FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tech help: computer "inheritance" and ITunes

Author Topic: Tech help: computer "inheritance" and ITunes
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
As I've mentioned previously, I have recently assembled a rather nice new computer for myself. The final step in it becoming my primary computer is this: the larger hard drive from my old computer goes into my new computer (leaving the smaller one for the OS). My old computer becomes my wife's "new" computer, and a similar transition takes place; her larger hard drive from her old computer goes into her "new" computer (though I'll first wipe my old computer's system hard drive and re-install the OS, in the hopes that it will provide that nice fresh non-crufty computer feeling.)

The one big problem is this: my wife has a rather large music collection on her computer (on the big hard drive that will be transferred to the "new" computer) and has gone through an ungodly amount of work fighting with ITunes and getting most of her music sorted and rated and so on, and it would be very much preferable not to lose all that work on her "new" computer.

ITunes is not my area of expertise. I've bought a few tracks from them, but largely I've avoided them, hearing that it was rather an invasive, unwieldy, and excessive piece of software for my (rather more limited) musical needs. Does anyone have any good suggestions for transferring ITunes to a new computer and keeping its myriad ratings, settings, and information intact? I know, for example, that if we try to re-install ITunes and it tries to resort my wife's music, she's going to have my head, followed by Steve Jobs'. [Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
navigator
Member # 11895

- posted      Profile for navigator           Edit/Delete Post 
Try downloading itunes on the new computer, connecting her ipod to it, and "sync"ing. Assuming everything on itunes is on her ipod, this will transfer everything. Good luck!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
No IPod, I'm afraid; ITunes is just the program she's fallen into, largely (I think) because it provided a relatively easy and free way for her to port her large CD collection into digital format.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that all that information is stored in the iTunes music folder, so if you copy that to the new hard drive you should be okay. I use a Mac rather than a PC, though, so I'm not sure if it would be the same way on a PC. In the iTunes music folder there are files called "iTunes library" and "iTunes Library Extras.itdb" which I believe contain that information.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by navigator:
Try downloading itunes on the new computer, connecting her ipod to it, and "sync"ing. Assuming everything on itunes is on her ipod, this will transfer everything. Good luck!

You can't sync from an ipod onto itunes. Period.

You can however, simply transfer all the files and music folders to the new hard drive, whatever, and then open your most recent "itunes library" file. This file contains all the information that your wife has assembled such as ranking and playlists, etc. Remember that simply moving all the music files is one step, but activating the program with your saved Itunes library is something else.

There are walkthroughs available online about how to upload files from an ipod back onto a computer, and there are some assistant programs that will do this for you, but it sounds like the library file is what you need to remember as well.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.