FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix instant watch recommendations

Author Topic: Netflix instant watch recommendations
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I caved. I am now a member of Netflix. I only got the basic package and am waiting for Veronica Mars Season 1 disc 1 to arrive in the mail.

I am a little disappointed that it is not available for instant streaming.

I am open to expanding my appreciation for shows, so I don't want to solicit advice based on my preferences. I do, however, want any recommendations from Netflix customers regarding TV shows or movies that you know are available for instant streaming.

This is not a general request for good movies/shows. I have a long enough queue to keep me busy--especially at the 1 movie at a time limit.

If there is a show or movie you particularly like and you KNOW it is available for Netflix streaming, can you let me know here?

Thanks!

PS..if I get enough recommendations, I might just drop cable and buy the 100 dollar thingy that lets you watch movies on the TV instead of the computer.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Newsradio is available on Netflix streaming. That's a fantastic and classic show.

You can get the Dirty Dozen, I believe, which is a classic WW2 action comedy- it's a great movie.

I haven't been on Netflix in a while so I don't remember anything else.

Oh wait, This American Life is on Netflix, and that is an awesome tv show, sort of in the short documentary style just like the radio show.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinaG
Member # 11862

- posted      Profile for GinaG           Edit/Delete Post 
We've been watching Heroes on Netflix streaming.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-Put
Member # 11752

- posted      Profile for J-Put           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite thing on there is the grindhouse movies. They are the best ever if you are into cult horror. And not the double feature, they cut out a bunch in that, you have to watch them individually for them to be the full versions.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the first 2 seasons of Ballykissangel. (It got kind of meh around season 3, I think.)

Season 1 of the new Doctor Who is on, as well as a bunch of classic episodes. Don't know if you're already a fan, though. (OOh, looks like season 3 is now on too. Don't know about season 2-- yep, season 2 too.)

I've been getting a blast out of a lot of the old Gene Autry westerns but they're definitely not great-- just lots of fun in a bad-is-good kind of way. Well, the singing's great. The plot is rather bad. And the casting. And much of the acting (not from Gene, from the villains and supporting actors) and the accents. [Wink]

Rivka recommended Arranged and I loved it. I also liked Ushpizin and there was an Iranian one I liked that I can't remember the name of and am not finding, but I'll let you know if I do...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! While I was looking those up I noticed that Becoming Jane is available. I liked that too. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
King of Kong
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Awesome, thanks everyone.

EDIT: I should add that I have been streaming Jericho, but I am almost done with season 1 and it is not as compelling as I thought it would be.

It is good, but it is not great. It is a safe fall back show with an interesting story.

[ December 27, 2008, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to derail the thread much, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
You can get the Dirty Dozen, I believe, which is a classic WW2 action comedy - it's a great movie.

Huh? Yeah, it's a great movie and had some entertaining scenes, but I consider it a bit of a stretch to classify it as a "comedy".
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I believe that's the best description. It's definitely meant as a a black comedy.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh! While I was looking those up I noticed that Becoming Jane is available. I liked that too. [Smile]

It is. But after the third time I fell asleep 20-30 minutes in, I gave up.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh wait, This American Life is on Netflix, and that is an awesome tv show, sort of in the short documentary style just like the radio show.
except it's not available for instant streaming! I just went to watch it and was totally disappointed. Good job Orincoro! [Razz]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J-Put:
My favorite thing on there is the grindhouse movies. They are the best ever if you are into cult horror. And not the double feature, they cut out a bunch in that, you have to watch them individually for them to be the full versions.

I personally liked Death Proof a lot better than Planet Terror, but yes, that's worth queuing up.

Here are a few more I saw on Netflix Instant, that you might like depending on your mood:

Little Britain: Season 1
Red Dwarf: Seasons 1-8
Doctor Who: Season 3 (If you haven't seen the episode "Blink," it's one of the best things I've ever seen on TV, period.)
Eraserhead
Vertigo
The Birds
Rushmore
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Film Crew: Killers from Space
Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
High Plains Drifter
The Dana Carvey Show (This one you can't even get on DVD, and it's hilarious)
Ripping Yarns
30 Rock: Season 1
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (TV Series)
Tromeo & Juliet

I've got about 50 more in my queue, but these are a few I've already seen and enjoyed. Good luck.

[ December 28, 2008, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
except it's not available for instant streaming! I just went to watch it and was totally disappointed. Good job Orincoro! [Razz]
Well it *used* to be available on streaming. I told you hadn't been on in some time. Sorry!
lem
Member # 6914

Thanks a lot Speed. I can never not not look at a statue the same way again. Brilliant.

[Eek!] [Angst] [Eek!]

GinaG
Member # 11862

- posted      Profile for GinaG           Edit/Delete Post 
They need to get a Mac version of their plug-in, that's all I've got to say.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a mac version; this link should take you to the signup page: http://www.netflix.com/silverlightoptin
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Today I went to watch instant watch stuff and was bummed when it said I couldn't because I have a mac. I came specifically to hatrack to see if there was a solution. And tada, there it is without me even having to post the question. [Party]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
Thanks a lot Speed. I can never not not look at a statue the same way again. Brilliant.

[Eek!] [Angst] [Eek!]

Payback for Silent Hill. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
There is a mac version; this link should take you to the signup page: http://www.netflix.com/silverlightoptin

FYI, any PC users having issues with the old player should try the link as well. Guess what Customer Service just emailed me? [Wink] Works like a charm!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ugh.

I enabled it and now I'm having even MORE problems.

rivka
Member # 4859

bleh.

Have you tried calling customer service?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.