, only because it'd make a far, far better movie than Caspian.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, that's funny that they are even contemplating a film adaptation of the Screwtape letters.
It would be funny if it weren't horrible.

quote:
The audiobook with John Cleese was a perfect match, though.
Perfect.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I'm disappointed that they're not doing Dawn Treader, only because it'd make a far, far better movie than Caspian.

Just to clarify: Walden is looking for another studio to partner with and does still want to do Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It just won't be Disney as the studio.

It this point, Fox looks like the likeliest candidate, due to their deal with Walden. We'll see. If they don't find a partner, the series is effectively done.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the absolutely butchered Prince Caspian, I'm not all that disappointed. Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite book of the series, and if they screwed it up I may have had an annurism.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn Treader isn't my favorite, but it's my second favorite - I love the Dufflepuds.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The audiobook with John Cleese was a perfect match, though.
quote:
Perfect.
thirded
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the Horse and His Boy, and it occurred to me that it would make a great film -- it's a pretty straightforward adventure/romp, and it could be made later when the actresses for Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are a bit older.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! Of course Prince Caspian didn't do all that well. It was the most forgettable book. It wasn't even the worst (that was the last one). It was just forgettable.

The Dawn Treader is the second best, after A Horse and His Boy. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe is actually my third favorite of the series. So I was really hoping they'd film a few more.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The problem with The Horse and His Boy is so much of the general public have faded, incomplete memories of what it actually contains.

(So many people tell me confidently that Tash is a woman, and that "her" worship was based on Islam. Neither is true, but that's what their garbled recollections say.)

I think Walden and Harper Collins' efforts to get modern audiences reading the books again will be the key to the film being made.

That, and another studio picking up VDT. At this point, it does seem possible. [Smile]

JennaDean
Member # 8816

quote:
I think Walden and Harper Collins' efforts to get modern audiences reading the books again will be the key to the film being made.
If only they could get the books published in the original order again. Correct a travesty that's been going on for a whole generation.

You know, if anyone has any influence over this, the movie people might - since they're making the films in the right order. People might want the books in the right order too and finally get them published that way.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the golden compass movie was great, and the book was great as well.

I liked The Subtle Knife bettter tho...

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Unless Harper Collins goes through a regime change, I foresee the books still being published in the wrong order. They're dead set certain that a vague reference Lewis made in a couple of letters to the chronological order of the series meant that's the order he wanted them published in. Likewise, they deleted certain story revisions he made to the American version of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, revisions that in my opinion greatly improved the book.

[Dont Know]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
I thought the golden compass movie was great, and the book was great as well.

I liked The Subtle Knife bettter tho...

The His Dark Materials film franchise is about as dead as dead can get by this point. Man, did New Line ever botch that one.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She's so likable in the first movies
She's a nag in the first movie.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just that I want to see the stories put onto screen. It's that they have been doing an AMAZING job with them. They are adding to the movies elements that were missing from the books. The movies are what the books should have been. I do not remember ever feeling so strongly that a movie was better than a book but in the case of the first two Narnia movies....I was so looking forward to seeing them unlock the potential in the rest of the series.

As for the books...I re-read the first 5 a couple of years ago so I've got a decent memory of them.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Point taken, Scott.

Christine, I felt that way about Caspian - I really enjoyed it a lot. Better than the book. And I didn't mind the additions to Lion, but I felt like something was missing. It was beautiful and all, but they left a few things out (that they obviously had time for, since they had time to add so many things), and the feeling just wasn't the same as the book. The story was there but the magic wasn't. Not for me. Of course, that's the book I remember best, so probably no movie would ever match what's in my head.

Puffy - what revisions did the publishers take out of Dawn Treader? Seems they want to have things both ways - they want to publish them without revisions, but they want to revise the order based on that long-after-the-fact letter.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

For the American version, Lewis revised the chapter about the Dark Island. He felt the original trivialized the very real terror and power nightmares have, so he altered it. That's the version I grew up with.

Harper Collins decided it was too intense and went back to the original UK version, which is far less dark and ends on a mega-super-ultra-omni happy note. A note that just doesn't ring true. I can see why Lewis changed it.

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it gets made, with this new director. The first two books were my least favorite, so I didn't mind that Adamson was there to screw them up. I don't think Apted could do any worse.

I don't understand Disney's thinking on this. Prince Caspian only made a couple hundred million dollars in profit -not as much as the ridiculously huge profits of the first movie- so it's time to abandon ship? (Pun Lock key is still on, sorry) I think they'll be kicking themselves for dropping out of this. Dawn Treader has always been a fan favorite (books 4,5, and 6 are my favorites, but Dawn Treader is right up there) and I think it could do just as well as LWW.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.